Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2010, 05:53 PM

Tilly's got kennel cough!

I picked up Tilly from my friend who had been looking after her while we were on holiday this morning and discovered Tilly had to see a vet as she has kennel cough. My friend didnt tell me while we were away as she didnt want me to worry. She seems quite happy in herself and apart from the odd cough, you wouldnt know anything was wrong but apparently she was coughing quite badly during the week. She has been prescribed a course of Ronaxan tablets. She also has Tixylix cough mixture to take at night if needed. I've never had a dog with kennel cough before so was wondering if there's anything else I should know or do?
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2010, 05:59 PM
Aw hugs to Tilly and to you.

I have no experience of kennel cough so hope it passes without hitch. x
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2010, 06:41 PM
With all that you are doing then your little dog should sail through it with no serious problems - apart from the coughing, some dogs bring up a sort of frothy spit from time to time. Most, unless very young or elderly or already sick, recover very quickly.

The main thing is to keep Tilly well away from other dogs, including areas where they are walked, because it is highly infectious. One sniff of one of those globs of froth, and the kennel cough is passed on.

I am sure that in a few days she will be fully recovered.
littlefoot
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-05-2010, 07:01 PM
My Lab Zeus caught kennel cough after he was neutered. Apart from a very runny nose and a cough he was fine. I just gave him children cough midicine and he was fine after a week and a half. I did keep him in for around 2 weeks after though, as there are a lot of ederly dogs on our street. I just couldn't take the chance of Bella or one of the other ederly dogs catching it.

Sending big hugs her way.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2010, 07:12 PM
Oh no, poor mite. Hugs from me and licks from Woody xx
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2010, 07:50 PM
Originally Posted by Benzmum View Post
Aw hugs to Tilly and to you.

I have no experience of kennel cough so hope it passes without hitch. x
Thank you. She seems to be sailing through it!

Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
With all that you are doing then your little dog should sail through it with no serious problems - apart from the coughing, some dogs bring up a sort of frothy spit from time to time. Most, unless very young or elderly or already sick, recover very quickly.

The main thing is to keep Tilly well away from other dogs, including areas where they are walked, because it is highly infectious. One sniff of one of those globs of froth, and the kennel cough is passed on.

I am sure that in a few days she will be fully recovered.
She did have the frothy spit during the week but she's not getting that at all now so it seems to be getting better quickly. Thanks for the advice.

Originally Posted by littlefoot View Post
My Lab Zeus caught kennel cough after he was neutered. Apart from a very runny nose and a cough he was fine. I just gave him children cough midicine and he was fine after a week and a half. I did keep him in for around 2 weeks after though, as there are a lot of ederly dogs on our street. I just couldn't take the chance of Bella or one of the other ederly dogs catching it.

Sending big hugs her way.
Thank you. She's not impressed with the cough medicine though!!
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Oh no, poor mite. Hugs from me and licks from Woody xx
Thanks Em, best hold those Woody licks for now. Dont want him to catch it!!
michele44
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-05-2010, 07:59 PM
my sisters dog caught kennel cough and was given buttercup syrup and was fine after a short time...hope tilly soon feels better xxxxx
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2010, 08:04 PM
Originally Posted by michele44 View Post
my sisters dog caught kennel cough and was given buttercup syrup and was fine after a short time...hope tilly soon feels better xxxxx
Thank you. She's fine, enjoying the attention I expect!
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2010, 08:16 PM
Poor little Tilly. I'm sure she'll tell Lily she had Swine Flu or something like that!

The only other thing I did was not to attach a lead to their collars when my 2 had it. Just to prevent any stress on their throats.

Hugs to Tilly and I hope she is better very soon. xxxx
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2010, 08:22 PM
Originally Posted by lilypup View Post
Poor little Tilly. I'm sure she'll tell Lily she had Swine Flu or something like that!

The only other thing I did was not to attach a lead to their collars when my 2 had it. Just to prevent any stress on their throats.

Hugs to Tilly and I hope she is better very soon. xxxx
Maybe I could use it to our advantage. Some tropical disease she picked up, fighting in Nam!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >