Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2009, 07:09 PM

Milos Biopsy Results

The vet from the referral centre has just rung me to say Milos results were very interesting. They showed extensive inflamation of the stomach and part of the intestines, also thickening, which points to having this problem for years rather than months. It pointed to two things it could be but the one he feels it is, is the allergy problems and his allergic reactions to pratically everything.
He said he cannot rule out bleeding in other parts that they couldn't reach with the endoscope, but the only way they can check for that is to open him up and neither of us want to go down that route yet, unless we cannot get him some relief some other way first.
He said I was right to stop the diet he gave me after Milos severe reaction to it, and to continue with the diet I have put him onto, also to continue with the Zantac.
He said now they would normally hit this with steroids to get down the inflamation but as Milo is allergic to steroids it has the oppisite effect with him. So another drug was spoken about which he said works in the same way (cyclosporin) sp, but we would have to start him on a very very low dose as it is known to cause some stomach upsets. If he tolerates a low dose hopefully we will be able to build it up from there. If not thinking caps will go back on.
He is writing to my vet this weekend so they get the letter Monday to get them to give me some more Zantac (not sure about the cyclosporin ) and I am to keep him on that and the diet I have put him on for the next two weeks and then ring him to let him know how Milo is getting on and coping with it.
He said if Milo starts to go downhill in the meantime then to ring him immeadiatly before then.
Also milo is never to have another vaccination as he feels his puppy vacs may even have been the cause of this as to the timing of the puppy vaccs and results of a blood test done a couple of weeks later when he seemed off colour.
We had a very interesting talk about vaccinations too and he said although important there is a lot more long term problems from them than the vaccination manufacturers will admit to, and the lepto jab doesn't last much more than 3 months in the system anyway although the manufacturers of that are now looking at that problem and the strains that it is covering and not covering.
He reccomends dogs that swim in ponds and lakes have lepto, to try and safeguard but said for others it is not really of any use especially as they are covered for such a short time.
Anyway I will update you if anything changes or if all goes well when I speak to the referral vet next.
Thanks for all your support through this. We are still very far from being out of the woods yet, but hopefully now we know more we can try and find something to help my little boy.
Merz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-06-2009, 08:18 PM
Pleased you have got results back, it seems such a long time ago that Milo went for his biopsy. At least you have some information you can now work with and hopefully the medication prescribed will help Milo-fingers crossed that things will hopefully improve for Milo and yourself-take care x
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2009, 08:21 PM
glad the results are back and you can start to treat him
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2009, 08:23 PM
As you say Madmare, it is good that you are getting to identify the problem and are now in the hands of someone who seems to know what he is talking about.

Fingers crossed that this new drug will work.
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2009, 08:25 PM
At last you are getting some answers, fingers crossed the wee guy starts to feel better.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2009, 09:14 PM
Glad you've got the results back. Hopefully this will be the start of Milo's road to recovery. Hope the drugs work. All the best and fingers crossed for Milo and his treatment.
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2009, 09:26 PM
Glad you are finally getting somewhere with Milo's condition. Hope the medication and diet works for Milo...Bless him x
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-06-2009, 09:52 PM
Hi Bev I think it is half the battle when you know your enemy, now you have a diagnosis for Milo you can concentrate on getting him well . Big hugs to the little chap xx
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2009, 05:39 AM
Originally Posted by Merz View Post
Pleased you have got results back, it seems such a long time ago that Milo went for his biopsy. At least you have some information you can now work with and hopefully the medication prescribed will help Milo-fingers crossed that things will hopefully improve for Milo and yourself-take care x
It does seem ages ago I agree but it was only just over a week ago. My referral vet was away lecturing Wed and Thur otherwise I would have had them a bit sooner.

Originally Posted by Lizzy23 View Post
glad the results are back and you can start to treat him
Thanks so am I.

Originally Posted by Hali View Post
As you say Madmare, it is good that you are getting to identify the problem and are now in the hands of someone who seems to know what he is talking about.

Fingers crossed that this new drug will work.
Yes Simon the vet certainly seems to know his stuff, I can't believe how quickly he managed to find the problem where my own vet although very good was just stabbing in the dark and I began to think she thought I was just a paronoid mummy.

Originally Posted by Lionhound View Post
At last you are getting some answers, fingers crossed the wee guy starts to feel better.
Thanks fingers are firmly crossed

Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
Glad you've got the results back. Hopefully this will be the start of Milo's road to recovery. Hope the drugs work. All the best and fingers crossed for Milo and his treatment.
I hope so poor milo has really suffered long enough, but if you had met him you wouldn't have believed the poor lad was so ill. He has been so brave.

Originally Posted by Lou View Post
Glad you are finally getting somewhere with Milo's condition. Hope the medication and diet works for Milo...Bless him x
Thanks I really hope so too, just a bit worried about him having a violent reaction to any medication, with his track record.

Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Bev I think it is half the battle when you know your enemy, now you have a diagnosis for Milo you can concentrate on getting him well . Big hugs to the little chap xx
I agree, I would give the world to see my little lad healthy and well again and to know for once he is not suffering any pain and discomfort. Lets just pray this will work.

Thankyou everyone.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2009, 06:24 AM
Looks like it could be controllable, Bev, which is really what you want.

Good luck trying the new meds - everything here is crossed for the lovely Milo

x0x
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >