Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SomersetWestie
Dogsey Junior
Male 

14-02-2010, 11:45 PM

Bloat - risks

We have a six month old westie. I take her for a half hour walk in the morning and at night about 10 minutes after she finishes eating. I read somewhere that this could cause 'Bloat'. I then just read elsewhere that only large dogs get bloat. Who is right?
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2010, 01:16 AM
Irrespective of size I would always wait an hour after feeding before exercise - much better to be safe than sorry.

Helen
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2010, 02:38 AM
We had a dachshund bloat in the ER right after Christmas, so it can happen to small dogs, but its more common in large breeds and deep chested dogs. No one is really sure what causes bloat, if its any one thing. The more you read about it, the more conflicting information you will find. But I look at it this way. If I exercised ten minutes after eating a meal, I probably would get a stomach cramp, or at least not feel very well. Best to wait at least an hour. And if you feed after excercise, wait until they are well cooled down and relaxed for the same reason, can cause stomach upset.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2010, 06:35 AM
It is generally deep chested dogs that suffer, and these tend to be the larger breeds.

However, I wouldn't walk a dog only 10 minutes after a meal....... it's not long enough.
Stinka_Inca
New Member!
Female 

20-02-2010, 07:34 PM
I have a lurcher and walk her before feeding her. When we get in she has a drink and I prepare her food - she and my doberman have always been ok like this.

I would never feed then take out though
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2010, 08:21 PM
No - I always wait an hour. Can`t you take her out before her meal?
SomersetWestie
Dogsey Junior
Male 

20-02-2010, 10:51 PM
I certainly do now though! I originally thought 'oh, feed her first then she will poo outside on her walk'. Now we walk first, have a half hour break then feed.
Thanks everybody for your replies.