Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2009, 08:59 AM

Getting rid of the crate?

Im going to be getting jake a new bed so he can go in the kitchen, rather than his crate which is in my room. Im not sure whats the best way to do this, should I keep his crate and just have him in the kitchen when we are out? Or just do away with the crate completely? He doesn’t mind going in his crate when I leave, but when its open he very rarely chooses to sleep in it… so I was thinking I could keep his bed in my room but when I go out, can take it into the kitchen (im planning on getting a big soft one so will be easy to move). I cant keep a bed in the kitchen all the time though coz there isn’t enough space, it would just get in everyones way. What do you think would be best?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-11-2009, 09:01 AM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
Im going to be getting jake a new bed so he can go in the kitchen, rather than his crate which is in my room. Im not sure whats the best way to do this, should I keep his crate and just have him in the kitchen when we are out? Or just do away with the crate completely? He doesn’t mind going in his crate when I leave, but when its open he very rarely chooses to sleep in it… so I was thinking I could keep his bed in my room but when I go out, can take it into the kitchen (im planning on getting a big soft one so will be easy to move). I cant keep a bed in the kitchen all the time though coz there isn’t enough space, it would just get in everyones way. What do you think would be best?
I think what you suggest if fine, maybe dont throw your crate away yet, (always best to hang on to them for a while) you never know.

if you feel he is ready to be out of the crate, give it a go.
liz & kiesha
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-11-2009, 09:56 AM
If he rarely chooses to sleep in it you should be fine. Ava loves hers and wandered around acting like she was homeless when i bought her a new bed, i had to bring the cage back, its a size 48 so takes up a lot of room. I know how you feel, good luck.
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-11-2009, 11:21 AM
Originally Posted by liz & kiesha View Post
If he rarely chooses to sleep in it you should be fine. Ava loves hers and wandered around acting like she was homeless when i bought her a new bed, i had to bring the cage back, its a size 48 so takes up a lot of room. I know how you feel, good luck.
That really made me laugh! I have been wondering about how best to evict Dizzy from her crate too. I will let you go first Lauren then you can give me lots of advice when I do it!
tabsmagic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-11-2009, 11:25 AM
I think you should just go for it.........
Whats the worst that can happen?
If he still misses it after a day or two bring it back........
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2009, 04:11 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I think what you suggest if fine, maybe dont throw your crate away yet, (always best to hang on to them for a while) you never know.

if you feel he is ready to be out of the crate, give it a go.
thanks, will be hanging on to it lol. will hopefully be needed for another puppy in the future

Originally Posted by liz & kiesha View Post
aw, poor ava lol. i hate how much room it takes lol, its massive

Originally Posted by aliwin View Post
That really made me laugh! I have been wondering about how best to evict Dizzy from her crate too. I will let you go first Lauren then you can give me lots of advice when I do it!
lol, will know you know how it goes think i will get his bed tomorrow

Originally Posted by tabsmagic View Post
I think you should just go for it.........
Whats the worst that can happen?
If he still misses it after a day or two bring it back........
lol, good point... think that will be my plan for the weekend, been putting it off for ages lol
tabsmagic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-11-2009, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post

lol, good point... think that will be my plan for the weekend, been putting it off for ages lol
Good luck!!
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2009, 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by tabsmagic View Post

Good luck!!
thanks
Glenrock
New Member!
Male 

13-11-2009, 07:37 PM
Sam has a bed for naps during the day but we always use his crate during the night and for short periods when we go out during the day. I'm sure they feel more secure in their cage if left alone.

Glenrock
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2009, 10:25 PM
Originally Posted by Glenrock View Post
Sam has a bed for naps during the day but we always use his crate during the night and for short periods when we go out during the day. I'm sure they feel more secure in their cage if left alone.

Glenrock
thats what i wasnt sure about, ive got a cover over jakes crate to make it like a den. im hoping he wont mind... dont think he will...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >