Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2006, 07:37 PM

setting up a ringcraft club

Hi all,
While i was at dance class tonight with my daughter there was a woman training dogs in the hall downstairs i'll post that later(disgusting)and it gave me a brainwave(rare in my case)
Anyway i was thinking about setting up a staffordshire bull terrier ringcraft club but have no idea really how to go about it
I know that firstly i will need people with experience of the breed,mats rosetes etc
Any advice please
Sal
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-03-2006, 07:44 AM
I think that first of all you would need to determine the demand in your area for a breed-specific training club. Then you need to find premises. Then you would have to look into the question of insurance. Then you would need people very familiar with the ring requirements and conformation standards of the breed. Then you would need to organize training times to suit everybody. It can be a real headache as you are dealing with that most unpredictable of species ... people
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2006, 07:55 AM
I have never heard of a breed specific ringcraft class, most I have known have trouble finding enough of any breed to fill the hall and make it viable so you need to do a bit of research. Costs can be quite high - hall hire and insurance being the two main ones. An insurance company MAY require you to have some sort of accreditation or qualification in dog training but you would need to check this out.
Plus - you need enough knowledgable people to take the class who will turn up week after week and not just when they feel like it.

Regarding rubber mats and rosettes (I presume these are for match nights) look in the ads in one of the dog papers...... some of the bigger suppliers may sell rubber mats even if not in their ad, worth ringing a few. There are several suppliers of rosettes, Dalsetter for example will make them up in small numbers and to your design. They have a stand at all UK Champ shows.

Good luck!
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2006, 08:51 AM
Why not get in touch with a local obedience club (a reputable one) and enquire about hiring their rubber matting for a small fee? Though this would require using the same premises. Just an idea.
xx
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2006, 09:17 AM
Thanks all,I will look into it further
Sal