View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
loupoppins
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-03-2010, 12:04 PM

Getting dog to differentiate various commands?

Hi all
I have a few questions about training,please bare with me!
Bella is just turned 1 and is being a bit of a teenager LOL so we are going back to basics with her!
I have decided to use a clicker to polishup the commands she has already learned (although apparently totally forgtton! )
So I was workingon getting a really good instant sit from her....but thing is since learning down she always does down instead of sit,and doesn't differentiate the commands "sit" and "down"
What is the best way to help her differentiate commands? Should I persist with just "sit" for a while? I don't want herto forget"down" though, cause that is really useful (especially with her recall going downhill recently...sigh...)
Maybe Ishould just stick with "down" and forget Sit LOL. Then again, I still feel she is not actually responding to the command as such...just she knows I want her todo something, so goes through her repertoire....
We got her at 6months, and she had had no training,she was doing really well,but sadly has definitely hit that teenage period... Bless her. She is sweety really!
Any help for getting her to really differentiate the different commands?
TIA
fluffymummy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-03-2010, 12:27 PM
Hi,
Maybe you're too ambitious with her so she's getting confused?
If I were you I'd only do one command in one session and practice it in different situations (outside with distractions etc) until it's reliable. Maybe add a hand signal too as well as the word? Mix high and low value treats.
Then move onto the next command and do the same.

She won't forget them, you could always ask for sit whenever you put the food down etc, until you see it being automatic - for example I'm expecting my dog to be polite and sit before I (or anyone else) give him food or treats even if I don't ask and he does it. You could also add wait to it. If you find that she's getting confused, lure her back into sit or any position you're practicing and reinforce the word and hand signal. Good luck!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2010, 01:18 PM
I only teach one thing at a time. When the dog has captured it I move on to the next, but occasionally test the first one (to check they really have got it)
But then I use a hand signal as well as a word. And the hand signal acts as the lure at first. So for sit the hand with the treat goes up (bum goes down). For Down, the hand goes down,. That way it`s not possible to confuse the two as the dog is following the hand.
loupoppins
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-03-2010, 01:32 PM
Thanks both. Yes, I did teach her one thing at a time. We did Sit first,then Down, then Stay, only moving on when she had mastered each one. Only now she seems to be becoming selectively deaf,so I thought I would polish up the basics, and was trying to work on "sit" but kept getting "downs" LOL
Hand signals are a good idea. I have one for down,but not sit. Will introduce one to help her differentiate. Thanks all
Teenagers are such hard work LOL
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2010, 04:04 PM
Ah. In that case I`d up the value of the reward. Daisy will work for biscuits if there`s nothing better. She will train for liver. BUT she will jump through hoops of fire for her BALLIE!!!!!!!!
Nothing improves a dog`s IQ quicker than the appearance of something they really really want!
loupoppins
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-03-2010, 06:16 PM
yes, think I need to up the stakes. Sheisn't really that food motivated to start with so it's hard....
Oh,she loves tuna though....must look out that thread about making tuna treats....
Thanks for the tip
loupoppins
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-03-2010, 06:18 PM
oh could use her ball though...make her sit/down/whatever before I throw her ball...now I reckon she would do ANYTHING to play with her ball Not so easy to do in the lounge though LOL