Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2005, 09:32 PM

back to back breeding

wanted to know your thoughts on back to back breeding if say a bitch has one pup or non ........I know some breeders breed on the next season

reason is my vet thinks we were unlucky and Pippa is in good health and he recommends we try again next season ....
rocky
Dogsey Senior
Male 

02-06-2005, 07:47 AM
hi i know a lot of breeders who do mate on the next season if the bitch has only had one pup. I personally wouldn't as she has in my mind still gone through the whole birthing process.However if she hasn't had any pups then i would mate her again, in fact that happened to me last June ,and im waiting for her to come in again so i can mate her.
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2005, 07:57 AM
My vet always told me it's the rearing of pups that takes it out of mum, not the whelping, so I would say go for it, she's been checked over by your vet who said she was in excellent health and condition. When my Daisy lost her litter back in the summer, I wasn't sure whether to try again, but we did next season and she ended up with 8 pups.

You have the full support of your vet and if you feel happy with it I say go for it.
Louie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2005, 08:41 AM
I agree with CC, Pippa will be back to herself in no time at all and will still be in peak condition. If your vet has given you the go ahead i would go for it. Just to add, a lady i know had a singleton dead pup in a litter a couple of years ago, her vet said she should try again next season, she got five healthy pups next time
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2005, 08:56 AM
I spoke to pippa's breeder yesterday ....she said the same thing happend to her mum ..she had a litter of 4 same as pippa then one dead ruby boy second time then she mated her again the next season and Pippa was one of 6 healthy puppies ..........as long as pippa clears a heart test test month i may consider doing this .........her line is too good to loose