Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kitty
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-03-2010, 04:50 PM

Wagg, which dry food is best?

I have only had my dog for 2 weeks, I friend had him previously and she brought with him all his things, including a nearly full bag of Wagg dried food.
I'm using this up, as he used to it and seems to eat it ok.
I was in Pets at home last week buying a few bits and they had Wagg food on special offer but even at full price it seemed to be a lot cheaper than some other foods.
It just made me think that it might not be as good for him maybe as some of the other kinds.
Dont get me wrong, the fact that its cheaper and also he seems to lke it is a good thing, but I'm wondering if I should try something else when I've used this bag up.
Thanks!
JIMMY LAW
Dogsey Junior
Male 

30-03-2010, 05:21 PM
I feed my dogs on Burns, it works for my two but it is one of the dear ones on the market. When you go to the pet shop have a look at the ingredients, try and stay away from the ones with colourants such as Bakers etc, i also looked at the ones with just meat deriatives in it, not good. What you want to look for is specific ingredients and what volume/ % you are getting. You can go on the Burns website and they also will help you with your queries/concerns.
kitty
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-03-2010, 05:31 PM
Thanks for that, I'll have a look on their Website now, It just shows that when you aren't familiar with these things, you can sometimes just presume which are better - I did have a look at bakers but, didn't look at ingredients.
Hopefully the Burns website should help me a bit with this.
Thanks again!
fredsmumshelley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-03-2010, 05:32 PM
ive recently changed my dog to collards complete... but since doing further research, which i maybe should have done before hand lol...ive found its based primarily on rice (40%). There's 26% of turkey meat meal, but the rest of it is a mixture of barley, with smaller inclusions of linseed and sugar beet pulp. (min. 4.5%) and a few other odds and ends, including poultry digest!! and at £35 a bag its not the cheapest of foods for whats in it

before that he was on burgess supadog complete

he still has his raw meat and tripe alongside the dried meal
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2010, 05:43 PM
Originally Posted by fredsmumshelley View Post
ive recently changed my dog to collards complete... but since doing further research, which i maybe should have done before hand lol...ive found its based primarily on rice (40%). There's 26% of turkey meat meal, but the rest of it is a mixture of barley, with smaller inclusions of linseed and sugar beet pulp. (min. 4.5%) and a few other odds and ends, including poultry digest!! and at £35 a bag its not the cheapest of foods for whats in it

before that he was on burgess supadog complete

he still has his raw meat and tripe alongside the dried meal
Sounds near exactly the same as James Wellbeloved (considered to be a high quality food) yet £10 cheaper. I'd say that would be a pretty good deal.
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

30-03-2010, 06:14 PM
I have a client that feeds wgg, his dog does very well on it and looks great. He feeds the chicken pet version.

My own dogs are fed skinners maintenance which they seem to do well on.

Adam
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-03-2010, 06:42 PM
Nearly all the foods are formulated to have the same nutrients. Most of us enjoy eating steak, but often have to settle for chicken. Just as you can prepare nutritious meals for yourself economically, Wagg can do the same for your dog. I suspect many dogs eating cheap foods are eating better than their owners. Many people feel better about the ingredients in Burns than Wagg, but they make no difference to your dog.

If it dog is doing well on Wagg, stick to it. Many a switch to ''better'' food is a disaster.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2010, 07:36 PM
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
Nearly all the foods are formulated to have the same nutrients. Most of us enjoy eating steak, but often have to settle for chicken. Just as you can prepare nutritious meals for yourself economically, Wagg can do the same for your dog. I suspect many dogs eating cheap foods are eating better than their owners. Many people feel better about the ingredients in Burns than Wagg, but they make no difference to your dog.

If it dog is doing well on Wagg, stick to it. Many a switch to ''better'' food is a disaster.

Ingredients in Wagg Chicken and Veg for adult dog

Wagg Complete Chicken & Veg Dog Food contains Wheat, Meat Meal, Wheatfeed, Maize, Chicken Meat Meal (min 4% in Chicken Kibble), Oils & Fats, Carrot (min 20% in Carrot Disc), Linseed, Rice, Beet Pulp, Peas (min 4% in Pea Kibble), Lucerne, Vitamins and Minerals. Added Citrus, Yeast and Yucca. With Antioxidant: EC additive.

Typical Analysis ; Protein 21%, Oil 8%, Fibre 3%, Ash 8%

And in a similar Burns product (Chicken, brown rice & veg):
http://www.burnspet.co.uk/dog/penlan...vegetables.asp
Contains:

Organic Chicken (min 20%), Organic Brown Rice (min 20%), Seasonal Vegetables (min 20%), Vitamins and Minerals.
Typical Analysis/100g:

Protein 4.80%, Oil 2.60%, Fibre 2.30%, Moisture 78.6%, Ash 1.5%, Vitamin A 5000 iu/kg,
Vitamin D3 500 iu/kg, Vitamin E 36 iu/kg, Copper 8mg/kg

So the nutrients in these two products are actually not nearly the same (for example, there is no wheat in the Burns product, which is important if the dog is wheat intolerant) and there is big difference in the Typical Analysis.

Labman, regarding your statement that the ingredients in Burns make no difference to a dog than those in Wagg - do you have evidence of a study between Burns and Wagg to show this?

I'd also appreciate scientific evidence that "many a switch to "better" food is a disaster".

Thank you.

Kitty - Wagg state that their dog food contains no artificial colours or flavours, although there is no mention of preservatives.
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-03-2010, 11:52 PM
I have explained this many times before. There is very little in the way of studies comparing how dogs fare on different diets. The lack of anything to back them up never seems to stop people from stating as fact things like that Burns is better than Wagg. I realize most of what I read on the net is nonsense because I have seen thousands of dogs thriving on common brands. Maybe Burns sounds better to you, but that is a matter of personal taste, not fact.
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2010, 12:09 AM
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
I have explained this many times before. There is very little in the way of studies comparing how dogs fare on different diets. The lack of anything to back them up never seems to stop people from stating as fact things like that Burns is better than Wagg. I realize most of what I read on the net is nonsense because I have seen thousands of dogs thriving on common brands. Maybe Burns sounds better to you, but that is a matter of personal taste, not fact.
I dont need any fact other than what comes out the other end. wagg and other cheaper brands cause runny off coloured poo and itchy skin so im sorry that is fact.

Kitty i noticed you are in preston, I use a pet shop in in PR8 (i think) and they sell 15kg of their own brand for £10, I use to use JWL and beta before but i needed to reduce my expenses after going to uni, and this to be as gd quality, Suki has a sensitive stomach and is fine on it.
ATD x
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >