Our sister sites
Our sister sites
nddogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-02-2010, 04:41 PM

Whippet's paws getting battered

Hi

Our new(ish) 14 mth re-homed whippet loves to race about and play with our other dogs but when running around the field his feet must brush against the grass as his 'nuckles' get red and look a bit battered and yesterday there was a smudge of blood like he'd nicked or graised one of his nuckes hes got thin skin and a short fur which I think is the problem.

He doesn't seem in pain or at all bothered as just carries on running but does any one think we should put boots on him to protect his feet if so can you recomend any

OR is there any thing else we can do

Thanks

Sophie
gonchie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-02-2010, 05:57 PM
My pup has recurrent cysts on her front paw and frequently needs surgery. We found mikki boots a great help in keeping it dry and protected. HTH
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-02-2010, 12:07 AM
Hi Sophie my neighbour has two Whippets and they seem to get cuts and scratches all the time, I think maybe some Whippets have quite a delicate skin which gets little protection from their fine coat. I don't think the cold wet weather helps.

I am not sure it boots will stay on very long.
The only protection I can think of is the thin size of turbigrip stretch bandage which can be cut to any length and rolled on and off the legs easily. Putting something like this on may give the sore knuckles a chance to heal
loraine
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-02-2010, 12:32 PM
Hi sophie
My mums AB suffers with this and when she took him to the vet he said it was the tar mac and the paving stones which was causing this to happen rather than the grass or fields, he has an allergy to them, he gives her some cream to put on when this happens there is not a lot you can do, i think boots are a good idea and while he is still young it would be a lot easier to start training him to wear them.
Just google boots for dogs and you will find something there, they are expensive but they are worth it.
Good luck!
nddogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-02-2010, 06:10 PM
My pup has recurrent cysts on her front paw and frequently needs surgery. We found mikki boots a great help in keeping it dry and protected. HTH
Poor pup thanks if we dicide to get some boots will look out for them.

I am not sure it boots will stay on very long.
That was what I wondered

The only protection I can think of is the thin size of turbigrip stretch bandage which can be cut to any length and rolled on and off the legs easily. Putting something like this on may give the sore knuckles a chance to heal
Thanks, his skin istn't really broken but after hes been running they look very red as if soon he would get skin rubbed off. will look up turbiggrip sounds good, and expect like yo said will have less of a problem when it warmer and dryer at the mo its either hard forst with little bit of snow or in warms up and chucks it down

Hi sophie
My mums AB suffers with this and when she took him to the vet he said it was the tar mac and the paving stones which was causing this to happen rather than the grass or fields, he has an allergy to them, he gives her some cream to put on when this happens there is not a lot you can do, i think boots are a good idea and while he is still young it would be a lot easier to start training him to wear them.
Just google boots for dogs and you will find something there, they are expensive but they are worth it.
Good luck!
Thanks but I really don't think it can be any thing other than from running around the field as he knuckles only get really red after doing this.

Right thanks all, will go have a look at boots and turbigrip.
*SJ*
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-02-2010, 06:23 PM
Have you thought about greasing his feet before he goes for a run, similar to what they put on horses legs before going across country? Not sure if it would help or not, just a thought.
Freyja
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-02-2010, 06:25 PM
You could try strapping his legs up with vet wrap when he's running. They do it with the racing whippets to protect their legs.
nddogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-02-2010, 10:31 AM
Never though of greasing that could do it with out having to put something on his feet that he might take off will see how much it costs
*SJ*
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-02-2010, 11:02 AM
Originally Posted by nddogs View Post
Never though of greasing that could do it with out having to put something on his feet that he might take off will see how much it costs
Sudocream would probably be a good one to try. I use it on the horses in the winter to protect their heels from mud fever. It's a good barrier cream.