Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2009, 06:01 AM

Dog travel sick remedies?

can anyone recommend anything for travel sickness?
Tilly will puke if the journey is longer than 30 mins every single time, no matter what time of day. She sits on the back seat.
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2009, 06:39 AM
Ben would do this, I found that leaving his food off and letting him ride on an empty stomach helped. I give him a dry cracker too.

We also give him this....

http://www.dorwest.com/prodinfo.asp?number=SV

Elaine xxx
Lotsadogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-06-2009, 08:15 AM
Ginger biscuits work well for some dogs. For others blocking their view helps, by caging and covering or putting dog in footwell if there is sufficient room... (you have a volvo estate ).

Homepathic tablets for car sickness also work for some.

It all depends on wether it is actiually a biological raction to motion sickness, or a result of stress, a habit based , stress induced, anxiety sickness.

Does your dog LIKE travelling? If not, then the secret might be to reduce the anxiety and creat other links. Feed the dog and play with the dog in the sationary care many times, before repeating with the engine running. Then take on many short trips, too short for the sickness to occur.

Whatever happens, I wish you good luck.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2009, 09:05 AM
Originally Posted by Lotsadogs View Post
Ginger biscuits work well for some dogs. For others blocking their view helps, by caging and covering or putting dog in footwell if there is sufficient room... (you have a volvo estate ).

Homepathic tablets for car sickness also work for some.

It all depends on wether it is actiually a biological raction to motion sickness, or a result of stress, a habit based , stress induced, anxiety sickness.

Does your dog LIKE travelling? If not, then the secret might be to reduce the anxiety and creat other links. Feed the dog and play with the dog in the sationary care many times, before repeating with the engine running. Then take on many short trips, too short for the sickness to occur.

Whatever happens, I wish you good luck.
Thanks for the advice -
I used to eat ginger & arrowroot biscuits when I had morning sickness and they were the only things I could keep down so may try this.
I thought maybe yesterday she would be ok as we went at 2pm and she hadn't eaten anything since breakfast at 7am. How wrong I was! shame as we were literally 20 sconds from home!
She likes going in the car & on short journeys she's fine. (It was a courtesy car too yesterday as hubs is being mended!!) It was 30 mins there, then 30 mins back during which we stopped at Asda and she sat outside the car with me & had a little drink.
She does tend to move from one side to other & look out the window. Hubs isn't a hatchback but mine is so I've thought of taking the parcel shelf off and letting her sit in the boot.
SibeVibe
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-06-2009, 09:15 AM
My lass suffers from motion sickness. I give her a digestive supplement from Dowset Herbs after feeding if she is traveling. Contains ginger and spearmint oil to settle the tummy. It works for her and she travels well now.

Hope this helps.

Take care.

Seoniad
SibeVibe
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-06-2009, 09:32 AM
Sorry that should say 'Dorwest Herbs'.