Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2009, 06:54 PM

Do different breeds get on better than the same

I was wondering today if different breeds get o better than two of the same breed....I mean if ou have the sme breed their trigger points are the same whereas differnt breeds different characters?
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2009, 06:57 PM
interesting question. i know my lurcher would always seek out other hounds and he would get far more excited playing with them. i remember when he met a deerhound puppy (who was bigger than him!) and they played for ages. real hound play, lots of bums in the air and batting each other with their front paws before taking off to do massive circuits of the park.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-07-2009, 07:06 PM
i dont think it makes any difference one way or the other.

it depends upon the individual dog, how they are bought up, and their temperament, and the way the owner handles them.

yes, the same breed (or similar breed groups, eg, 'guarders') show similar body language which may set each other off in a similar way, but that breed (or breed group), may also set off other breeds or breed groups which may respond in a slightly different body langauge way.
but even that is still different versions of fundamentally the same canine body language.
SamRottLabb
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-07-2009, 07:32 PM
It's a very good question

I think Rotties are very in tune with their own breed. She's not really bothered about other dogs when out and about unless it's another Rottie. There are alot of different breeds that live around us and when they are barking Narla (my Rottie) doesn't make a muff but then when the Rottie across the road starts she does the famous 2 footed Rottie stomp and will bark away with him all day! One barks and then the other will it's as if their talking to each other!

My other two are easy going and would say aren't bothered about the breed.
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-07-2009, 02:15 AM
The groups of dogs I see playing are usually heavy on Labs, but see little little difference in the behavior to Shepherds or Goldens. Our daughter's little Lhasa mix wants nothing to do with the monsters.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2009, 05:07 AM
Our Grons Def play differently to the Collies, they def know their own breed.

Now they get on fine with the collies, but the collies want eat on their own, the Gronnies like to do it together, they love to lie together (the collies like their space)

Its the play that really shows it, two BSD playing is amazing all above the ground, & when they are out they are literally acttached to each other.

the collies, def get on better with other collies than other breeds, though i think its because in general other colies will not rush up & will respect their space
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2009, 06:49 AM
I think Beardies tend to get on very well with other Beardies where as when I had Boxers although they recognised other Boxers they didn't always play as well together
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2009, 06:58 AM
Perhaps it depends on the individual breeds.

Like Mishflynn, I have found that border collies definitely get on better with other bcs than with other breeds.
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-07-2009, 07:23 AM
We often meet up with a group of dogs and owners for a walk and the dogs seem to divide into two groups, collies and the rest.
I think there are differences in the way some breeds play for example Dale loves to eye dogs but that can be seen aggression.
Still a lot depends on the individual dog.
KateM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-07-2009, 07:58 AM
I know with mine that they can be made to believe that they aren't in fact the breed they are. My oldest spitz lived for 3 years with a large pack of vallhunds as is convinced that in fact he is a vallhund......... he plays like a vallhund, he behaves like a vallhund and he isn't that keen on other spitz.

My younger spitz have always had other spitz around, along with the vallhunds, though my black girl was completely thrown meeting another black spitz as the two at home are cream.

I find they get along well with their own breeds and as both breeds are prone to somewhat rough play this is a good thing as more gentle breeds can get a bit unnerved by the whole thing - particularly if there are group of them doing it (yes it sounds like wholesale warfare).

Mine tend to get on well with all breeds but favour spitz breeds/breeds with erect ears
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >