Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
BrendaMarie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-05-2010, 09:22 AM

Storm's Progress

When we first got Storm she was barely house trained at all, and that was about it.
  • She didn't know her name (Sequoia) at all, so we changed it.
  • She didn't know how to "sit" or "lay" or any thing at all!
  • She ate my underwear.
  • She got into the trash.
  • She was pretty much just a dog in the house to the people who had her before

Now she knows her new name (Storm), she knows "sit", "lay", "paw", "other paw", "roll over", and "come" (still polishing them of course, except for "paw" and "other paw", she'll give those for any thing and every thing).

We are working on having her in the front yard with out being tied to any thing, and she's doing fabulously

I know that her being a Siberian Husky it's not recommended, but how I look at it is, If we are out in the back yard with the gate closed and we have to move stuff to the front yard, or work in the front yard we don't want to stress about shooing her back inside when she loves to be with us and hates being left inside with us outside. Also If we can train her to not run off ass soon as she get's out then it's safer for her because we do have tons of company who is used to Jessie, my BCx, who can be trusted any where to not run off if she get's out side (although she does chase critters on occasion still). If she has no training in that area then the FIRST time she get's out she could take off and get hit by a car, if she has the training then it will be the 50th time (just getting a point across) she get's out, which can still happen to ANY dog, including Jessie! I'm not trying to squash her instinct to run, she has plenty of running time with us (she can run in a straight line (around a park but she don't know it's not a straight line) for as long as she wants with my boyfriend hanging on the lead with his roller blades on. She more of get's curious and wanders over to the neighbors when their dog is out, or to the yard across the street (a vary non busy street) to chase something (the times that she has gotten away from us). So solution? More attentive training and a 15ft lead with a golf ball on the end that is easy to step on to stop her or ketch her if she does get away.
New Member!
Female 

27-05-2010, 10:48 PM
Aww - she's gorgeous!! (Both of them are!)
That's great how she's coming along
I also have a black & white husky - also Storm! (Storm by name, Storm by nature! Lol)
Hard work but they are well worth it!! Keep up the good work
Amanda
PS. My dog is regularly off the lead, she goes swimming and runs with my other dog. (She does get a bit excitable at times but generally she is really good) Takes a lot of trust and patience but has most definitely been worth it x
BrendaMarie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-05-2010, 11:07 PM
Yes, her current issue is the whole "new smell" thing she's getting excellent at home (makes me nervous because she runs to the front yard but generally stops when she get's there, the same as my other dog). She got off the lead a few days ago and just ran around sniffing, didn't "head for the hills", and ended up in the doggy treat shop that was right there ha ha