Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2010, 09:11 AM

How/when did your dog learn to swim?

I know it's a bit of a daft question!
We've been taking Tilly to the beach since she was a puppy, she's 18 months old now & she loves to bounce around in the wave breaks, but will never go any further.
We took her to the beach this week & on the way back there is an area surrounded by a bank which is like a pond overspill from the sea. Tilly went charging down there & jumped straight in & swam for the very first time. She looked a bit shocked at first - I'm sure she just thought it was a puddle It was one of those "wish I had my camera" moments. She swam round in a circle & then climbed out, came running back to me zoomies style
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2010, 09:26 AM
Think most of them learn that way, its "instinct". Rosie loves the sea, she was never overly into swimming but goes in right up to top of her chest & watches the sea bed or sticks her nose under the water. Her arthritic probs mean she does not really get much these days. Where we are its v stoney/rocky & she'd never manage it

Katie was always scared of the sea until curiosity got better of her & she ran in after Rosie!

Harv isnt that fussed. A hose sprinkler is more his idea of water fun!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-05-2010, 09:29 AM
Bandit , when he fell in the canal at 4 mths old

Millie when she went head first chasing Bandit round the old breeding (fish) pond in the woods.. he did a sharp turn she kept going... she was about 5mths old
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2010, 09:30 AM
Cassie only swims when absolutely necessary. She loves the water but likes her paws on the ground!
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2010, 09:32 AM
Tilly learnt to swim by accident. when she was young, I was walking her along the beach. There were a flock of seagulls at the waters edge and Tilly decided to chase them. They took off out to see and Tilly went with them but didnt realise that the clam water wasnt solid!! Luckily her swin instinct kicked in quickly. It was the turning round and swimming back to shore she struggled with!
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2010, 09:37 AM
Louis was about 6 months and at first he had to be encouraged (a creek pond) he splashed out at first, but figured it out pretty quickly, and is a water dog now.
Scratch not sure but only does if he has to.
Jed well he was about 8mths in my Dads dam, it was a bit terrifying as if he wasn't able to swim it would have been challenging to help him.
The other dog Major he went in after Jed and couldn't swim, OH had to jump in and grab him, I have a photo of it, Major was not a water dog at all
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2010, 10:43 AM
when we had sam, we got him at 6 months and the first bit of water he saw, he swam in so he must have already known.

with jake, he hasnt properly swum yet (just once when he bounded in after a doggy friend and went a bit too far). now he is just gradually getting more and more courage (which i notice everyday) and now will stand in the water with his front feet on the ground but his back legs floating, so looks like a frog
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2010, 10:51 AM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
when we had sam, we got him at 6 months and the first bit of water he saw, he swam in so he must have already known.

with jake, he hasnt properly swum yet (just once when he bounded in after a doggy friend and went a bit too far). now he is just gradually getting more and more courage (which i notice everyday) and now will stand in the water with his front feet on the ground but his back legs floating, so looks like a frog
bless him! Seems a lot of dogs learn "by accident"
Tessabelle
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-05-2010, 11:01 AM
Bentley jumped into an enormous puddle (must have been 2ft deep) in the woods at almost 6 mths. There were lots of little frogs jumping in and before i could finish saying 'what is it?' he had launched himself in He vanished under the murky brown water and surfaced a second later, paddled to the edge and walked away from us and shook himself off, he was mortified It was so funny cos he wouldn't look at us; I nearly had an accident and really wish I'd had my camera We've not come across any water since so don't know if it's scared him or not!!
Sarah88
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-05-2010, 11:07 AM
Kia is still learning! She likes the sea and will go in, but doesn't like to be out of her depth. She pulls a hilarious face if she goes a little too deep by accident! She'll get there though

Sarah xoxox
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >