Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2009, 04:18 PM

Had a scare with Zena this afternoon

As you may know, she had her 2nd jab yesterday,but she has been absolutely fine, eating, drinking, poo'ing all regular, playing this morning with Georgie, then I left her for an hour in her crate coz I had to get out. Anyways, came back, she was bright and cheerful, her usual mad self, ate her lunch an hour later, then I prepared ours and she was quiet, very quiet Normally when I have my own lunch, she comes in the lounge with me and plays with her toys whilst I eat, but today she just laid on my feet, she didn't even chew at my socks, and I thought that was strange. Then she sloped off and went in Georgie's bed. I cleared up expecting her to be fine for a play like we always do. She didn't want to know.She laid in his bed and when I went to cuddle her, she wasn't interested and moved to the other side. Then I saw how fast her breathing was. I went into panic mode I checked her mouth, gums weren't as pink as I'd have liked, but were ok (ish), so I watched her, and I watched her, then she stared at me wondering why I was staring at her stomach, so she wasn't asleep, but something was going on. I wasn't happy so I rang my vet. She said the earliest appt.was 4.30!!!! WOT????!!! With a puppy who had just had a vac in 24 hours and was breathing like this???? Wasn't happy with that, so she went and spoke to a vet. Came back and asked me questions, but of course, yes all was ok re the eating, drinking etc. I continued to watch her, and then I said, look I know this puppy and she isn't right, and I don't like that breathing, it's too rapid and she's stretching, and now she's panting as if she's been running around, but she hasn't, she's been on this bed for half an hour now!!! Grrrr, I was mad!!!! Anyways, she told me I could bring her down in 20 mins. (2.20) By the time I got everything ready and kept a strict eye on her, she got up, wagged her tail at me, went out for a wee, and started mouthing me again She seemed almost normal. I sat there with my jacket on, gave her a toy and off she went with it So I rang the vet back and said panic over, but I will be watching her closely and might be down later. She's had a good hour's sleep, eaten her meal, and is now playing quietly on her own with a toy, and her breathing is totally normal.

So what happened there then? 24 hours after her 2nd vac??? Personally, I think it was pain related to breathe like that, then again, the stretching (lots of it,not just a normal strech) now I do that when I've got a temperature? I rang the vet back and asked if this is quite normal 24 hours after and she said yes, lots of dogs have these kind of "blips". Hey ho. I hope she gets totally back to her normal nutty self later coz I don't like the fact that they could have taken the real Zena away with that jab! Oh I'm really beginning to hate those vaccinations
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2009, 04:37 PM
what a worry helena..... i hope she continues to be ok

millie sends hugs ((()))

xx
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2009, 04:38 PM
What a fright Helen!!!

I am so pleased that little Zena seems okay again now ... phew!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2009, 04:44 PM
Thanks Suze and Kirsty.

I know I haven't had her long, but I do know when a dog isn't right, even little Zena. Normally when she's sleeping and I get down on the floor, she never moves away, she normally kisses me or rolls over, but not this time and that's how I knew something wasn't right. Then I noticed that breathing, it was scarey, but then I am an anxious new mum, and I'm not particularly good in any crisis, except phoning the right peops which I did. I can't understand they didn't think it was a "rush her down here" scenario though? I won't forget that, and in future, I will just GO, I won't bother to ring first!
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2009, 04:50 PM
gosh what a scare...how is she now?
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2009, 04:59 PM
glad she's ok now. what a fright for you!

these vacc's are a worry, but better safe than sorry at this age.

she's lovely, by the way.
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2009, 05:04 PM
Aww...bless her. Thankfully she seems ok Aitch! xxxx Give her a wee cuddle from me
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2009, 05:24 PM
Hope she's feeling better now babe xx
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

30-01-2009, 05:49 PM
Cariad always has a reaction to her vaccs. It never seems to bother Lona, but Cariad was sick and dire rear the first time, then when she had her booster a year later, she was sick within 5 mins of leaving the vets, so whizzed her back pronto, he checked her over and said that some dogs do have a reaction, this year I sat in the vets for half an hour after their boosters and she was OK, but she had runny poos for a few days after and kept pooing when walking on lead which is strange for her. I remember someone telling me that GSD's can sometimes have a natural immunity to one of the components to the vaccs, and this is what causes the reaction. To be honest, if mine didn't go in kennels every month I wouldn't have them done now. I know exactly what you mean by panic setting in, your whole life passes before your eyes and all you can think of is whether you should have had it done or not.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2009, 06:02 PM
Thanks guys. She's been almost back to normal, had her tea, drunk some water, played with her toys but quietly, slept a little, and now she's just snuck into her crate into her new little bed I put in there lunchtime Unlike her. I'm waiting on a poo at the moment, so we'll see if that's normal So far, I've had nothing but normal hard poo from her so I'll be gutted if she's got diarrhea now
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >