Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
poppiebloss
New Member!
Female 

24-08-2009, 10:24 AM

Help

I went to the vets yesterday with my dog that gave birth to four puppies 15 days ago. He diagnosed mastitis she gave her an antibiotic injection and she is on a course of tablets. Yesterday she was not producing any milk but today she is although she does have one gland which is very hard and swollen it does not seem to bother her and she is keen to feed her puppies. (the milk is a normal colour with no offensive smell) The vets advised us to hand feed the pups which we have been doing although they are not that keen and Mum gets quite distressed. Is it ok to let her to continue to feed the puppies from the good boobs and we top up with the formula? Thank you Jackie
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2009, 10:51 AM
I'd phone your vet & check whether the antibiotics she's taking will affect the puppies or if its safe to let them suckle. Whatever the outcome make sure she has the puppies with hereven if you have to put a t shirt or something on her to stop them getting at the teats.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-08-2009, 10:57 AM
Hi you should check with your vet before allowing the puppies to suckle if your bitch is on medication otherwise you risk having her pass on the medication to the puppies in her milk.

As the puppies are not new borns and will have already received the colostrum from the bitch it is not quite so vital that they suckle at this stage and should be ok if hand fed.

It is important to make sure the puppies empty their bowls/bladder after feeding by massaging the relevant areas with wet cotton wool to stimulate evacuation .