Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2010, 10:39 PM

What a night!

Today, is both my bf and sisters birthday! So, I spent all day with my bf going shopping and out for a nice lunch etc, but then had to come back in to have a family dinner for my sister. My bf also didn’t feel to well so he wanted to go for a wee lie down. anyway, before dinner me and my nephew took jake for a nice walk to the park. when we came back, my mum was standing on top of the back stairs and shouted to me that there were two loose black labs in my neighbours garden (they don’t have a gate to their garden). So I quickly got jake in the garden, but as my nephew ran in the gate, he fell and cut his arm and leg. The labs must have heard the noise, and came running to the gate, which in the pandemonium of carlo falling over, hadn’t been shut right!

It was just me and jake in the garden, so I called jake to come into the house and at that exact moment, they burst the gate open and came running at us! I was petrified coz these are huge unknown dogs (huge because they were a bit overweight), who I didn’t know if they were friendly… but I needn’t have worried! They were gorgeous! They had a good play with jake… well, one of them did, the other ran around and gather all of jakes balls that were scattered around the garden! At one point she had 3 in her mouth at the one time

My neighbour (whose garden they just came out of) came round, and I suggested we took them out to see if someone was looking for them. so I got two of jakes collars (they had no collars, so therefore no way of knowing were they came from), we got a collar on one of the dogs (only just, it was only the biggest size it could go) but the other collar wouldn’t fit on the other dog, so we end up having to put on jakes harness, but she wasn’t happy with that so we had to put in on wrong… which I wasn’t happy with, but it was better than nothing. We live on a main road, so we were worried they would run on to it. So we went for a wander and asked everyone we saw, if they recognised the dogs… no one did. but everyone commented on how gorgeous and friendly there are, and some hazard a guess at them being lab x’s coz of their size but ii just said that IMO they were full labs with a tab too much weight on them. one boy we met (looked about 17) told us he would call his mum and ask if he could keep one, and even picked which one he wanted we told them that he couldn’t take one, and that we would call the SSPCA and we didn’t want them separated.

So I called the SSPCA, and they told us to take them to the police station and that they would keep them till the morning, when the dog warden would pick them up… so, off we set. We popped into the vets on the way, and asked if they would scan them for a chip but they said the police would do it. so, we walked 30 minutes up to the police station… just to be told that they don’t take dogs! the guy said the Motherwell station doesn’t have kennels, but the wishaw and Bellshill stations do. we had no car, so asked if the police could take them (they were scared of buses that passed us on the walk so were not looking forward to trying to get them on a bus!) but the officer said no, coz they might do the toilet in the van so I just said ‘well, cant you just clean it up if they do?’ and to that he said he would ask. He finally said ok, they would send a van to take them to wishaw, and could we wait with the dogs. so we did, which I loved coz I got many a kiss .

After about 20 minutes, another police officer came through on the phone, and was talking to the owners! They called up to ask if the dogs had been handed in (they actually called wishaw, and were told the dogs were at motherwell) and so they were on their way! we were all so happy, and had been dreading imaging the dogs stuck in kennels for the night. The owners were so happy to get the dogs back, and said that their neighbour had left the gate open and the dogs got out. They didn’t know till they came back from work, to an empty house. The woman had gone to the park, and the guy had gone to the old ravenscraig site, which is where the dogs usually get walked (hence why I never see them, coz I don’t take jake there) to look for them. a group of kids in the park told the woman that me and my neighbour had been in the park with the dogs, which is when she called the police. She was so grateful to us, and gave us a run back to the house. So I showed up an hour late to dinner and was home over 2 hours after the dogs had crashed into the garden! I was just so relieved they were reunited with their owners, and I found out there names!

Meg and Gem (she was the ball obsessed one ) and they are both full labs (I knew it ) and are litter sisters, which is what one of the policeman said. I also guessed they were around 5 or 6, and my neighbour guessed 2… they are 7 so I was close! With their teeth and meg’s grey chin though, I knew they wouldn’t have been 2. and I got piccies! I was holding gem’s lead so both pics are of her but you can see meg in the background. They told us gem still acts like a puppy, were meg is much more calmer. this is them waiting patiently in the police station...

sorry I rambled for so long
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2010, 10:45 PM
Oh well done you, what a stressfull day - with a happy ending
They look happy lovely dogs
(although I dont understand people letting their dogs have the run of their garden when they are out)
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2010, 10:59 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Oh well done you, what a stressfull day - with a happy ending
They look happy lovely dogs
(although I dont understand people letting their dogs have the run of their garden when they are out)
it was a great ending, and the best one i couldve hoped for oh, i know what you mean... the owners even said that the fence is broken, which was how they got into the neighbours garden, to then escape! i dont think i explained that in the first post though
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

25-06-2010, 06:29 AM
Well done to you and your neighbour. So glad they are reunited with their owners who must of been frantic.

How is your nephew ?
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2010, 12:21 PM
Goodness! Well done you for being such a kind person and rescuing the dogs!

Maybe the owners will secure their garden now
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2010, 12:52 PM
Duplicate post!!!
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2010, 01:06 PM
Aww Bless ya! Well Done I'm so pleased you managed to find the owner before they ended up in kennels......

Hope your nephew is OK too x
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2010, 06:50 PM
well done, the owners must have been over the moon, the dogs are such sweeties.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2010, 10:31 PM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
Well done to you and your neighbour. So glad they are reunited with their owners who must of been frantic.

How is your nephew ?
thanks , my nephew is ok... but has a big graze up his thigh and a smaller one on his elbow he was screaming when it happened, but my mum cleaned him up and put germolene on them and he was fine lol.

Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
Goodness! Well done you for being such a kind person and rescuing the dogs!

Maybe the owners will secure their garden now
thanks the owner said she would sort the fence as soon as she got back... i just really hope she did.

Originally Posted by Lou View Post
Aww Bless ya! Well Done I'm so pleased you managed to find the owner before they ended up in kennels......

Hope your nephew is OK too x
thanks , my neighbour even said that she would keep them for the night if they had to go to kennels (the police took our info so they could get in contact if she had taken the dogs before the owners called) so that they would be together, warm in a house until the dog warden could come and scan them. i would have too, if it wasnt for jake lol. my mum and dad would never agree to them staying here with jake... they would be too hyper all together

Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
well done, the owners must have been over the moon, the dogs are such sweeties.
thanks, yeah they were so happy and grateful to us. they were absolutely gorgeous dogs, so friendly and lovable