Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nlulu
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-01-2010, 01:06 PM

Bit of advice about noisy puppy please

Sherlock is now 12weeks old and tho he has eventually settled in his crate at night time without a fuss but Im struggling first thing on a morning he makes such a noise to be let out. I have to eventually get him out as he just doesnt stop.....tho I do ignore him and just take him straight outside then back into the kitchen while I get ready for work....this sometimes works but other times he makes more noise because I have left him again.

He also comes to work with me (a shop) and is left downstairs with my older dog and is in the most very good (he is taken out regularly and people always coming and going throughout the day) but he seems to every now and then get worked up and make a huge fuss.

I have tried ignoring him but he just escalates and gets himself worked up in a frenzy. I am now trying to come into the room and ignore him untill he goes quiet then get him playing with his toys to distract him but Im worried that he is learning how to get somebody to come to him now.

My biggest worry is that someone will complain about the noise and I wont be able to bring him to work which will make things very difficult.

Has anyone got any advice on how to teach him to be quiet?
thank you
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2010, 01:10 PM
Why aren`t you letting him out?
He`s still a baby. I`d be more worried if he didn`t wonder where his mum was in the morning when he wakes up hungry and needing a wee.
Nlulu
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-01-2010, 01:30 PM
I am letting him out during the night and I get up at 6.30 so he goes out then too....but if I dont get down in 2secs flat the noise starts. I just dont want him learning that making a noise gets him attention. Maybe I am doing the wrong thing (hence asking for advice) I have always been told that ignoring bad behaviour is the best thing and if he learns that noise gets him what he wants then he will always do it.....

please dont think I am being cruel but I genuinely think that he is creating for attention not because he is worried....he sometimes does it when Im in the room and he isnt in his crate too... it looks like a tantrum not fear or worry and as soon as he gets our attention he stops. He is more than happy to settle both in his crate and at the shop and always has the other dog for company when one of us isnt around (which is only for very short periods time at all except over night)
I have put in place a very solid routine for times to bed and getting up as well as feeding and going out so that he knows these things will all be happening as I had read that this would help him settle. Any advice would be much appreciated.....If Im doing the wrong things then I would desperately like to know now so i can change things..
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-01-2010, 01:32 PM
Originally Posted by Nlulu View Post
Sherlock is now 12weeks old and tho he has eventually settled in his crate at night time without a fuss but Im struggling first thing on a morning he makes such a noise to be let out. I have to eventually get him out as he just doesnt stop.....tho I do ignore him and just take him straight outside then back into the kitchen while I get ready for work....this sometimes works but other times he makes more noise because I have left him again.

He also comes to work with me (a shop) and is left downstairs with my older dog and is in the most very good (he is taken out regularly and people always coming and going throughout the day) but he seems to every now and then get worked up and make a huge fuss.

I have tried ignoring him but he just escalates and gets himself worked up in a frenzy. I am now trying to come into the room and ignore him untill he goes quiet then get him playing with his toys to distract him but Im worried that he is learning how to get somebody to come to him now.

My biggest worry is that someone will complain about the noise and I wont be able to bring him to work which will make things very difficult.

Has anyone got any advice on how to teach him to be quiet?
thank you
Hi Nulul I am confused here, is Sherlock doing this after he has had his early morning walk and breakfast? As Claire says puppies need to go out early and to have breakfast, maybe feed him his breakfast in a kong while you get ready for work .

You say he makes a fuss now and then, are you spending time with him playing and giving him some mental stimulation .
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2010, 01:39 PM
I just dont want him learning that making a noise gets him attention. Maybe I am doing the wrong thing (hence asking for advice) I have always been told that ignoring bad behaviour is the best thing and if he learns that noise gets him what he wants then he will always do it.....
If you had a small baby crying for his mum - would that be bad behaviour? Dogs are pack animals. It is necessary for their survival that they are not alone when babies. Mother Nature is telling your pup that he is in danger or in need. Puppies are not self-sufficient.
You can indeed `train` children and young animals to be quiet. They will after a while come to terms with the fact that no-one will answer their cries. It doesn`t do them any good though.
There is plenty of time for establishing `quiet time` when your puppy is less dependent on you.
I don`t think you`re doing wrong - I just think you`re treating him like an older dog.
JMO.
If you need him to be quiet in the mornings, you could take the crate into your room, so he knows where you are? IMO it`s your company and reassurance he`s desperate for, not `attention`.
Nlulu
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-01-2010, 02:05 PM
Minihaha- I am sorry if my post in confusing. Our routine is that I get up at 6.30 and go straight downstairs to let sherlock out for a pee and then bring him back into the kitchen for his breakfast. I do at the moment ignore him while Im getting it ready and then once he has finished eating we have 5 minutes play and then outside again....I save a bit of his breakfast to put in his kong and leave that with him while I go upstairs to get ready (this is quick shower and clothes on.....make up and hair gets sorted at work once all dog stuff is sorted!)
He barks as soon as he hears any noise in the morning (even if the neighbours get up before me) and if I dont manage to fly down to let him out he will start. He also does it while I am getting ready if the older dog is ignoring him. If she will play then its generally better.
We then have a play in the garden before going to work.
Once at work he is played with by myself and others who work here and once he falls asleep I will leave him to settle while I work (sometimes in the same room and sometimes I go up into the shop) I take him out everytime he wakes up, has eaten, played through out the day and make sure there are plenty of play sessions throughout the day and he is also given his lunch in his kong too.
My worry about it being more tantrums than anything else is that he will do it even if i am in the room but he would rather be somewhere else.... or he wants my attention.
Claire- If I took his crate upstairs while I was getting ready it wouldnt help because he will only settle in his crate if someone isnt there....on a night I say bedtime and he gets straight in and he is given a treat and then his crate is closed and he settles down straightaway but I have to leave....and he doesnt stop when I go into him when he is in the crate only when I let him out.
It doesnt seem to be enough to just be there for him like you said....
You probably have a point that Im treating him like an older dog (never had such a young one before and I am working on advice from vet/books and this forum) but my real worry was that I was making things harder for myself later if I rushed to him everytime he makes a fuss. Do I go and play/cuddle/talk to when he does this? Should I let him demand these things till he is older? (if you could see him....its like he is demanding tho Im sure its not the best word to use)
hope this makes sense.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2010, 02:37 PM
Hiya, I think I get the general thing you are saying, but I don't think you should be looking at a puppy of 12 weeks as having tantrums, or getting his own way.

I think this is an easy mistake to make that we see a puppy as a thing with ''human thoughts'' unfortunately they do not have these thoughts at all.

A puppy of this age is still so so much a baby, and although he is living with you and your older dog, he is still very much at the age off needing reassurence from you so he feels safe. Plus when he hears you get up his little brian will be all excited that his Mommy is coming to him....you being his Mommy now.

I think if you go to him straight away and let him out, getting him used to you getting ready whilst he's having his breakfast you might find this will help him better, rather than making him wait, which will only heighten his excitement/insecurity.

As for work again once he has been asleep, his need to know you are there is whats important to him...not can I get attention.

As he progresses in age you will be able to leave him longer before going to him, but whilst he is so vunerable he needs to know your there

He sounds typical puppy and delightful
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2010, 03:13 PM
Welcome to the world of Pointer-dom!! my Bo starts woofing the second she hears a pin drop from upstairs. At least it makes me hurry up and get down the stairs.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-01-2010, 03:27 PM
Hi Nlulu , sorry was posting at the same time as you in my last past. Claire and YS have answered you really but will just add...

Minihaha- I am sorry if my post in confusing. Our routine is that I get up at 6.30 and go straight downstairs to let sherlock out for a pee and then bring him back into the kitchen for his breakfast.
I appreciate how difficult it is to juggle things in the morning when you have a puppy for my last two puppies I actually had them at work with me overnight then started work myself at 7am, somehow you manage and it is only for a few months. It is better to go out with him if you can, then you can praise him for relieving himself outside (reinforcing wanted behaviour)
I do at the moment ignore him while Im getting it ready and then once he has finished eating we have 5 minutes play and then outside again....I save a bit of his breakfast to put in his kong and leave that with him while I go upstairs to get ready (this is quick shower and clothes on.....make up and hair gets sorted at work once all dog stuff is sorted!)
He barks as soon as he hears any noise in the morning (even if the neighbours get up before me) and if I dont manage to fly down to let him out he will start.
Although you may find it annoying it is good Sherlock is asking to go out once he is awake, try to get down as early as you can. I have puppies with at night so this has never been a problem for me.

He also does it while I am getting ready if the older dog is ignoring him. If she will play then its generally better.
We then have a play in the garden before going to work.
Once at work he is played with by myself and others who work here and once he falls asleep I will leave him to settle while I work (sometimes in the same room and sometimes I go up into the shop) I take him out everytime he wakes up, has eaten, played through out the day and make sure there are plenty of play sessions throughout the day and he is also given his lunch in his kong too.
My worry about it being more tantrums than anything else is that he will do it even if i am in the room but he would rather be somewhere else.... or he wants my attention.
Not tantrums as Steff says, just a puppy being a puppy He will settle down. Try not to get angry or upset, keeping calm is the best thing and I would try to wait quietly until Sherlock is calm and quiet before giving attention.

Claire- If I took his crate upstairs while I was getting ready it wouldnt help because he will only settle in his crate if someone isnt there....on a night I say bedtime and he gets straight in and he is given a treat and then his crate is closed and he settles down straightaway but I have to leave....and he doesnt stop when I go into him when he is in the crate only when I let him out.
It doesnt seem to be enough to just be there for him like you said....
You probably have a point that Im treating him like an older dog (never had such a young one before and I am working on advice from vet/books and this forum) but my real worry was that I was making things harder for myself later if I rushed to him everytime he makes a fuss. Do I go and play/cuddle/talk to when he does this? Should I let him demand these things till he is older? (if you could see him....its like he is demanding tho Im sure its not the best word to use)
hope this makes sense.
It sounds as though you have a good routine going

I think sometimes people don't really make enough allowances for puppies or appreciate how much of a change it must be for them to suddenly find their dam and litter mates (a constance source of play) are gone.

Trying to see the world as a puppy does and being calm and patient pays huge rewards eventually.
Has Sherlock got a good supply of toys and chews to keep him busy, I find it help to only have a couple out at a time and to put others away and keep changing them around so there is always something new and different
Nlulu
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-01-2010, 04:06 PM
Thank you all for your replies it is much appreciated.

minihaha- I do go out with him sorry worded it wrong should have been 'take outside' instead of let out. Great advice about holding some toys back to make them more exciting

Its not so much the juggling on a morning thats a problem its more the general using his voice so much. If it was just crying to be let out (I agree its great to be told he needs to go...and during the day he just goes to the door which is greatly praised!) or crying because he wanted reassurance then I could understand it but barking at me when Im in the room or barking because he wants to go somewhere off limits (not just to follow me- I can be sat downstairs on the computer in the shop and he will jump up and bark at the babygate to go upstairs which he isnt allowed to) this makes it hard not to see it as bad behaviour.....esp when he has been out/fed/playtime/cuddles already
I really dont want anyone to think Im being harsh with him in any way. The only thing I have done is ignore this or try to distract him but he can be very persistant and like I said in my first post I am worried about complaints at the shop and making a rod for my own back if I encourage the crying/barking
What age am I meant to start training quiet time? how am I meant to deal with it if I do need to leave him in another room....go to him everytime he crys/barks? cuddle him? play with him? (obviously i would make sure he doesnt need to go out or is hungry first) Im just confused about the best way to be with him while he is making noise. I def praise him lots when he is quiet and settled and try to be as calm as possible
Sorry I am rambling on and I really want to say thanks for the advice again
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >