View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2009, 01:03 PM

Scary News About Remy Rascal (very long post)

Its been nearly a year that my babies have been in their new homes, but I will never feel that they aren't still mine and I think about them constantly, and I know that their new owners understand that and I'm so lucky that they are happy to share them with me still.

I spoke to Claire (Settagirl) last weekend and we caught up as we hadn't chatted for a couple of weeks, she's been poorly with tonsilitis so couldn't talk. Anyway, she mentioned that Remy had been stiff getting up lately and she had also started drinking more than usual, although she was still up for a chase around the garden with Jamie and Deacon when Claire wasn't watching. Claire said that she would be taking her to the vets to see what they could come up with, we thought it was probably arthritis due to old age, (she will be 11 years old in October )

I've just arrived home to find a letter from Claire, she has been crying too much to call me, and I've just texted her to say can I ring her tomorrow as I'm sobbing myself, this is what she has written and I just wondered if anyone has any experience that might prove useful.

Quote "The little practice I go to has just got a really lovely new vet and thought that as she hasn't seen Remy before and because of my various concerns she would do a thorough examination of her.

She went over her legs,spine, head, mouth, eyes, ears, belly etc., she asked about her drinking -> excessive, weeing -> she does have some incontinence, walking -> okay when she gets going, appetite-> ok, asked if she was neutered -> yes, I explained about the weird seasons and then the mammory lumps!

She said that the incontinence is an age thing and also because she has been speyed too. But she did find extensive muscle wastage in all her legs, especially her hind legs. Also, her heart isn't good either and thatis why she coughs. She decided to run blood tests before giving any medication to see her kidney and liver functions, so I had a bit of a rough night as I spent so much time crying over Remy.

She went back today, (letter dated 25th June), the blood tests revealed that she has correct levels of red and white cells and nothing sinister, all organs ok - at the moment. She does however have raised calcium levels and low phosphorous, her electrolytes are not good.

This could indicate a possible tumour growing, it could mean the start of kidney disease, but it could also just be one of those things. She had an anal examination and she has no tumours in there.

So we had a chat and though her heart is bad and this could also explain the increased thirst too, she needs help with her movement so she is on rimadyl tablets and another supplement that contains glucosamine etc., to help her joints and muscles. She has to go back in 2 weeks, if no better then she is to start in heart medication as well as another treatment for the muscle loss.

It is a terrifying thought that these conditions could mean we lose her and though I know that she is quite old, I hope that the medication will work so that we can enjoy many more years with her yet. " unquote

Claire still hasn't got a computer so can't get online to chat with us and ask questions. I just thought that maybe someone has been through a similar experience and can share that with us, then at least I can phone Claire with, hopefully, some sort of light at the end of the tunnel.

I know that Claire and her parents love Remy so much, as if they've had her all her life, and I feel guilty that they have taken her on and might not have much longer with her. All my dogs were examined and innoculated before they went to their new homes as I didn't want to burden anyone with this sort of thing, they all had glowing reports, so I'm so shocked that she has such extensive problems, and I'm so upset because I'm not there to see her through it...why, oh why do they have to get old?
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

27-06-2009, 02:49 PM
No experience with any of these problems Sheree sorry.
Just wanted to say I hope things aren't as bad as they sounding, and also to reassure you that we all know illness's in dogs can come on so suddenly and without warning so you have nothing to blame yourself for.

(((Hugs))) for you, Claire and Remy. X
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2009, 03:02 PM
Selkie is an older dog and has been plodding along happy enough with the same list of problems for two years now.

She was first diagnosed with muscle wastage on her legs and stiffness to her hind quarters when she was 11. Glaucosamine tablets and lighter exercise seemed to manage this and then for the last year we have been giving her a daily rimadyl tablet to manage the pain as well.

She's a little incontinent, and a bit stiff and old, but still has a happy smile and a good quality of life, she likes to potter about the house and garden and chooses whether to come for a walk or not on a daily basis. I try to make sure she gets out at least once a week, but in the hot weather I don't push it and if she doesn't want to, she doesn't have to.

Two years down the road from the initial prognosis, we are still happily pottering along.. Like with Remy there is a possibility that some of her symptoms may be hiding a tumour, but she's a happy old girl and what we don't know wont hurt us... The vet gave me the option of knocking her out and doing x rays, but with the risk of losing her under the anaesthetic and not much we could do even if a tumour was found, we decided we'd rather not know.

Remy's old, but as long as there's life in her eyes, love in her heart and a wag in her tail. I wouldn't worry too much about her. Take every day as it comes and treasure it for the priceless gift it is!
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2009, 04:27 PM
No advice to offer I'm afraid but so sorry to hear about poor Remy, I know how much you guys love her.

Pidge and Woody (who is sending some licks) xx
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2009, 04:46 PM
gosh its so hard when they start to get old isn't it - my heart goes out to you and Claire.

But please, don't either of you despair yet.

Kip had both a heart murmor and a bit of muscle wastage as a result of his arthritis.
The heart murmor can usually be managed with drugs for quite some time. For the muscle wastage, I would look into hydrotherapy - it is a good way of building the muscles up without putting stress on arthritic joints. The rimadyl should help reduce the inflamation in the joints which will make movement easier but if it doesn't, she might want to tree green lipped mussel extract.

I confess that I was sceptical at first - I'd tried glucosomine and found that it didn't make any difference to either Kip or Hoki. I didn't find out about green lipped mussel while we had Kip, but I'm positive it is definitely helping Hoki....its a natural anti-inflamatory.

Try not to get to too upset (and likewise Claire)...honestly, I think if a doctor gave me a thorough going over I'd probably have a list of ailments longer than Remy's!
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2009, 04:52 PM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
No experience with any of these problems Sheree sorry.
Just wanted to say I hope things aren't as bad as they sounding, and also to reassure you that we all know illness's in dogs can come on so suddenly and without warning so you have nothing to blame yourself for.

(((Hugs))) for you, Claire and Remy. X
Thanks Lynn xxx

Originally Posted by magpye View Post
Selkie is an older dog and has been plodding along happy enough with the same list of problems for two years now.

She was first diagnosed with muscle wastage on her legs and stiffness to her hind quarters when she was 11. Glaucosamine tablets and lighter exercise seemed to manage this and then for the last year we have been giving her a daily rimadyl tablet to manage the pain as well.

She's a little incontinent, and a bit stiff and old, but still has a happy smile and a good quality of life, she likes to potter about the house and garden and chooses whether to come for a walk or not on a daily basis. I try to make sure she gets out at least once a week, but in the hot weather I don't push it and if she doesn't want to, she doesn't have to.

Two years down the road from the initial prognosis, we are still happily pottering along.. Like with Remy there is a possibility that some of her symptoms may be hiding a tumour, but she's a happy old girl and what we don't know wont hurt us... The vet gave me the option of knocking her out and doing x rays, but with the risk of losing her under the anaesthetic and not much we could do even if a tumour was found, we decided we'd rather not know.

Remy's old, but as long as there's life in her eyes, love in her heart and a wag in her tail. I wouldn't worry too much about her. Take every day as it comes and treasure it for the priceless gift it is!
Thanks for that, I've found your experience really helpful and its made me feel so much better, I'm sure it will help Claire too. I know Remy may not last as long as your dear old Selkie, (I've seen her smiling in the photos ), but its given me some hope.

Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
No advice to offer I'm afraid but so sorry to hear about poor Remy, I know how much you guys love her.

Pidge and Woody (who is sending some licks) xx
Thanks so much xxx

Originally Posted by Hali View Post
gosh its so hard when they start to get old isn't it - my heart goes out to you and Claire.

But please, don't either of you despair yet.

Kip had both a heart murmor and a bit of muscle wastage as a result of his arthritis.
The heart murmor can usually be managed with drugs for quite some time. For the muscle wastage, I would look into hydrotherapy - it is a good way of building the muscles up without putting stress on arthritic joints. The rimadyl should help reduce the inflamation in the joints which will make movement easier but if it doesn't, she might want to tree green lipped mussel extract.

I confess that I was sceptical at first - I'd tried glucosomine and found that it didn't make any difference to either Kip or Hoki. I didn't find out about green lipped mussel while we had Kip, but I'm positive it is definitely helping Hoki....its a natural anti-inflamatory.

Try not to get to too upset (and likewise Claire)...honestly, I think if a doctor game me a thorough going over I'd probably have a list of ailments longer than Remy's!
Thanks Fiona, I was so hoping that we would get some good feedback from others, especially as I want to try and help Claire as much as possible. I'll tell her about the green lipped mussel too. xx
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2009, 05:02 PM
I'll second the mussels I quite forgot but thanks to Kingbilly, Selkie has those as well... Can't say which of the bits work, but something does.

Tell Claire to give Remy lots of hugs and cuddles and let her take the world at her own pace. Sometimes the oldies, just want to be given permission to chill out and slow down. Whether she has another few years, or just a few more months, they are special and golden times.

Take hundreds of photos and videos.

Selkie sends gentle elderly whuffles and whoos
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2009, 05:17 PM
Hugs honey - oldies do worry us, that's for sure.....

Take comfort in the knowledge that she's very loved, and could continue comfortably for some time yet.....

x0x0x
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2009, 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by magpye View Post
I'll second the mussels I quite forgot but thanks to Kingbilly, Selkie has those as well... Can't say which of the bits work, but something does.

Tell Claire to give Remy lots of hugs and cuddles and let her take the world at her own pace. Sometimes the oldies, just want to be given permission to chill out and slow down. Whether she has another few years, or just a few more months, they are special and golden times.

Take hundreds of photos and videos.

Selkie sends gentle elderly whuffles and whoos
Thanks again, and thanks to Selkie for those whuffles and whoos

Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
Hugs honey - oldies do worry us, that's for sure.....

Take comfort in the knowledge that she's very loved, and could continue comfortably for some time yet.....

x0x0x
Thanks Vicki...I'm feeling a tad more confident now and hope that I can offer some comfort to Claire too xx
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2009, 08:50 PM
{{{Hugs}}} for you all.....I'm sure Remy will be fine with the right medication x
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >