View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2010, 08:09 PM

Healthy food - additives, sugar, salt, saturated fat, etc.

I've been really careful with my daughter's diet. I never add salt, rarely use sugar other than when I have to in baking, I never get anything with artificial additives (preservatives, sweeteners, colours, flavours) and she has been brought up to enjoy fresh veg, fruit and natural fish without coatings, although I do make fish cakes sometimes. I tend to cook her meals, rather than get anything processed (other than stuff like bread, etc.).

She has had some problems with eczema, which I have reason to believe is made worse by artificial stuff (which wasn't given to her by me!).

Anyway, I wonder why I bothered! I contacted the county school meals providers to enquire about the quality of their food. While they boast that their meals are of excellent quality, are healthy and provide far more variety than a packed lunch (true), they have had to admit that they do use salt, sugar and fat but can't give quantities because their nutrition is calculated over a 3-week menu.

Also, they do use artificial stuff, although they liaise with the Hyperactive Children's Support Group (I will contact them too about this). They don't use organic or free-range meat and poultry and all their fish is coated because that's what children prefer! Well, some might but my child is very happy with natural salmon, tuna, cod, sardines because that's what I have always given her.

What gets me is that if you want to provide a packed lunch, it is policed by the school (according to the 'latest' Government Guidelines ) and they provide a packed lunch sheet on what is and is not acceptable (!) and you mustn't include certain items, yet their own menu includes stuff - such as 'sticky chocolate muffin', which would not be allowed in the packed lunch!

I'm fed up now. I know I might come across as picky or even neurotic, but she's my little girl and I just want the best for her - I really believe that a good diet is fundamental to good health and a healthy immune system, which she seems to have and I don't want to compromise.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

22-02-2010, 08:42 PM
Well I for one completely agree with you! And I would be just as angry

I would go with the packed lunch - after kicking up a fuss about the quality of their food and how you feel it has had a negative impact on your child's health.

I would also get together with other parents and campaign for better standards. It's a long shot but it may work - although tbh, there's only so far they would go. Hence why I'd go with a healthier packed lunch
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2010, 08:51 PM
Oh Linda, I would be exceedingly miffed and not a little rebellious...... I'm not sure how they can demand that you feed your own child what they see as fit, especially as it so blatantly isn't.

Angry, angry, angry!
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2010, 09:40 PM
Thanks guys and sorry about the rant. I'd just finished my reply so I was a bit annoyed. I will probably try to go for the packed lunch but I can just imagine what will happen when she sees some other kid tucking into the coated fish and sticky chocolate muffin, while she's got healthya tuna roll, fromage frais and a banana.

I guess I can work on the school and caterers.
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-02-2010, 09:58 PM
My 3 have always taken a packed lunch due to rubbish that the school want to feed them! As they are vegetarian it is even worse what they turn out for them! And don't get me started on the lunch box patrols in school. Mine have had their boxes opened and examined in front of the class much to my great annoyance. My daughter even came home from school telling me that the small treat I had put in her lunch box had been taken away by the staff. Don't get me wrong I applaud the attempt to educate children about healthy eating but like you have said their menus leave alot to be desired. My kids all do very regular exercise and are not at all overweight (unlike their mum ) so I think I can include a treat for them if I like. They are mine!!!

Go with your healthy lunchbox most of her new friends will have chosen that option too and you will find that the values you have put in place already will stick with her!

Phew rant over think that touched a nerve
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2010, 10:17 PM
They examined the lunch box in front of everyone? That is outrageous! This is all typical of these times and this Government - they want to police everything! I hope they gave the treat back afterwards? What right have they to remove treats when they are providing similar stuff - and charging more for it!?

Pre-school are almost funny. They provide a mid-morning healthy snack of fruit and vegetables with milk or water. Great!

But if it's someone's birthday and they've brought cakes in, or if they've been cooking biscuits etc., they hand these out as the children leave ... right before they are due to have their lunch! Ever tried to prise a chocolate cake from a 3 year old's tight little grip, with the promise they can have it AFTER their lunch (while hoping they'll forget, which they never do)?
Azz
Administrator
Male 

22-02-2010, 10:20 PM
I think if I had kids I would do some psychology stuff on them - like go to eat a chocolate bar and pretend it tastes yucky. Or make funny faces like it's making me sick or something

(Sorry thought that'd cheer you up LS - can just imagine you doing that ).
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2010, 10:35 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
I think if I had kids I would do some psychology stuff on them - like go to eat a chocolate bar and pretend it tastes yucky. Or make funny faces like it's making me sick or something

(Sorry thought that'd cheer you up LS - can just imagine you doing that ).
Yep, done that! You know me too well!

I did it today. Carys announced that she liked sweeties (I don't know how - I've never bought the things!) so I said, "yeuck, I don't like sweeties" but she just said, "Oh. I do!"
Azz
Administrator
Male 

22-02-2010, 10:40 PM
Lol kids eh!

If that didn't work then I'd prob buy some chilli and mash it up in sweet-like mixture or something and say, here I thought you like sweeties.

Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2010, 10:51 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Lol kids eh!

If that didn't work then I'd prob buy some chilli and mash it up in sweet-like mixture or something and say, here I thought you like sweeties.

Now that might work!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >