View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2010, 06:53 AM

Successful treatment of cancer - any experiences?

I found a lump on Millie yesterday and with her medical history (AIHA) i took her straight to the vets and they kept her and took some fine needle samples off it, the vet had an initial look and then phoned me to say be prepared for bad news has although he's no expert he could see some abnormal cells that could be cancerous, we should get the pathologist results today.

She is only 5 but has been through so much in the last 12 months and is still on drugs to prop her immune system up, i just don't know how much more she can take or if i'm honest how much more i want to put her through.

My question is has anybody got a dog that has been treated for cancer and had a succesfull outcome??, and what sort of treatment should i expect??

Thanks

Liz
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

21-01-2010, 07:03 AM
Just wanted too send good wishes Lizzy and positive vibes for today.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2010, 07:55 AM
Sorry Lizzy no, but just want to wish you luck and send some love to Millie. It's my worst nightmare xx
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-01-2010, 08:13 AM
Hi, sorry to hear about Millie. The only experience I have is with Sam my old springer. He had an aggressive sarcoma in his leg before he came to us. The only treatment for him was amputation of the limb which he had done. He then carried on in good health for another 5yrs but the cancer returned in June just as aggressive as the first time so the decision was made for him to be pts aged 11.

Not sure that helps with the decision making but good luck for today.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2010, 08:17 AM
So sorry to hear the news about Millie...you must be beside yourself with worry.

I have no experience of this either, thankfully, but wanted to send my best wishes and plenty of healing vibes xxx
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2010, 08:23 AM
so sorry to hear your news,

you may remember millie the neo that I had as a foster, she had some lumps {mammary tumours} sadly it wasnt a good outcome for her,

that said if we had got to her sooner the outcome could have been very diff.

Gail who had a rescue bullmastiff from me, had a massive mammary tumour removed from sasha in the late summer of 2007 and only lost her last week, the only treatment sasha recieved was the initial tumour was removed, we knew it was an aggressive form of cancer and it was highly likely it would return, but to get 2.5 years was a really good result.

keeping everything crossed for you, x
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2010, 08:27 AM
this is in her Groin and is about an inch long, the vet has suggested we have a ct scan IF he is right and take it from there, i'm worried though that if we start to fight something else the stress will trigger a relapse in the AIHA rock and hard place spring to mind. I suppose i can't think about anything until we get the definative results, i just keep hoping that for once Mark has got it wrong A world without Millie minx in it just doesn't bear thinking about, she's a grumpy reject, but she's our reject
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2010, 08:31 AM
Originally Posted by Lizzy23 View Post
this is in her Groin and is about an inch long, the vet has suggested we have a ct scan IF he is right and take it from there, i'm worried though that if we start to fight something else the stress will trigger a relapse in the AIHA rock and hard place spring to mind. I suppose i can't think about anything until we get the definative results, i just keep hoping that for once Mark has got it wrong A world without Millie minx in it just doesn't bear thinking about, she's a grumpy reject, but she's our reject
sorry im just sitting down to my first coffee and not very with it, whats AIHA?

millie the neo had one lump just behind one of her teats and one further down the groin, but I can only assume there were lots of other tumours throughout her body by the time we got her,
it was clear something was very wrong with her as she was skin and bone, as I said, dont take what happend with my millie to much to heart the poor girl had clearly had cancer for a long time, during which she was still used as a puppy machine.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2010, 08:36 AM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
sorry im just sitting down to my first coffee and not very with it, whats AIHA?

Auto immune Heamolytic aneamia its when the bodies immune system attacks the red blood cells, common in spaniels and most die of it Millie has managed to come through it but she is still on Atopica and Azathioprine to suppress her immune sytstem
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2010, 08:41 AM
Originally Posted by Lizzy23 View Post
Auto immune Heamolytic aneamia its when the bodies immune system attacks the red blood cells, common in spaniels and most die of it Millie has managed to come through it but she is still on Atopica and Azathioprine to suppress her immune sytstem
oh poor millies really been through the wars fingers crossed the result of the biopsy is not a bad one. xx

it may be that removing the lump will be enough for her, how big is the lump?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >