Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2009, 06:19 PM

Sterilisation

Hello,

I have been wanting to get sterilised since I was 18 as I'm pretty sure I don't want kids (for a few reasons). Naturally, the doctor put me off and said to wait a few years.

I'm now 24 and although I'm pretty sure I don't want kids, sometimes a small part of me does, but it never lasts long!

Have any of you been sterilised early on? If so, do you or do you not regret it?

Thanks. I'm just trying to tie up a few loose ends, so to speak!
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2009, 06:22 PM
I think that is a big decision to make at your age. You may feel differently in ten years time.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2009, 06:26 PM
I know. I've heard all that before, it's just that the older I get, the more I realise.

The occasionally broody feelings don't last and make me appreciate being child free all the more!
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2009, 06:28 PM
I haven't had it done, I so wanted a baby in my early 20's but I had a miscarriage at 23 and a year later got told my polycystic ovaries were so bad they doubted I could conceive naturally again It made me think seriously and I have come to terms with being childless as I am not in a serious relationship anyway...
But I honestly think at 24 I could not be sterilised, just in case... you never know what the future holds hun xx
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2009, 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by settagirl View Post
I haven't had it done, I so wanted a baby in my early 20's but I had a miscarriage at 23 and a year later got told my polycystic ovaries were so bad they doubted I could conceive naturally again It made me think seriously and I have come to terms with being childless as I am not in a serious relationship anyway...
But I honestly think at 24 I could not be sterilised, just in case... you never know what the future holds hun xx
Sorry to hear that, Claire. Must've been hard for you.

I'm only presuming I could have kids, I may not be able to and then that decision would be taken out of my own hands anyway! We aren't a big family anyway, and I am an only child. I'm happy with my furbabes.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2009, 06:57 PM
Early hysterectomies have implications far beyond fertility. Your hormones affect your skin, hair, moods and weight as well as your fertility. It`s not just a question of not wanting kids (which I can totally empathise with )
Have you considered a long-term contraceptive implant?
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2009, 07:27 PM
They probably won't do it so young unless there are serious health problems that require it. I've got a friend who's 39 and she has severe endometriosis and they still won't do it. It's a big op and a huge decision. Don't make any rash decisions. xx
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2009, 09:56 PM
I deff dont want kids and I have a good 10 years on you so I doubt that is going to change. But put myself through a huge op like that?? Dosent that put you right into the menapause too?? being an old lady at your age!! Bad bones runs in my family and I believe the loss of hormone can make that worse

Pretty much all of my 20's I just stayed on the pill all the time - no breaks or anything - and when I came off it took almost a year to get a real period so I was deff more than safe for not getting kiddies - I would go for the implant or something!
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2009, 10:22 PM
hiya Nicola,

I thought i didnt want kids as too much hassle etc and wanted my dog etc etc. I was 29 before it became an issue - It wasnt until we lost our first baby after 5 years together without contraception that i realised i really did want kids very much, 2 further little angels followed and then we were blessed with Luca.

So I think for me its a case of never say never. If you have very severe periods etc or pain, then i would look into other contraceptive measures before going straight to the operative route.

Its a very big decision and you dont know that you wont meet that one special person who makes you want to have children together etc.
I Just think at 24 you may have completely different priorities but that may well change in the next 10 years say... and then it may be no option for you if you are sterilised.

hth
dani
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2009, 07:07 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Early hysterectomies have implications far beyond fertility. Your hormones affect your skin, hair, moods and weight as well as your fertility. It`s not just a question of not wanting kids (which I can totally empathise with )
Have you considered a long-term contraceptive implant?

Being sterilised is not the same as having a hysterectomy .
Sterilisation is a fairly minor operation .
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »