Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Katrina342
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-10-2005, 09:33 AM

Bad breath

Does anyone know what does bad breath usually means? Poppy has never had it before but last night she ponged.
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

06-10-2005, 09:40 AM
Digestion usually or strong smelly foods but could be bad tooth or infection of gums. If her teeth/gums are ok then it`ll probably go on its own or you could give her some chopped parsley or mint on her food or peppermint tea to drink or eat
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-10-2005, 10:36 AM
Hi Katrina dogs should not have a bad breath and there could be a medical cause...as Christine says it is a good idea to check the teeth are ok and to make sure that there is nothing caught in them or across the roof of the mouth..also make sure there is not an anal gland problem, licking the rear end can make a dogs breath smell 'fishy'..also check the folds of skin around the mouth, these can become infected and smell.
Katrina342
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-10-2005, 11:31 AM
Thanks. Could be anal glands, they have just been cleared but she is licking the area. Her teeth are pretty yukky and brown, but as she is so old the vet won't consider treatment. I do buy dentachews but she gulps them down quicky.
Graeme
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-10-2005, 11:41 AM
My dad always told me it was a possibly a sign of liver/kidney problems.

Graeme