Our sister sites
Our sister sites
John Bull
Dogsey Junior
Male 

01-11-2009, 04:26 PM

The Canine Missile

Dogs in cars.

Most hatch backs have a dog screen fitted to divide off the "boot" area where the dog travels from the pasenger area. OK fine, can`t do much better than that.

But for saloon cars with no open area at the back we have a different problem. The dog either sits in the front passenger seat or more often in the back seat.

Seat belts ? What seat belts ? Doggie seat belts ? You must be joking.

Accident anaysis shows that whilst the front passengers may well drill a hole in the front windscreen with their heads if not wearing a seat belt in a head-on, rear passengers become airborne missiles if they are not belted up.

What about the dogs ? I have never seen a dog wearing a seat belt. I suppose they simply fly through the front screen and land on the bonnet or road in front if the impact is sufficient.
Broken necks ? More than likely, plus a lot more.

How should a saloon car owner transport their dog safely ?
I simply do not know. Perhaps Velcro, Evostick or Superglue could help.

What do you think ?
John Bull
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-11-2009, 04:33 PM
Originally Posted by John Bull View Post
What about the dogs ? I have never seen a dog wearing a seat belt. I suppose they simply fly through the front screen and land on the bonnet or road in front if the impact is sufficient.

What do you think ?
John Bull
John my dog and those of many others I know wear dog car seat belts. I take it yours doesn't ?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-11-2009, 04:46 PM
Dogs in cars.

Most hatch backs have a dog screen fitted to divide off the "boot" area where the dog travels from the pasenger area. OK fine, can`t do much better than that.

But for saloon cars with no open area at the back we have a different problem. The dog either sits in the front passenger seat or more often in the back seat.

Seat belts ? What seat belts ? Doggie seat belts ? You must be joking.

No, John, doggy seat belts, can be bought from any pet store... not sure why you would think it was something to joke about

Accident anaysis shows that whilst the front passengers may well drill a hole in the front windscreen with their heads if not wearing a seat belt in a head-on, rear passengers become airborne missiles if they are not belted up.

Probably because you have not looked hard enough...many many people understand the importance of securing their dogs in the car, whether behind a tail gate/crate or seat belt.

What do you think ?
John Bull

I think, you should take a trip to the pet store and invest in a doggy seat belt for your Rotti, if you are planning to take him in the car
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2009, 06:02 PM
I was talking about this today as I see many people driving estate cars and then their dogs sit loose on the front or back seat. The mind boggles with this...Just put them in the estate part!!

I have a metal dog guard with my Scenic but if my dogs had to be in the main part, they would be wearing safety belts for sure. I cannot stand to see a dog loose in a car.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2009, 09:41 PM
dog seat belts are a harness type thing that attach to the normal seatbelt of your car- they stop your dog becoming the missile you describe and are not likely to break their neck as you seem to think as they attach around the body of the dog as a harness rather than onto the collar.
A little bit better than having your dog impaled with glass and most likely dead in a serious crash.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2009, 09:50 PM
Originally Posted by gsdmad View Post
dog seat belts are a harness type thing that attach to the normal seatbelt of your car- they stop your dog becoming the missile you describe and are not likely to break their neck as you seem to think as they attach around the body of the dog as a harness rather than onto the collar.
A little bit better than having your dog impaled with glass and most likely dead in a serious crash.
Indeed it is!

I had a car accident a couple of years ago on a Motorway. Isla was on the back seat due to my full to bursting boot. I considered not putting her seatbelt on as we'd been at a show all day and I thought she wouldn't need it with being tired. Thankfully it was a thought that quickly went out of my head, I dread to think what would've happened had she not been wearing her doggie seatbelt when I hit Mr. BMW at 40mph.
tabsmagic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-11-2009, 12:13 AM
JB!! JB!! You must not have been to a pet store in some time!!
John Bull
Dogsey Junior
Male 

02-11-2009, 01:09 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
John my dog and those of many others I know wear dog car seat belts. I take it yours doesn't ?
Very proud to report NO he does not have to be subjected to that. We drive a hatch-back with dog mesh guard separator like those of many others I know.

John Bull
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2009, 01:16 AM
Very proud to report NO he does not have to be subjected to that. We drive a hatch-back with dog mesh guard separator like those of many others I know.

John Bull
Subjected to being safe is a good thing John, I am so happy to know that those of us that do not have a hatchback still aim to keep our dogs safe whilst in the car.
John Bull
Dogsey Junior
Male 

02-11-2009, 01:17 AM
Originally Posted by tabsmagic View Post
JB!! JB!! You must not have been to a pet store in some time!!
No, JB !! JB !! has not been to a pet store lately. We get our food delivered. I will be going soon to get my dogs Christmas pressies though.

Enlightenment - we drive a hatch-back fitted with a metal mesh dog guard separator like millions more do. No need for doggie safety belts.

My thread was about saloon cars if you read it more closely.

John Bull
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >