Female 

04-05-2010, 11:34 PM

Dog attack results in shock vets bill of £7,000

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.u...7_000/?ref=rss
2Greys
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-05-2010, 12:56 AM
I feel for the owner as it must of been a scary experience. The insurance company sound a bit rubbish about paying out, surely they should pay the vets fees and try and reclaim the money themselves from the other party rather than expect the policy holder to do it? While the other owner perhaps wasn't as responsible as he could be in securing his dog, at least it seems like he took the attack seriously and has tried to prevent a similar incident happening again by putting a fence up.

I'm surprised the vets bill was that much, though perhaps they'd tried to plate it or something first and that info was left out of the story. It sounds unusual for a dog to need to be at the vets for a month after an amputation to learn to walk on 3 legs (wouldn't they do that naturally with an injured leg?), i'm sure my friends dog went home soon after his hind leg amp and was soon back to normal on 3 legs as they had a weekend away about a month or so later.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2010, 07:24 AM
thats terrible! i would be terrified in that situation, and now she is hit with that bill! the owner of that dog should pay it all... if he has insurance, cant his cover the damages his dog does?
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

05-05-2010, 07:50 AM
I really feel for that poor woman and her dog.

Surely that cab office owner should pay up or at east some just for the trauma caused to the poor dog his dog set upon.

That collar obviously wasn't strong enough to hold that dog and I feel it should of been more secure lets hope the fence is better than the collar or is it just some shambles of a fence to try to appease the situation.

As for her insurance company I would of thought they should pay up then re-claim the monies from the person who was responsible.

Like everything else these days if you are the victim you are victimized. Everyone trying to pass the buck.

Better stop now or I might need my soap box.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2010, 11:05 AM
It is really important that dog owners learn the law in regards to these things.

If the dog was a guard dog then different laws apply to them then usual.

The police should have done more.

There must always be someone on site in control of the dog and there must be signs up warning people that there was a guard dog on the premises.

If the dog could slip his collar then the Handler should have enough control to recall the dog by command.

I had to explain the law re guard dogs to a policeman once after being attacked by one .

Also on the pavement out side is a public place and the dog was out of control
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2010, 08:01 PM
What a very sad story-poor lady, bad enough to go through all the trauma of seeing her dog attacked like that without the worry of a huge vets bill.

When Cherry was attacked by a Rottweiller the person walking the dog just started to walk away saying it wasn't his dog-he was walking it for his mother. I screamed really loudly for someone to get the police as I wasn't letting him get away with it. He stopped and came with me to the vets and paid the large bill because he knew that the dog had bitten before so didn't want the police involved.

I now carry a legal defence spray should I ever be in the same situation that this poor lady was in (hopefully not). It emits a very loud noise, bad smell and would mark the dog for a week. If this lady had been walking a small dog it could have been killed. The owner of the guard dog should be made to pay in full.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2010, 08:02 PM
What a very sad story-poor lady, bad enough to go through all the trauma of seeing her dog attacked like that without the worry of a huge vets bill.

When Cherry was attacked by a Rottweiller the person walking the dog just started to walk away saying it wasn't his dog-he was walking it for his mother. I screamed really loudly for someone to get the police as I wasn't letting him get away with it. He stopped and came with me to the vets and paid the large bill because he knew that the dog had bitten before so didn't want the police involved.

I now carry a legal defence spray should I ever be in the same situation that this poor lady was in (hopefully not). It emits a very loud noise, bad smell and would mark the dog for a week. If this lady had been walking a small dog it could have been killed. The owner of the guard dog should be made to pay in full.

Sadly from experience the police aren't at all interested in dog on dog aggression, nor the dog warden come to that.