Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2009, 05:00 PM

House training small/toy dogs?

Do you approach it any differently to larger dogs? or is it just a case of outside every time the pup wakes and after any activity?

Any tips/experiences of what methods worked best for you would be fab.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2009, 08:04 PM
Oh come on....someone must have house trained a small or toy dog?? I know you are out there!!
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2009, 07:18 AM
It's no different to any other breed but there are some toy/small breeds that are notoriously difficult to house train, bichons, yorkies and dachshunds! But I'm sure it can be achieved if consistant enough.
Becky
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-06-2009, 07:31 AM
Exactly the same for us, we house trained a friends pug puppy who seemed to go almost constantly, also because they are so small and close to the floor you can't always spot a squat in time. As with everything else it's down to vigilence and being consistant. She picked it up pretty quickly as she followed whatever her hero Diesel my staffy did.
bugzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-06-2009, 11:40 AM
My MinPins are a toy breed, and I was told "it is very difficult to housetrain toybreeds".... in my opinion its the same as training any puppy, you let them out just after eating, sleeping, playing etc, and when you see them circling around. It didnt take very long at all for me to train Bugzy or Meeka to be housetrained. I just trained them the same as I did the Dobes or the Boxer.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2009, 04:43 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
It's no different to any other breed but there are some toy/small breeds that are notoriously difficult to house train, bichons, yorkies and dachshunds! But I'm sure it can be achieved if consistant enough.
Becky
Not what I want to hear LOL.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2009, 04:44 PM
Originally Posted by bugzy View Post
My MinPins are a toy breed, and I was told "it is very difficult to housetrain toybreeds".... in my opinion its the same as training any puppy, you let them out just after eating, sleeping, playing etc, and when you see them circling around. It didnt take very long at all for me to train Bugzy or Meeka to be housetrained. I just trained them the same as I did the Dobes or the Boxer.
Good to know!! thanks.
Gina&Jaz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-06-2009, 07:44 PM
Exactly the same, the only problem I've ever found is when it's wet - they're less inclined to get their feet wet than say, a gundog. All it's ever taken is to be outside with them to make sure they do something, which I assume you'd do anyway with a puppy.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2009, 08:49 PM
Yorkie and a Bullmastiff housetrained here - no difference at all!
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2009, 09:59 PM
Well Chis are about the smallest of toys and no housetraining problems with any of them, except Phoebe, who I bred and kept her and Frankie, so was housetraining two at the same time. That could well have been the reason she didn't click straight away (watching two at a time is quite difficult ). By 12 weeks, she was all clean and done with though, so even then not too bad.

When I've got my little ones in winter, I start their training on peepads and gradually move the peepad to the garden but in this weather straight out in the garden will be just fine.

Main thing, if you want to housetrain quickly, don't leave the dog with the run of the house when not watching closely, as they do tend to tinkle and with it being so tiny, you might not see it. They then get in the habit of "tinkling" before you know it. So crate or playpen when not being watched.

Yorkies (have had several of this breed) are very clever and quick on the uptake. You'll see
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >