Our sister sites
Our sister sites
paulabgv
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-09-2006, 06:52 PM

Licking New Pup Excessively

Hi all

Wondering if anybody could help me with this please?
We have Toby (10 years & Neutered), JJ (2 years, entire) and now Georgie (she's 11 weeks old, we've had her a fortnight)

Anyway the first few days Toby took not much notice of her at all, he seemed to just accept she was there and that was it. However he has now started licking her loads and hovering over her and panting heavily. Usually at the same time every day (6pm to 7pm) Although he has done it once or twice at other times.

If we call him off he takes no notice it's like as if he's in a complete trance, in fact he does it even more then.

To be honest i get nervous when he does it as he's so much bigger than her and this behaviour just makes me nervous. I tend to seperate them when this happens but don't know if i'm doing good or bad.

JJ doesn't join in and when we first had JJ Toby did it to him although not as bad.

All help much appreciated, thanks
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-09-2006, 07:48 PM
Hi Paula I don't think you have anything to worry about really , I am pretty sure Toby wouldn't hurt Georgie as she is a bitch and he an elderly dog. As long as there is space so Georgie can escape if she doesn't like the attention things should be ok . When she gets older being a bitch she will no doubt put both dogs in their place in no uncertain terms.
paulabgv
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-09-2006, 07:55 PM
Thanks for that, it's what i needed to hear some reassurance
Even though we had puppies before i always worry myself sick, Toby hasn't been horrible with her, he has snapped once but that was because she wouldn't get off his mouth, so her fault, she did need telling off.

Thanks so much again
Meg
Supervisor

24-09-2006, 08:06 PM
Paula you can never say never with dogs but I am 90% sure he won't hurt Georgie . I wouldn't tell Toby off or draw attention to the unwanted behaviour, but it is to be discouraged because it could become repetitive behaviour so distract him if you possibly can and make sure Georgie can escape from him ..
paulabgv
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-09-2006, 08:39 PM
Oh we make sure she can escape and get some peace from him but you could almost set your watch at the time he'll start. It's so strange,
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-09-2006, 08:45 PM
its not some thing silly like she has the smell of food on her and hes attracted to that?
if its the same time or has she just had her supper?
paulabgv
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-09-2006, 08:53 PM
This will probably sound weirder but it's around the time that my Mum (she comes to ours for tea most days as OH picks her up from work) comes home. It lasts for anything up to 45 minutes but usually less.
She doesn't make a fuss of them when she comes in, she just says hello when she's settled. We have our tea and then it starts. When the dogs have their tea it doesn't bother Toby at all.
Meg
Supervisor

24-09-2006, 09:36 PM
Originally Posted by paulabgv View Post
This will probably sound weirder but it's around the time that my Mum (she comes to ours for tea most days as OH picks her up from work) comes home. It lasts for anything up to 45 minutes but usually less.
She doesn't make a fuss of them when she comes in, she just says hello when she's settled. We have our tea and then it starts. When the dogs have their tea it doesn't bother Toby at all.
Perhaps its a possession thing and Toby is laying claim to the puppy and telling your Mum she belongs to him
paulabgv
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-09-2006, 10:43 AM
Hmm well seen as Toby thinks she's his, he can clean up after her