View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Paraphil
New Member!
Male 

25-05-2010, 07:53 PM

What happens if my dog eat nexts doors cat?

next doors cat has started to come in to our garden and house, have tried all sorts of things to stop it, like pepper and sprays and fence spikes but it's still finding a way in. I'm worried that if my dog gets hold of it what will happen if he causes harm? are there laws about this?
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

25-05-2010, 07:57 PM
Originally Posted by Paraphil View Post
next doors cat has started to come in to our garden and house, have tried all sorts of things to stop it, like pepper and sprays and fence spikes but it's still finding a way in. I'm worried that if my dog gets hold of it what will happen if he causes harm? are there laws about this?
Hello, i think you will be better served posting this in the behaviour section or general dog chat above.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2010, 08:04 PM
I don't know how the law stands, but if I were you, I'd find out where the cat comes from if you can and have words with the owners, and therefore, you have pre-warned them to keep their cat out of your garden, that's what I'd do anyway. Just be careful too, because cats can do a lot of damage to a dog, and if he's a wise cat, he should steer clear anyway I would have thought.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2010, 08:23 PM
Maybe the cat is used to dogs, does it live with dogs? Cats are hard to deter once they get an idea in their heads. I too would have a word with its owner, at least they will have been warned. I also agree they can do damage. They can be quite formidable adversaries.
Paraphil
New Member!
Male 

25-05-2010, 08:29 PM
Just really worried about the law...would I be at blame and would I have to pay there vet bills?
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2010, 08:32 PM
You may, which is completely unfair. Maybe check your local ordinances? Call up the local animal control and see what they say?
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-05-2010, 08:32 PM
You can't be held responsible for the ways of other peoples animals, but what you can do is inform the owner of your concerns about their cat going onto your property and the consequences that might occur.
It is then up to the cats owners to take (or not) appropriate action to prevent their cat entering your property.

As for the law I wouldn't give it another thought, the cat owners would have to prove that you deliberately set your dog onto their cat,or used your dog a weapon to prevent their cat entering your property. That would require at least one if not more third independant party to be a witness to the event and only the RSPCA can bring a prosecution.

Tumbleweed
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2010, 08:43 PM
I wouldn't worry about the law too much. We recently had a dog in our area attack an alpaca which didn't survive, the owners reported it to the police who weren't interested as it happened on private land.

I would also try to speak to the cats owner.
gyalis_star
Dogsey Junior
Male 

25-05-2010, 10:32 PM
If your dog is in your garden or in your house and the cat wonders over is not really the same as if your dog caught it on the road ur dog is at home on your property I'd say google te law but I don't think you'd be at fault and as everybody else has said talk to your neighbours.I've been havinh the same problem a couple of months ago my neighbour got a kitten I haven't got a clue y if I live next door with a dog but then again I can't tell them what to do either way my neighbours pretty kool so I told him to be carefull that was pretty much it iam more scared of upsetting his children than the law
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2010, 11:01 PM
My cat teases next doors dog I no if anything happens it's no ones fault, maybe talk to ur neighbours?
ATD x
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >