Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2009, 01:29 PM

Woo hoo - we won!! (Well, Zane did!)

Hi All,

Oscar and I took Zane to the Boxtrees Fun Dog Show & GSD Rally this morning. We only stopped a couple of hours as Oscar was getting bored.

Zane was absolutely useless in the obedience ring because he was watching Oscar and just wouldn't focus on me. The best part was the judge was one of his trainers!! It's such a shame because we all know he can do what was being asked of him and then some.
Still, I took him for a bit of fun. I dind't expect him to get placed in any of the classes.

Then he went into a couple of the novelty classes and several GSD classes.

He came away with a 1st, 2 2nd.s and a 4th place. So I'm really proud of him. He seemed to enjoy it too, particularly the "scurry run" which was a right giggle. His ears went flat against his head as he ran full pelt towards me but he couldn't stop and ran through the bunch of people standing behind me.

We had to leave early as Oscar was getting restless and Zane clearly wasn't going to work for me, but not before putting him into the novelty "Best Smooth Coat" class. The Judge was Chris Brown (who loves GSDs) and although all the dogs entered had to walk around the ring once, Chris made Zane sit, stand, show teeth etc. She was very impressed with him physically but remembers he growled at her last time she saw him. She did grab hold of his back legs though where Ellie bit him! So from now on I know if Chris is judging, Zane won't be placed!

From now on I think I'll take the dogs and not Oscar to the shows. Not because I don't want to, but the dogs seem to focus on Oscar rather than me. I can understand if it as Ellie as she's more Oscar's dog but Zane is a proper Mummy's boy!

Anyway, we went with the sole intention of getting Zane used to going to these sort of events and to have some fun which we did do. So now I can't wait for the next one. I obviously have to work much harder with Zane, particularly at obedience (which I'm surprised at myself as he's already at a high level).

I think part of the problem was that we were in a field, with other people, dogs and Oscar. Zane would have thought he was at the park and maybe didn't understand why he couldn't go and play. But he has to learn that if he's on lead, he follows my instructions.

ANyway, roll on the next show!

Laura xx
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2009, 01:44 PM
congratulations, a good result,
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-09-2009, 01:51 PM
Well done sounds like a good mornings work! I may have an idea why they watch Oscar more tho, could it be the rolling on the floor he does with them? Surely more fun than behaving yourself! Did you take any photos or were you too busy?

Ali xx
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2009, 03:29 PM
Hi,

Sorry - no photos. Oscar throwing grass about and stuffing it in Zane's ears when I was looking alongside Zane trying to pich some girl's chips (no idea where she got them from!) Meant I really did need eyes int he back o fmy head.

And yes, Oscar behaves more like a dog than a human most of the time so Zane just wanted to play with him. Zane even watched him from the ring farthest away when he was sitting down by the bags, near to GSD-Sue. Oscar waved and caught Zane's eye. So when I had to walk round the ring with him, he was crying and whimpering all the way round.

So nope. No photos this time, ;-(

Laura xx
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2009, 04:09 PM
Oh, well done to you & Zane.

Never mind about the obedience - it's very hard to get their concentration with all the numerous distractions in a new environment. It'll come in time (and practice)

Sounds as though you've got the bug now!!
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-09-2009, 05:11 PM
Originally Posted by Stumpywop View Post
Hi,

Sorry - no photos. Oscar throwing grass about and stuffing it in Zane's ears when I was looking alongside Zane trying to pich some girl's chips (no idea where she got them from!) Meant I really did need eyes int he back o fmy head.

Laura xx
Lol, I was going to come but unfortunately Dizzy doesn't move on a lead yet and she is very heavy!!

We must meet for a walk next week if you are free?

Ali x
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2009, 07:52 PM
Hi,

Yes we're free. Just let me knwo when. oscar is back at school on Monday so if in the daytime hewon't be with us, unless it's late afternoon.

maybe we could come over your way this time - seeing as you came over to us (& then some) last time and it saves Dizzy having to go too far.

I can guarantee though she'll move on lead (if onlyto get away from Zane's splat game!)

Laura xx
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2009, 02:17 PM
It was good meeting you & Zane Laura. I enjoyed it too. Perhaps the two firsts Boyo got in appealing eyes & dog the judge would like to take home helped. Ok we got a first in vereran in the GSD rally as well but that wasn't difficult as he was the only veteran there.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2009, 08:49 PM
Sue,

The best 2 dogs got the best positions then!

Zane only got that first 'cos the judge felt sory for him. After all - it was in the reject class I entered him into. We don't care though. He enjoyed it. I won't be bringing Oscar next time though and then we'll get more out of it. (That sounds really bad doesn't it?!)

Laura xx