Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Abbas_786
Dogsey Senior
Male 

13-06-2005, 08:23 AM

Dog Chain

I've got a bit of a problem my pup has now twice got out of his kennel and ran out lucky both times ive been at home and realised quickly enough and caught him back but yesterday i had a very big scare i let him out in my garden and he kept trying to jump the fence(5foot fence) so i tied him up while i went inside to wash his food bowl i must have been inside at the most 2mins and he had sum how broke his lead and jumped the fence made me panic very bad as there is a park behind my house and he does not like other dogs the least bit. I dont want this to happened again and i sometimes have to tie him for a few mins when im feeding him etc. Can any1 tell me where i can get a decent lead/chain that i can feel safe with? ive been told to go 2 B&Q does any1 know if they have chains that i can get cut to size? it must be atleast 25meters long

Thanx in Advanced
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-06-2005, 08:53 AM
'Pets at home' sell a chain attached to a metal spike which you twist into the ground.Havent a clue of the quality,but is worth looking at though.Bear in mind though,dogs can literally tie themselves up in knots when chained-sometimes with disasterous consequences!

Personally though,i would consider raising the height of the fence rather than restricting the dogs movements inside the garden.Its easily done using 'metpost post extenders' and attaching more fence inbetween.
Abbas_786
Dogsey Senior
Male 

13-06-2005, 09:26 AM
Originally Posted by Steve
'Pets at home' sell a chain attached to a metal spike which you twist into the ground.Havent a clue of the quality,but is worth looking at though.Bear in mind though,dogs can literally tie themselves up in knots when chained-sometimes with disasterous consequences!

Personally though,i would consider raising the height of the fence rather than restricting the dogs movements inside the garden.Its easily done using 'metpost post extenders' and attaching more fence inbetween.
Thanx thats y i want such a long chaing my garden is about 110feet long, and he cant tangle him up so good with a 30meter chain, as for raising the height of my fence well i dont think the people next door will be to happy i dont want to cause problems for them. ill have a look later today if its still open when i get home from work lol
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2005, 09:27 AM
i'd be careful with a chain if he can jump the fence. Ive heard of dogs being tied to a chain, jumpin the fence and hanging themselves.

I have one of those dog tie outs from pets at home, looks pretty sturdy and the chain bit is strong. i havent used it yet but worth a try. Pets at home also do normal chain tie outs
Abbas_786
Dogsey Senior
Male 

13-06-2005, 09:32 AM
Originally Posted by Jenny
i'd be careful with a chain if he can jump the fence. Ive heard of dogs being tied to a chain, jumpin the fence and hanging themselves.

I have one of those dog tie outs from pets at home, looks pretty sturdy and the chain bit is strong. i havent used it yet but worth a try. Pets at home also do normal chain tie outs
That shudnt be a issue he cant reach the fence when hes on the chain and hes never tired anything like that before also hes not on the chain long mostly just when out of his kennel and i have 2pop inside for a few mins. Thanx 4the advice, do you know what length the chain would be? i do want somthing of a good length
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2005, 09:46 AM
the dog tie out from pets at home is i think somethin like 8 metres. Well, thats wot it looks like anyway. Might be a bit longer.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2005, 09:53 AM
You can get chain cut to length at B&Q

The best idea would be to make your fence higher.
Get some trellace, and fix it an an angle to the top of your fence, like this: \
snazy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-06-2005, 07:11 PM
If it's for a short time why don't you put your dog in a crate, this will keep him safe until the kennel is ready for his return.
Abbas_786
Dogsey Senior
Male 

14-06-2005, 12:16 PM
Originally Posted by snazy
If it's for a short time why don't you put your dog in a crate, this will keep him safe until the kennel is ready for his return.
isnt it illegal 2create ur dogs in the UK? sorry if im wrong but im sure i heard it sumwhere
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2005, 12:51 PM
Originally Posted by Abbas_786
isnt it illegal 2create ur dogs in the UK? sorry if im wrong but im sure i heard it sumwhere

No, it's not illegal.
Otherwise, crates wouldn't be on sale!