Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2009, 05:20 PM

Fasting on a raw diet

Just wondering how many of you who feed your dog on a raw diet actually fast them? I've seen it suggested that you should perhaps do it every week or so but I personally dont fast my dogs.

I've got a very greedy but extremely lean dog and i'm a bit concerned that fasting him will affect his weight and possibly make him even greedier.

If I fasted them, would I make that lost meal up the next day? I.e give them double the amount of meat or make it up over the course of the week?

Thanks for any help in advance.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2009, 05:54 PM
I would never fast a dog unless it was ill, regardless of whether I fed raw or not (I used to). I don't see the point or any health benefits that could be gained from it. A dog being fed the correct amounts of a high quality diet shouldn't need to give it's digestive system a 'break' for the entire day.

For a high energy dog that is very food motivated, withholding food would almost definitely encourage them to scavenge more, beg for food more, etc.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2009, 07:33 PM
I think the theory behind the fasting is to feed bigger to mimic more what it would be like the the wild. The dog can be fed bigger more complicated foods to work at, it's stomach gets well filled and this is supposed to help digestion.... or something like that.

Personally I don't do it. My dogs are fed once a day. If I'm feeding a big meal they will be fed less early the day before, big feed later on the day. If it's very big they'll get a small feed later on the following day. I aim for balance over a week and they aren't fed at set times each day.

I would think that exercise amounts would need to be taken into consideration with feasting and fasting. They won't be able to go for big long walks or fast runs on a very full belly.

I don't see the point to feasting and fasting myself. But If I managed to land a deer or something for them to eat I might think different.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2009, 07:44 PM
I don't........ I'd get lynched!

Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2009, 09:19 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
I don't........ I'd get lynched!

Me too!
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2009, 09:43 PM
I don't either, mine wouldn't like it
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2009, 10:08 PM
I fast mine for half a day if they've had a large amount of bone, or pork bones. They aren't 'foody' dogs though. I couldn't have fasted Loki though as it would have pi$$ed him off!!!!
Elaine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2009, 12:40 AM
I feed raw and dont fast my lot!! they are fed twice a day, bones or carcase in the morning and mince in the early evening, if I haven't fed them by 7ish I get four dogs acting like their throats been cut
bugzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-12-2009, 04:10 AM
I dont fast mine, I was told that toy breeds needed to eat little and often or else they could possible get low blood sugar levels/hypoglycemia?
So because I wont fast the Min Pins, I dont feel it is fair to fast Aura either. ( Not that Aura would let me, she so loves her raw foods )

My uncle has always made his dogs fast one day a week, Personally I think its cruel to make them starve for no reason ( it's different obviously if the dog is ill and needs to be starved)
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2009, 08:02 AM
Originally Posted by bugzy View Post
I dont fast mine, I was told that toy breeds needed to eat little and often or else they could possible get low blood sugar levels/hypoglycemia?
So because I wont fast the Min Pins, I dont feel it is fair to fast Aura either. ( Not that Aura would let me, she so loves her raw foods )

My uncle has always made his dogs fast one day a week, Personally I think its cruel to make them starve for no reason ( it's different obviously if the dog is ill and needs to be starved)
Once a week is a lot. I fasted mine a couple of weeks ago coz the'd had pig's feet and they were producing a lot of waste!!!! So I gave their tummies a break. I wouldn't fast for a whole day though, and never a small breed or a young pup.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >