Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2010, 04:48 PM

Jakes behaviour today...

I was walking Jake onlead round the park today, and there was a guy with an offlead Lab across the other side of the park, walking towards us but with a good bit of distance between. Then suddenly the other dog started tearing towards us… it was only when I heard the guy calling the dog, that I realised we know him. the dog is about 7 months old, and is usually walked by a woman. Jake has always been fine with him, and is usually very gentle but will tell him off if he is too much. he has grown huge since we last saw him, and is so leggy and bouncy. I was holding Jake next to me (he was on the other side of me to the other dog, Sheeva (sp?)) and I just assumed they would be ok as they usually are. Sheeva jumped right on top of Jake but from behind him, and Jake did this strangled growly noise (never ever heard him make it before) and was showing his teeth. Sheeva was jumping all over Jake, with Jake making that awful noise… i didn’t see Jake bite him, and Sheeva certainly didn’t show any signs of being bitten, but I was worried he was going to. I tried to hold Jake closer to me, and keep Sheeva back, but he was just bounding around us in a circle. Jake just stood, doing nothing… so no lunging at him or anything.

The owner came walking over, saying that his dog will be better when he is trained and didn’t comment on Jakes behaviour. He took his dog away, and I carried on with Jake who became very quiet. I am careful with what dogs Jake plays with, coz he can be too boisterous for smaller dogs (although he has lots of little friends who he has known since he was a pup) and he is noisey when playing which worries some dog owners (that is just how Jake plays, and doesn’t make noises in an aggressive way). He is also funny with very big, bouncy in-your-face dogs after having a few frightening incidents happen. But he has never been aggressive with it, just shown his teeth in warning and moves away from the dog.

I don’t know whether to be worried about Jakes behaviour today, or just put it down to Jake not liking the way Sheeva behaved… I am worried Jake could become aggressive with certain dogs, due to fear… Jake isn’t a fighter though, and given the chance will try and run from aggressive dogs… i hate seeing Jake looking scared, and since coming back from the walk he has just being lying in his bed. Should i be worried?
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2010, 04:56 PM
I wouldn't be worried. What I would have done in that situation, however, would be to drop Jakes lead the moment you sensed he was uncomfortable. Holding Jake close to you while he was on lead with a loose dog bouncing all over him made him defenseless (he lost the ability to run away) which is why he warned the other dog off in the way he did.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2010, 05:14 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
I wouldn't be worried. What I would have done in that situation, however, would be to drop Jakes lead the moment you sensed he was uncomfortable. Holding Jake close to you while he was on lead with a loose dog bouncing all over him made him defenseless (he lost the ability to run away) which is why he warned the other dog off in the way he did.
i was tempted to do that, but coz Jake can be so rough and boisterous, i was worried about not having the control to stop him... if that makes sense. when he is playing i dont worry, but it was just coz he was so worked up... i think i will definitely do that next time though, coz things didnt go well this time.