Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Rubensmum
New Member!
Female 

29-03-2011, 10:24 AM

Boy behaving badly in vet reception

Can anyone please give me some advice as to what I could have done or can do in the future as I am a bit worried about my future visits to the vet after this mornings episode. Ruben is used to going to the vet because of his allergies we are regulars. I must admit with all the times we have been there we rarely meet another dog, however today we were waiting in the small reception area when the surgery door opened and out came a fox terrier dragging his owner behind him, it immediately started barking at Ruben who started to growl and then bark back after about 30 seconds we were called in to the surgery. When we left I was shown out another door and the nurse closed the reception area door when we passed as there were another two dogs sitting quite happily in each others company. Now I'm worried about my next appointment in ten days time. Could this have been because there was no escape as we were siting in the corner and there was no where to go. Or is it more serious.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2011, 10:55 AM
Wait outside till you`re called.
Make sure the receptionist knows, though.
Or leave the dog in the car till they`re ready.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2011, 11:02 AM
Oo i wouldn't worry too much.

My female is huge, loud and naughty at times! I leave her in the car then nip out to get her when we are called. The waiting room is tiny, a puppy once jumped on her head and frightened the life out of her in the vets waiting room and she has never forgotten! xx
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2011, 11:10 AM
Originally Posted by Rubensmum View Post
Can anyone please give me some advice as to what I could have done or can do in the future as I am a bit worried about my future visits to the vet after this mornings episode. Ruben is used to going to the vet because of his allergies we are regulars. I must admit with all the times we have been there we rarely meet another dog, however today we were waiting in the small reception area when the surgery door opened and out came a fox terrier dragging his owner behind him, it immediately started barking at Ruben who started to growl and then bark back after about 30 seconds we were called in to the surgery. When we left I was shown out another door and the nurse closed the reception area door when we passed as there were another two dogs sitting quite happily in each others company. Now I'm worried about my next appointment in ten days time. Could this have been because there was no escape as we were siting in the corner and there was no where to go. Or is it more serious.

Were both dogs leashed?

Assuming yes, then I'd say it's perfectly normal. Our vet's waiting room is the size of a postage stamp - I don't think we've had a single visit there where either Dexter or another dog has not barked or lunged or dragged the hapless owner across the floor...!

You could wait outside and ask the receptionist to call you when it's your turn. You could take some high value treats and try to distract your dog.

It's vital that you remain calm - if you feel tense, that will travel down the leash and only make your dog more tense. I know it's hard to stay calm when another dog is agitating your dog, but do try and you'll find it will help
Rubensmum
New Member!
Female 

29-03-2011, 11:18 AM
Thanks both for your advise, why didnt i think of that, doh!
Rubensmum
New Member!
Female 

29-03-2011, 11:36 AM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
Were both dogs leashed?

Assuming yes, then I'd say it's perfectly normal. Our vet's waiting room is the size of a postage stamp - I don't think we've had a single visit there where either Dexter or another dog has not barked or lunged or dragged the hapless owner across the floor...!

You could wait outside and ask the receptionist to call you when it's your turn. You could take some high value treats and try to distract your dog.

It's vital that you remain calm - if you feel tense, that will travel down the leash and only make your dog more tense. I know it's hard to stay calm when another dog is agitating your dog, but do try and you'll find it will help
Thanks for taking the time to reply, both dogs were leashed, i held Rubens collar so he couldnt move forward that may have made it worse I stayed calm though. Also because my dog was twice the size of the terrier and louder it felt like all eyes were on me. Anyway I am probably worrying way too much and will probably wait in the car next time
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2011, 12:37 PM
I wouldn't worry about it too much. They're dogs after all and if they were on leads and just having a wuff at each other no harm done.

The vets we go to at Newmarket has a sign up to say that if your dog is barking to take it outside and they will let you know when your appointment is called. We don't have a problem with Cherry barking as she is "silent but violent"! but it is considerate to the receptionist as I don't expect that she wants to hear dogs wuffing as she is trying to get on with her work and answer the telephone etc.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2011, 12:43 PM
Holding the collar will make the dog more reactive! Ever seen protection work being done? The dogs are often revved up by being restrained by the collar!

It gives a dog support (hence why some police dogs that look like man killers on the lead are somewhat less so when unleased)!

As I always say, it is not the BARKING dogs you have to worry about.............

The dogs are in each others space, so create some, space that is by leaving dog in car until required.
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2011, 01:08 PM
Ridiculously (said with hindsight) we always seemed to take our two Cairn Terriers to the vets together, I suppose it was just for their jabs. They were nightmares, barking and yapping - in the end we did the same as has been suggested, waited outside until it was our turn and then slunk in past all the very well behaved dogs who looked at them in complete distain..........
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2011, 05:55 PM
Originally Posted by Northernsoulgirl View Post
Ridiculously (said with hindsight) we always seemed to take our two Cairn Terriers to the vets together, I suppose it was just for their jabs. They were nightmares, barking and yapping - in the end we did the same as has been suggested, waited outside until it was our turn and then slunk in past all the very well behaved dogs who looked at them in complete distain..........
Oh I love Cairn terriers! I had 2 together once too. They were lovely dogs. Never barked at another dog or showed aggression except once when Angus chased another dog away that was growling at Rusty. The lady round the corner from me has a Cairn which we met regularly and I want to steal her! She insists on calling her a "Cain" terrier for some strange reason though!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >