Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2010, 06:17 AM

IBS Any Tips Please?

I finally succumbed and took myself off to the doctors yesterday after spending most of the last couple of days on and off the loo with awful stomach pains and masses of wind.
I've had the symptoms but milder since I had the Nuerovirus in mid Feb, by yesterday morning I was so uncomfortable though I had to give in and head to the docs.
She has told me no dairy products, which I thought fair enough until I drunk my coffee without milk (Yuk) and had a piece of toast without butter (double yuk) dry hard toast is just not nice.
She has also perscibed me some Mebeverine and asked me to do a stool sample.
After pressing on my stomach and nearly sending me through the roof on a couple of spots she told me if the pain gets any worse to go straight back as it could also be appendix . I don't think it is though.
Any tips on how to beat this please would be much appreciated and food tips too as being without dairy is harder than I thought.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2010, 06:51 AM
As a long term sufferer from IBS you would think I would have some good advice - sadly I don't - I just live with it.

Google IBS, Bev - there's a wealth of knowledge and advice out there.

Hugs xxx
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

05-03-2010, 07:37 AM
If you like marmite you could spread some thinly on dry toast to make it taste better. Other than that no ideas sorry Bev.
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2010, 07:45 AM
i use vitalite margerine and that doesn't contain dairy. even my kids like it and although it doesn't have the creamy taste of butter, it is pretty good! i've also tried soya milk and it's not as bad as i thought, especially in hot drinks. infact the soya range isn't too bad at all.

hugs to you. xxx
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2010, 08:07 AM
When I have pain I use a hot water bottle on my back and stomach. I tried those probiotic drinks but that will defeat your no dairy thing. Are you not allowed dairy as your intollerant to it? I found Yakult like things eased the pain at times.
Sorry your suffering, its a horrid thing to experience.
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2010, 08:09 AM
First of all, silly question but is it deff dairy products that set you off?

Soya milk, rice milk.

my doc was useless when I went to see her, I think its nuts that set me off but not 100%,
ATD x
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2010, 08:11 AM
oh and i also use the activia or the asdas own version and they help
ATD x
Dachshund
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-03-2010, 09:15 AM
As a mis-diagnosed IBS sufferer for many years I totally sympathise with the pain and the other problems that come with it.

I started after a bout of D&V 13 years ago, and it has gradually got worse since.

After upwards of 56 tablets a day, being evaluated by a psychiatrist, sent to an eating disorders clinic and forced to take anti depressants (which I binned I will add!) I eventually discovered the problem, I'm actually gluten intollerant....

Food allergies are right at the bottom of most GP's thoughts and can happen almost over night.

I hope your can get to the route of your problem and quickly, If you want to chat feel free to pm me and I can talk you through what I went through see if I can offer any help x
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2010, 09:44 AM
Thanks everyone. I don't know if I am intolerant to dairy products, the DR just told me not to have them as it will make it worse.
I think now I look at it that I have suffered with this mildly for a couple of years at least, as I know chocolate can cause me to spend a long time in the loo.
It just suddenly hit me badly now and has been keeping me awake at night and making life awkward.
These tablets do seem to be helping a bit though and I'm not feeling as bad as yesterday.
I will try the soya milk and non dairy marg its got to be better than nothing at all.
Marmite though, no yuck, can't bear that
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2010, 09:55 AM
Generally dairy products can cause digestive problems (not in everyone) so it's usually a safe bet to tell people to cut them out!

Can you have jam or marmalade on your toast? I love really bitter/sharp lemon marmalade

If you can't stomach regular tea or coffee with no milk, try fruit or herb teas, or just hot water with lemon in.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >