Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2010, 07:56 AM

Chewed off top layer of pad

Why do dogs always do these things over Christmas when the vets are shut??!!

Last night I noticed, after we returned from his walk, Cain chewing his back paw pad with determined vigour. I tried to stop him but he was really having a go at it, when he got up the floor was soaked with saliva. I managed to get a look and he'd chewed the edge off of his pad and it was red. I'm unsure what triggered it as I didn't get a look until he'd started chewing at it.

I suspect he cut it on a sharp bit of ice. Any tiny wound Cain will nag at and make it ten times worse he's also a stupidly slow healer. I checked the wound and it looked clean, not bleeding but was red. We tried to ditract him with cuddles, squeaky toys, boxes to shred, food stuffed toys and even physically pulling his head away and trying Leave It. It was obviously really irritating him though and he would not leave it alone.

We bathed it in salt water and put a Tubigrip over it. It seemed to soothe him and after that he settled down to sleep. This morning we got up and he'd pulled the tubigrip off, there was a puddle of saliva on the paw and he'd chewed almost half of the top layer off of the pad

the wound looks clean enough, I can't see anything stuck in it. I think he's chewing because he's irritating it himself and making it worse. It's not bleeding, it's just the very top tough black layer he's chewed off, luckily hasn't gone deep. I think he'll heal fine if I can get him to just leave it alone.

Do you think he needs a vets? I'm working today (Christmas Eve) and vets shut early, then vets will be shut for the next 4 days or so. I really don't think it warrents an emergency vet.

This morning we bathed in salt wAter again, put a melanine pad over his paw pad, pulled the tubigrip over the top and wrapped a banadage over the top - it didn't look to bad when I'd finished I lightly sprayed it with bitter bite ( not enough that it soaked through) to deter him chewing and mum is home with him all day today and is on "distraction duty". I've also put Arnica in his food.

Does this sound right? Is there anything else I can do? Should I put sone sort of cream on or leave it? If it looks infected then I will need to get him to a vet. The plan is to bathe and re- dress twice daily then in a few days to let the air get to it (providing Cain stops chewing it!).

Amy advice gratefully recieved

Here's Cain looking really unimpressed with his bandage this morning

cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2010, 08:49 AM
Only other thing would be a bucket thing to stop him being able to reach it?
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2010, 09:14 AM
Originally Posted by cava14una View Post
Do you mean like an Elizabethan collar? He has very long legs and I don't think that would stop him. He had one after his castration and he got very distressed with it on and still managed to almost reach his wound so sadly I don't think it'll stop him chewing his paw. Thanks though.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2010, 09:20 AM
Awwww poor baby xxxxx I hope he leave it alone to heal xxxxxxx
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2010, 09:29 AM
Originally Posted by cava14una View Post
That would be my preference - or possibly bandaging the other foot?

I would not really want to cover up something like that.
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2010, 09:32 AM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
Do you mean like an Elizabethan collar? He has very long legs and I don't think that would stop him. He had one after his castration and he got very distressed with it on and still managed to almost reach his wound so sadly I don't think it'll stop him chewing his paw. Thanks though.
Yes I just couldn't think of the name.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2010, 09:32 AM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
That would be my preference - or possibly bandaging the other foot?

I would not really want to cover up something like that.
Sorry, I don't really understand? What do people mean by bucket thing? Also how would banadaging the other foot help? I'm a bit confused
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2010, 09:34 AM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
Sorry, I don't really understand? What do people mean by bucket thing? Also how would banadaging the other foot help? I'm a bit confused
Yes - and Elizabethan collar, but if he stresses wearing it, might not be best.

The idea with Bandaging the other foot is to distract him from the initial one....they focus on the one that is bandaged and (In theory) leave the other one alone.

ETA - I doubt you have any - but colloidal Silver is great for bathing wounds in.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2010, 09:40 AM
Thanks guys Yeah the Elizabethan collar was a whole palava I'd like to avoid again if possible And his legs are very long so I don't think it'll help.

I can try bandaging the other foot, it might just work. I had hoped to get some air to the wound as soon as possible but couldn't get him to leave it alone so hoped a day or two with the bandage might start it healing enough that he might leave it alone. He's such a chewer of wounds, he really doesn't help himself

My mum is off to the chemist, I'll get her to ask about the silver. Thanks guys
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2010, 10:12 AM
Mum managed to get a colloidal silver spray in a health shop. She spoke to the chemist (obviously not a vet we know) but his opinion was yes air would be ideal but better to keep it covered for now if he's chewing it as stopping it getting worse and infected is the main thing.

ETA: Mum has been into our local chemist (who are great and helped us work out the Arnica dose for our dog last time ) and they've given her Calendula ointment. Probably can't use both that and the silver so I'll need to pick which one I think is best.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >