Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
liverbird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2010, 07:05 PM

Loyal guide dog gets owner home from 120-mile journey before dying

Loyal guide dog gets owner home from 120-mile journey before collapsing and dying

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz0kFmFA9js
tokiayla
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2010, 07:45 PM
Oh that's really sad
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2010, 09:00 PM
Awful.
The dog was doing as it was asked to do. As awful as it if for those involved it does beg the question,why, when the dog had shown signs of illness, was it put in harness?
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2010, 09:31 PM
Awwwwww
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2010, 10:44 PM
Aw, how sad what a brave dog!

I dont think the owner should be critcised though, the article says it all happened within 2 and a half hours and that comet had been 'sluggish' on the journey home. He wasnt to know how serious it was.

Run free comet xx
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2010, 07:52 AM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
Aw, how sad what a brave dog!

I dont think the owner should be critcised though, the article says it all happened within 2 and a half hours and that comet had been 'sluggish' on the journey home. He wasnt to know how serious it was.

Run free comet xx
If that as one of my pups I would be furious and devestated.
Was it heroic of the dog??? No the dog was doing what it has been trained to do from birth...the owner needs to show some reponsibility...to put a dog that was 'sluggish' and refusing treats (it was a LB for heavens sake) in harness and work it???Sorry...I wouldn't put a pup in a coat and train it if it was sluggish...
HannahCB
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-04-2010, 09:27 AM
didnt it say though that it was on the way home when they where getting on the second train is when he became sluggish
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2010, 10:25 AM
Very sad - RIP Comet.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2010, 11:10 AM
He was at a conference in Birmingham on Tuesday when eight-year-old Comet started experiencing problems.

Despite showing signs something was wrong, he helped Mr Quarmby get the trains from Birmingham to Manchester and Manchester to Huddersfield and the bus to his home.

He said: 'When we got into Manchester Comet felt slightly sluggish and I thought he needed to go to the toilet.

Brave: Despite suffering a painful tumour on his spleen, Comet managed to get his master safely home after a 120-mile journey

'When he got on to the train he got under the the table like usual but wouldn't eat the treat I gave him - that's when I had an indication that something was wrong.

'When we got him home I let him off to got to the loo, he sniffed around a couple of times and then just collapsed - it was completely out of the

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz0kJjHBsAT
He knew on the train therefore that the dog wasn't right...a Lab not taking it's usual treat???
A Guide Dog works in it's harness as it is second nature. It has been trained to do it. When the harness is on it is in a different mindset. I therefore think it is entirely on the handlers shoulders to ensure a dog is never asked to work when it is ill or 'sluggish'....a dog cannot say 'I don't feel great you know' verbally, it can only do so by the way it reacts to its usual situation.
I think it is terribly sad and as I say if that was one of my pups I would be devstated that it had spent it's last hour working, despite giving indications of illness. I'm surprised people think it's okay to be honest.

Nor do I think it shows the 'strong bond between the partnership' to me it shows the opposite...that it was pretty one sided.
archies mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-04-2010, 01:40 PM
Tears welled up in my eyes then
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >