View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2010, 11:58 AM

How far in advance do you plan the next dog?

I thought I would ask this being on a dog forum!!
I have three dogs and when I got Jamie back at the end of 2006, he was enough for me, never thought about getting another... until I went back to his breeder a few times and then a seed was planted and we put our name down for another puppy, so we planned from about April 2007 and got Deacon at 8 weeks old in January 2008. Had the most rotten time with Deacon and put me off having another dog, let alone a puppy!!
Then we heard about Scorpio having to let her precious babies go and we thought we would have one and Remy arrived in July 2008, she was a stabilising influence on my two young boys and I was very happy with my lot...
Then Remy got ill and I knew I wanted another dog and didn't want to wait til after Remy left us. Codee was in the right place at the right time and in September 2009 she arrived, she had to take a back seat for a few weeks as Remy went downhill fast and she was priority. Codee took all of that in her stride. She is such a well rounded pup!
Well she is 8 months old now, Jamie is 3.5 years and Deacon just over 2 years and the ole broodiness is starting again... It won't be yet as I do want to enjoy my Codee, but I am planning my next one, but thought does everone do that or do you just go with the flow and whatever comes along comes along?
By the way, yes I know I must be slightly mad to be planning number 4!!
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2010, 12:04 PM
Awww! You're not mad thinking of a 4th! I wish I had 4 dogs!

Heehee I get broody for dogs too. As soon as we got the first one I wanted another, but wanted a puppy, so had to wait till one came along in rescue, waited around 6 months, which is hindsight was probably a blessing as it gave Zeke time to settle with us first.

Luckily, well unluckily for me, the lack of space we have here prevails. But I have planned my third one when we move, hopefully within 2 years time I'd love a border collie, or a little terrier, not sure exactly yet
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2010, 12:13 PM
No more for me for the foreseeable future. Bo is SO demanding of my time/energy/attention that I really couldn't have another like her...not now anyway!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2010, 12:38 PM
Usually when one of the existing mob is on its last legs I`m afraid!
Bran is pretty ricketty and won`t get much better. He is adored by my disabled son and also by Razzle. My son potters up the road with him and keeps him company, and Razzle herds him and tidies him up like Bran was his puppy.
So when he goes there`s going to be a huge hole to fill.
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2010, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
Awww! You're not mad thinking of a 4th! I wish I had 4 dogs!

Heehee I get broody for dogs too. As soon as we got the first one I wanted another, but wanted a puppy, so had to wait till one came along in rescue, waited around 6 months, which is hindsight was probably a blessing as it gave Zeke time to settle with us first.

Luckily, well unluckily for me, the lack of space we have here prevails. But I have planned my third one when we move, hopefully within 2 years time I'd love a border collie, or a little terrier, not sure exactly yet
At least I'm not alone with the broodiness!! I hope you can get your 4th too
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
No more for me for the foreseeable future. Bo is SO demanding of my time/energy/attention that I really couldn't have another like her...not now anyway!
Codee is like that too, so darn jealous of her brothers!! They could be twins!!
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Usually when one of the existing mob is on its last legs I`m afraid!
Bran is pretty ricketty and won`t get much better. He is adored by my disabled son and also by Razzle. My son potters up the road with him and keeps him company, and Razzle herds him and tidies him up like Bran was his puppy.
So when he goes there`s going to be a huge hole to fill.
Aw Bran... Jamie was like that with Remy, her shadow, he missed her so much when she died... I hope Bran has plenty more fuel in the tank yet hun xx

I must confess, the next probably won't be a puppy, I would love another oldie who is a calming( ) influence at Baubee Towers!! Yes a little old English setter would be lovely!!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2010, 01:49 PM
my next dog was in the planning 6/7 years ago....lol

but thats because I breed my own, so my breeding plan was researched well in advance.
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2010, 01:55 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
my next dog was in the planning 6/7 years ago....lol

but thats because I breed my own, so my breeding plan was researched well in advance.
Wow Now that is forward planning!! Will be a beautiful pup no doubt
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2010, 02:03 PM
Originally Posted by settagirl View Post
Wow Now that is forward planning!! Will be a beautiful pup no doubt
it will be if I ever get round to it, I have put this litter off for this reason and that reason and the next reason,

rotties need good homes, if you dont have enough of them lined up, you dont have pups its a sad fact.
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2010, 02:31 PM
After my old boy left us I decided to get another staffy sometime in the future, to keep Diesel company....But now, I can't. It just doesn't feel right, I feel like I'm trying to replace my old boy......And that will never happen.

So for me, I'm going to stick with Diesel, and enjoy our time together He's nearly three, but he still acts like a puppy
Luckypirate
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-04-2010, 02:42 PM
I'm currently planning for when I've left uni and got my own place...I don't even go until September!
My boy will be an oldie then, so might let him stay with my parents for his sake, although it'd break my heart.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >