Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
finn'smum
New Member!
Female 

15-03-2010, 02:07 PM

Programme for leaving puppy alone in the day

Hi, this is my first post so please be kind!
We have a puppy, a german short haired pointer called Finn and he is 10 weeks and 2 days old today.
We bought him home at 8 weeks old and things are going well if a little exhausting!!
Before getting him we did lots of planning and research and so we are quite happy with most things we are doing.
The one thing I am not so sure about is leaving him alone and the best way to do this.
We have a puppy pen 4ft x 4ft in the kitchen where his water and food is, there is also a small basket in there. We have a crate in the lounge which he always sleeps in in the day.
How do I go about leaving him for short periods, building up to perhaps half an hour to one hour alone? I have 6 weeks in which to do this.
I have left him for short periods in the play pen and altho he cannot get out, he can push the sides around so I think it would be best to do this in the crate? (but don't want to spoil how he feels about the crate). He cries in the pen when left, even if I am moving around in the room. I let him out when he is sitting quietly for at least 10 secs. He will happily chew on a pigs ear for much longer in there before whining and we do this when we have tea for example.
Is he learning to be on his own if he is alone but distracted by a tasty treat?
Do I ignore the whining for longer periods as time goes on??
Thanks
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2010, 02:57 PM
Originally Posted by finn'smum View Post
Hi, this is my first post so please be kind!
We have a puppy, a german short haired pointer called Finn and he is 10 weeks and 2 days old today.
We bought him home at 8 weeks old and things are going well if a little exhausting!!
Before getting him we did lots of planning and research and so we are quite happy with most things we are doing.
The one thing I am not so sure about is leaving him alone and the best way to do this.
We have a puppy pen 4ft x 4ft in the kitchen where his water and food is, there is also a small basket in there. We have a crate in the lounge which he always sleeps in in the day.
How do I go about leaving him for short periods, building up to perhaps half an hour to one hour alone? I have 6 weeks in which to do this.
I have left him for short periods in the play pen and altho he cannot get out, he can push the sides around so I think it would be best to do this in the crate? (but don't want to spoil how he feels about the crate). He cries in the pen when left, even if I am moving around in the room. I let him out when he is sitting quietly for at least 10 secs. He will happily chew on a pigs ear for much longer in there before whining and we do this when we have tea for example.
Is he learning to be on his own if he is alone but distracted by a tasty treat?
Do I ignore the whining for longer periods as time goes on??
Thanks
Hi, welcome to Dogsey and congratulations on an excellent choice of dog! You will certainly have your hands full, but they are sooooooo worth it. As a breed they do tend to suffer from Separation Anxiety and you are very wise to build up leaving him for short periods from an early stage. He is gradually learning to be on his own with what you are doing already, he is still very young. As he gets older you can leave him with something like a stuffed kong and gradually increase the time he is left. Sometimes you will have to just ignore the whinging and not return until he is quiet. GSPs tend to be quite vocal, strong willed dogs and sometimes you will have to grit your teeth and work through it....but it will be worth it. If you don't work this out whilst he is young he could become a really anxious,destructive dog when he is older and you try to leave him.

To begin with you just need to get into his head that he can't be with you all the time. If he can see you through gates when you are at home he will accept that he is not allowed to be a velcro dog. Build it up gradually so that he knows you are not disappearing for long and be fairly cool when you return so it is not a big deal. Make "leaving" something to look forward to because he gets his favourite toy or treat.

My GSP can be left occasionally as I have other dogs to keep him company, which is also something you might wish to consider. An older dog, capable of standing up for himself against a boisterous young male GSP, but kindly in temperament would keep him amused.

Whatever you decide you sound very sensible and as if you have researched the breed and know what you are doing. Good luck!
finn'smum
New Member!
Female 

15-03-2010, 04:16 PM
thanks for your reply maxine - very helpful.
I should add that when I eventually have to leave him in 6 weeks, he will be dog sat by a friend with 2 dogs, I work only 17 hours spread over 3 days.
I am really concerned about the possibility of separation anxiety - I really need to have a dog I can leave to go shopping/for a meal etc, don't do these things often but would like to have the freedom to do so.
I find the whining REALLY distressing but I accept that I will have to put up with it at some stage, trouble is that so far, the whole process has been whine free!!
Little and often every day then seems the order of the day?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2010, 04:41 PM
My last GSP was only left alone twice in his life. The first time he destroyed my house (curtains, paintwork, sofa etc)
The second time he smashed though a door and gate and was thankfully picked up my a passerby and spent the night in police cells while I walked the streets trying to find him.
If my current GSP is left to his own devices too long he finds something to destroy. Bless him.
GSPs are (IME) sensitive, people-centred dogs. They are lovely creatures, but don`t do well on their own.
No advice since I don`t use crates (sorry), but good luck! And have you thought of building a kennel and run?
eta -re. SA- my GSPs were / are fine as long as the other dogs are about. It`s being totally alone they couldn`t cope with.
finn'smum
New Member!
Female 

15-03-2010, 06:51 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
My last GSP was only left alone twice in his life. The first time he destroyed my house (curtains, paintwork, sofa etc)
The second time he smashed though a door and gate and was thankfully picked up my a passerby and spent the night in police cells while I walked the streets trying to find him.
If my current GSP is left to his own devices too long he finds something to destroy. Bless him.
GSPs are (IME) sensitive, people-centred dogs. They are lovely creatures, but don`t do well on their own.
No advice since I don`t use crates (sorry), but good luck! And have you thought of building a kennel and run?
eta -re. SA- my GSPs were / are fine as long as the other dogs are about. It`s being totally alone they couldn`t cope with.
Oh god, that doesn't bode well at all!!
Does anyone have a GSP they can leave?
All of the adult GSPs I have met have been such calm independent creatures!!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2010, 07:13 PM
Sorry - hopefully I have all the neurotic ones!
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2010, 07:33 PM
I should add that when I eventually have to leave him in 6 weeks, he will be dog sat by a friend with 2 dogs, I work only 17 hours spread over 3 days.
I am really concerned about the possibility of separation anxiety - I really need to have a dog I can leave to go shopping/for a meal etc, don't do these things often but would like to have the freedom to do so.
I find the whining REALLY distressing but I accept that I will have to put up with it at some stage, trouble is that so far, the whole process has been whine free!!
See how you go, but if you have serious problems and you have space for another dog that may be your best bet. Mine is happy to be left with his doggy pals to snooze for up to 6 hours if we go out for the evening, but left alone he would howl constantly and wreck my kitchen.
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2010, 07:38 PM
Oh god, that doesn't bode well at all!!
Does anyone have a GSP they can leave?
All of the adult GSPs I have met have been such calm independent creatures!!
Mine gives that impression when we are out too. When he can't have his ball he hunts for plastic bottles in the woods! You see here he has tracked one down...

No, I lied he's really an obsessive loon!!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-03-2010, 07:40 PM
Hi Tina and welcome to Dogsey yes little and often is the way to go. If I am reading this correctly you are having a puppy sitter when you are at work so I guess you won't be leaving your puppy for long periods on a regular basis.

Because I have new puppies with me at night until they have gained a little confidence and are into a house training routine I make sure they have some time on their own during the day so that they gradually get used to being left alone (though my dogs are rarely left these days and the last three went to work with me ) .
I usually use a home made playpen or puppy safe kitchen (with a stone floor and no wires) when leaving puppies and have recently used a crate but only for a short period like an hour.
This is what I do to get puppies used to being left alone ...
I start training this when the puppy is very small by leaving it alone for short periods during the day and gradually extending the time. The best time to leave it is after a meal and a play when it is naturally inclined to sleep.
What you want to achieve is to teach the puppy...
..your not being there is no big deal,
..when you leave you will always return,
..when you are with him he will not automatically get your attention all the time,
..he will get attention when you are ready,

First take the puppy out to relieve himself so you know it is 'empty', then using the room he spends the most time in and where his bed is, go out of the room (closing the door or baby gate) and ignoring him no word no eye contact. The bed should be comfortable with a safe chew toy and something you have worn like a tee shirt.
..after a moment return to the room and do something like going in the cupboards still ignoring the puppy,
...go in and out of the room a few times always shutting the door and ignoring the puppy both when you leave the room and return. If he is making a noise wait for a moment until there is a pause in the sound before entering the room .
...eventually go back in the room and this time stay and perform some task, when the puppy is quiet and not bothering you speak to him and give him lots of praise,
...you need to do this exercise a few times each day, vary the length of time when you are out of the room and gradually increase it.
Progress to leaving the house for a few moments following the same ignore/no fuss routine.

Also try leaving the radio on with a voice programme, this will mask the sound of your movements and can be comforting for a puppy .
DAP diffusers can also help to calm a dog.
Try leaving some interesting safe chew toys like Nylabones, a kong or an 'Everlasting Treat Ball' with the chicken flavoured disks in the sides (make sure you get a large size a puppy can't choke on) .

Remember any time the puppy is doing nothing but sitting quietly in his bed give him praise so he learns this is a behaviour which brings the reward of your praise.
I Hope all goes well for you..
finn'smum
New Member!
Female 

16-03-2010, 03:55 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Tina and welcome to Dogsey yes little and often is the way to go. If I am reading this correctly you are having a puppy sitter when you are at work so I guess you won't be leaving your puppy for long periods on a regular basis.

yes that is right

Because I have new puppies with me at night until they have gained a little confidence and are into a house training routine
we are doing it this way altho his night routine is still all over the place and sometimes it is possible to settle him without toileting if he has woken fairly soon after a toilet break. We are settling him by opening the crate door and saying bedtime Finn, waiting til he settles and then closing the door back up - does this sound alright??
I make sure they have some time on their own during the day so that they gradually get used to being left alone (though my dogs are rarely left these days and the last three went to work with me ) .
I have started this in earnest today with some success!! Found the whining more manageable than I thought I would
I usually use a home made playpen or puppy safe kitchen (with a stone floor and no wires) when leaving puppies and have recently used a crate but only for a short period like an hour.
We have both, pen in kitchen, crate in lounge and am putting him for alone time in both
This is what I do to get puppies used to being left alone ...
I start training this when the puppy is very small by leaving it alone for short periods during the day and gradually extending the time. The best time to leave it is after a meal and a play when it is naturally inclined to sleep.
What you want to achieve is to teach the puppy...
..your not being there is no big deal,
..when you leave you will always return,
..when you are with him he will not automatically get your attention all the time,
..he will get attention when you are ready,

First take the puppy out to relieve himself so you know it is 'empty', then using the room he spends the most time in and where his bed is, go out of the room (closing the door or baby gate) and ignoring him no word no eye contact. The bed should be comfortable with a safe chew toy and something you have worn like a tee shirt.
..after a moment return to the room and do something like going in the cupboards still ignoring the puppy,
...go in and out of the room a few times always shutting the door and ignoring the puppy both when you leave the room and return. If he is making a noise wait for a moment until there is a pause in the sound before entering the room .
...eventually go back in the room and this time stay and perform some task, when the puppy is quiet and not bothering you speak to him and give him lots of praise,
...you need to do this exercise a few times each day, vary the length of time when you are out of the room and gradually increase it.
Progress to leaving the house for a few moments following the same ignore/no fuss routine.

Also try leaving the radio on with a voice programme, this will mask the sound of your movements and can be comforting for a puppy .
DAP diffusers can also help to calm a dog.
Try leaving some interesting safe chew toys like Nylabones, a kong or an 'Everlasting Treat Ball' with the chicken flavoured disks in the sides (make sure you get a large size a puppy can't choke on) .

Remember any time the puppy is doing nothing but sitting quietly in his bed give him praise so he learns this is a behaviour which brings the reward of your praise.
I Hope all goes well for you..
Fantastic advice thanks and already using it!!!
Comments welcome on anything I am doing!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >