Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2005, 01:24 PM

Mammary oedema?

Has anyone seen oedema around the mamary glands during a season? My dog is at the end of her season and developed a red, hard, golf ball lump under her teat. The teat itself is not swollen and she is not unwell at all. I took her to the vets (again!) and he said about the oedema. I nor anyone else I have spoken to have heard of it. Has anyone else?
Housedog
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-05-2005, 02:38 PM
Sorry completely new to me.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-05-2005, 09:46 PM
I can find heaps on mammary oedema in cows, seems to be linked to milk production/mastitis, but nothing regarding bitches.
Meg
Supervisor

11-05-2005, 11:10 AM
Hello Miss Potter sorry am not much use to you either ,it seems a little odd for a bitch to be getting 'mastitis' during a season at all and must be quite unusual , as I am sure you are aware this condition is generally associated with a bacterial infection in lactating bitches or during false pregnancy..I can only assume this is hormone related but neither know or can find much about it. Will keep a look out for more info
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2005, 09:18 PM
The lump is gradually going down. She is doing fine. No discharge or swelling of teats. A mystery! Trust Molly!
Meg
Supervisor

14-05-2005, 09:25 PM
Originally Posted by Miss Potter
The lump is gradually going down. She is doing fine. No discharge or swelling of teats. A mystery! Trust Molly!
Hi Miss Potter glad it is getting better..how odd though just as a matter of interest did the vet say if it was hormonal or bacteria related ?

Edited to say did the vet recommend having your girl spayed and will she be more prone to mammary tumors if you don't
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2005, 09:33 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha
Hi Miss Potter glad it is getting better..how odd though just as a matter of interest did the vet say if it was hormonal or bacteria related ?

Edited to say did the vet recommend having your girl spayed and will she be more prone to mammary tumors if you don't
He thought it was hormone related. Did not say anything about being more prone to tumours. Am still weighting up the options of having her spayed. I had my other setter spayed and she became incontinent of urine 2 years later. The vet said it was hormone related after spaying. She is fine and dry on tablets daily, but I am not sure whether to risk it again.
Meg
Supervisor

14-05-2005, 09:44 PM
He thought it was hormone related. Did not say anything about being more prone to tumours. Am still weighting up the options of having her spayed. I had my other setter spayed and she became incontinent of urine 2 years later. The vet said it was hormone related after spaying. She is fine and dry on tablets daily, but I am not sure whether to risk it again.
Hi Miss Potter I think you were really unlucky with the incontinents
I would have serious concerns if the mastitis/oedema was hormone related, I think it is quite an unusual condition in a bitch who has not whelped, I would talk it over with your vet but would think your girl may be more likely to develop mammary tumors.
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2005, 09:45 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha
Hi Miss Potter I think you were really unlucky with the incontinents
I would have serious concerns if the mastitis/oedema was hormone related, I think it is quite an unusual condition in a bitch who has not whelped, I would talk it over with your vet but would think your girl may be more likely to develop mammary tumors.
Will do that. Thankyou!
Meg
Supervisor

14-05-2005, 09:55 PM
Will do that. Thankyou!
Also worth keeping in mind is bitches with hormone problems are more likely to get severe false pregnancy and it may also increase the chance of pyometra .Things to be aware of