Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
BeagleBella
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-02-2012, 02:57 PM

Off lead Beagle

Hi guys, I would really like some tricks and tips with my beagle.

She is 5 months, I have completed plenty of training with her. She knows sit, stay, leave, lay, paw, rollover, down, 'in your bed' (i like this one!) and in the house she is very good at 'come'.

I have began walks, and let her have a 10ft line. Me and my partner practice recall with her...He has a bit of beef/chicken, shows her, runs off while i hold her, then call her. She is brilliant at it.

Also if we are casually walking with the 10ft lead, I can call her mid sniff, mid stare etc, and she will respond (if she knows I have the meat!)

The problem I'm having, is when do you know you can trust your dog? I would LOVE to let her off the lead, so she can wear herself out, and just roam free like doggies should be able too What signs can I look for / how old does she need to be. How can I ensure she will come back when called....

If she see's another dog or person, she will instantly try and get over to them (i have started getting her attention back, by calling, when she focuses on me, i treat her).

I have heard a lot of things about beagles and their nose!! So is off lead possible?

Thanks xx
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2012, 02:59 PM
SB where are you..

SB has a great post about recall.. she should be along shortly..

Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-02-2012, 03:03 PM
A closed fenced environment for a trial run ??
I looked after a Harrier hound and if he caught a sent he would be off no matter what ...
BeagleBella
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-02-2012, 03:06 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
A closed fenced environment for a trial run ??
I looked after a Harrier hound and if he caught a sent he would be off no matter what ...
I've tried looking in my area, but not got very far with it. I can't seem to find an enclosed doggy park / field that I could practice in which is a bit of a pain! This type of thing would be ideal.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2012, 03:12 PM
Originally Posted by BeagleBella View Post
I've tried looking in my area, but not got very far with it. I can't seem to find an enclosed doggy park / field that I could practice in which is a bit of a pain! This type of thing would be ideal.
Tennis courts are often a good place, if there are any greyhound owners near you - ask them if they rent a field that they let their dogs run free in. Ask any stables in your area if they have a paddock or securely fenced you could rent for an hour to practice recall.

Never call when you know she won't come back, always make the coming back the BEST thing ever.
SB's recall is probably easier to explain recall, but I would definately find an enclosed area to practice and train in. I wouldn't trust a hound offlead, long line trailing, yes, but I personally couldn't trust one offlead.. but thats me, I see two beagles regularly that are offlead and have a great recall.. but A LOT of work has gone into that. Good Luck.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-02-2012, 03:13 PM
Council tennis courts ? early morning or late evenings they can be empty ..
Enclosed football pitches ?? same..
BeagleBella
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-02-2012, 03:19 PM
We were thinking about trying the tennis courts, but I didn't know if it would 'count' in the same way as a field (if that makes sense) but I will definitely give it a go Thank you for your suggestions. If I have any success I will share with you all!! xx
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2012, 04:54 PM
A tennis court will obviously have fewer temptations than a field, but that is the point of recall training, if you cannot get it in easy places you will never get it in difficult ones.
BeagleBella
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-02-2012, 05:07 PM
This is very true, thanks.

We are going puppy classes tonight, and usually get there early, so I might give it a try in the tennis courts there!
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2012, 05:29 PM
I don't own 'hounds' and I know they can get onto a scent and follow it. However, I do have two litter-mates and I was a nervous wreck when I first let them off in a public place and they get into 'chase mode' and become deaf to me!! Just a tip, you may want to teach your dog to come to the whistle which I have done with my two. I did this so that if they ever run off too far I know they will hear my whistle above my voice. I taught this by blowing it in the house and when they came to investigate I would give them a treat.
When off the lead now, I use it if they have chased each other too far away.
My god-mother had a beagle when I was growing up and he was always off the lead playing with our dog in the park. When you do take the plunge let her off, do so and immediately walk away - I haven't come across a dog who wants to be left behind! Good luck.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >