Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
valandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2009, 08:26 PM

Spayed before first season

Well i got told today from a dog walker that since he got his bitch spayed before she had her first season she has been hyper ever since. The staffy is now 5 years old . He said that i would probably have the same problem with Pepsi as i got her done before her first season. But surely if she isnt hyper now she wont get hyper in the future will she? Well she will get more energetic outside but when in the house she has her daft half hour twice a day and is settled after that. People keep saying that she isnt a normal springer as she doesnt seem hyper enough, of course i take this as a compliment as i try to train her well but im sure not all springers are mad?

oh and is the spaying question real? ive just never heard it before
ruthshaw9
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-04-2009, 09:45 PM
I had my Dalmatian spayed at 6 months old, before her first season. She has never been hyper. She was full of life as a pup and still loves to play but I wouldn't call her hyper. She gets two good walks a day and spends the rest of the day wandering in and out of the garden or laying about, either asleep or watching the world go by through the window.
Maybe his Staffy would have always been hyper whether she was spayed early or not.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2009, 10:38 PM
My Late girl Meg, was done before her 1st season, and we never had trouble with her being Hyper.

And Skye was done before her 1st season too, she certainly isn't Hyper
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2009, 10:42 PM
i think he is just having something to blame, perhaps he feeds her high colouring food, perhaps she is just a hyper dog, and perhaps she isnt mentally stimulated....

i wouldnt worry about it at all !!!
BigV
Dogsey Junior
Male 

11-04-2009, 05:29 AM
I believe spaying after the first season is a myth...... along with people that swear by letting a bitch have puppies before getting her done.....

Staffies are (in general) a high energy breed, and they usually require tons of exercise and stimulation to keep them happy......... he probably doesn't exercise his dog enough.
pupsandpets
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-04-2009, 06:41 AM
I had one of my goldies done before her first season and she was fine.
The 2nd one was hyper to start with and came into season early so we had to wait and she was done after but it didn't make any difference at all.
She's 3 now and still hasn't calmed down!
valandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2009, 09:30 AM
oh well by the sounds of it most of the dogs didnt get hyper. lol something im so glad about, thought i may have made the wrong choice. i did do research into it before i got her spayed but i didnt see anything on a dog being more hyper. phew
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2009, 09:45 AM
Just thought you might be interested in this:

http://avmajournals.avma.org/doi/pdf...ma.231.11.1665

It's a really good, impartial review, taking into account nearly 200 papers on the subject, for and against early spaying and neutering.

The problem is, there is so much anecdotal evidence surrounding early spaying/neutering, often with people saying similar things. In this instance, there is nothing whatsoever to directly link the early spay to hyperactive behaviour. As Brundog says, this guy could be looking for something to blame, might have weaned his dog onto an inappropriate adult diet could just have expected his dog would grow out of the behavior she exhibited as a puppy.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2009, 12:29 PM
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
I believe spaying after the first season is a myth...... along with people that swear by letting a bitch have puppies before getting her done.....

Staffies are (in general) a high energy breed, and they usually require tons of exercise and stimulation to keep them happy......... he probably doesn't exercise his dog enough.
Yep, I agree with this. SBTs need lots of love and affection, mental stimulation and running about.

Just had a look at that article mse2ponder and it confirmed what I thought about the growth plate 'myth' - it isn't 'readily visible or clinically relevant'. So the old growth plate excuse isn't really a good one for not getting a dog neutered lol (not saying you have said that, it was being discussed on another thread).