Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2010, 04:55 PM

Hanging baskets

I've decided I want some hanging baskets in my garden this year to provide some colour but I want the ones that attach to the wall and are sort of semi-circular. I want about 9 and they're not amazingly cheap so I'm thinking if it would be just as easy and cheaper to make some.

Anyone done this and if so can anyone make some suggestions of how to go about it please?

Also suggestions of what to plant in them are welcome, I'd like to attract the bees if possible so they can pollinate my veggie patch.

Thanks in advance guys!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2010, 08:11 PM
I get mine from Wilkinsons. I bought some ice-cream cone shaped ones and they lasted me 3 years. They were out in all weathers. They were the princely sum of £2.95 each, and at that cheapo price, they owe me nothing.

Never made any - just not that clever.

Good luck!
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2010, 12:41 AM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
I get mine from Wilkinsons. I bought some ice-cream cone shaped ones and they lasted me 3 years. They were out in all weathers. They were the princely sum of £2.95 each, and at that cheapo price, they owe me nothing.

Never made any - just not that clever.

Good luck!
never thought about wilko's! Might have to take a trip into town on the weekend. I think I remember seeing your ice cream cone baskets in a photo once where they were snow covered and actually looked like ice cream cones!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2010, 06:45 AM
Originally Posted by esmed View Post
never thought about wilko's! Might have to take a trip into town on the weekend. I think I remember seeing your ice cream cone baskets in a photo once where they were snow covered and actually looked like ice cream cones!
Yep, that was them..... they're still out in the garden at the moment, but are on their last legs, as it were.

Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2010, 10:57 AM
Have a look in Wilko's as suggested or the local £ shop....Aldi and or look in the bigger DIYgarden stores as at the moment due to the weather being so bad a few are selling off the Spring baskets so you get a couple of weeks of colour from the plants and the baskets at a resonable price....haggle
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2010, 02:16 PM
Have found some nice ones on Wilkinsons that i'm going to order. Can anyone tell me if I have to buy liners for them as well? In the picture they just have plastic lining inside?
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2010, 02:30 PM
What is the liner like...have you got a link if so post it or tell me where you have seen them and I willhave a look and see if I can help.

Although I often get open baskets and line them with the compost bags....one bag usually makes 4 liners cut across so corner is intact black side facing out when the plants grow you don't see it anyhow
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2010, 02:46 PM
Here's the link to the basket and the suggested liner is further down the page:

http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/Hanging...m/invt/0261151
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2010, 03:12 PM
That has a liner by the looks of it. If you want to protect your liner and make it easy peasey..........and last longer....before you plant it up put a plastic carrier bag inside (cut it down) and stab a few holes in for drainage and then effectively you are planting in the carrier...eand of the season throw it away....the carrier not the basket.

It looks like it does not need a liner......use the carrier bag idea much cheaper anyhow.

Hope that helps....
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2010, 05:11 PM
Yeh thanks that does help!

I thought they needed one of those brown liner thingy's. The carrier bag idea is really helpful too!!