Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AiredaleKate
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-03-2008, 09:58 AM

Undigested tablets in poo (sorry!)

Sorry for the title.

Right, posted yesterday on the food section about our pup, but now wonder if the problem is a health issue.

Quick version of events. Mid feb, overnight goes from being totally fine on her food (JWB puppy) to having awful dire rear. Starved for 24 hours, then introduced boiled chicken or boiled white fish and rice.

Still awful runny tum after 2 days on that so took to vet. Vet said nothing seemed too wrong, and to starve again then try chicken/fish and rice again along with some Pro Kolin paste which she prescribed.

Still not great after another 5 days, so back we went for blood and fecal tests. Pup looked very thin and coat had lost condition, but all along she has been bright and very keen to eat. Vet prescribed Hill ID food, which is good for dogs who've had bad stomach upsets.

She did better on this food. Bloods results all fine, fecal results showed Campylobacter and Chlostridium Perfringens bacteria, but these are carried by many dogs anyway, without causing them probs, but just in case, Erithromycn prescribed. Pup sick after taking these for first two days, so back to vet for anti nausea tablets and more Hills ID food.

She has been taking the rest of the anti biotics for the last 7 days, eating the Hills ID and all seemed fine...we thought.

We started mixing in a very small amount of some Autarky food into her Hills yesterday - decided to try something different from the JWB. Came downstairs this morning to liquid poo all over the kitchen, and clearly visible in it were EIGHT of the anti biotics still whole and completely undigested. That's 4 days worth of the 7 days worth she's had.

I have called our vet this morning and she's going to call back after morning surgery. Surely it can't be right that they have all sat in her stomach undigested all that time? Anyone experienced anything like this with meds?

It makes me wonder if the underlying issue is some kind of malabsorption or digestive problem.

K x
horses01466
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-03-2008, 12:09 PM
Gosh you have my sympathy.........poor puupy..
No, I cant be any help,as I havent seen a dog not digest that amount of tablets..unless, if you just put them down he throat whole, maybe they didnt dissolve in her gut...
oh, I dont know... see what your vet thinks... maybe the food is a bit rich for her??
Hope you find the problem X
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2008, 12:14 PM
poor pup, I have no advice just sending healing thoughts xx
AiredaleKate
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-03-2008, 12:17 PM
We had been putting them down her throat whole. The first two days she took them fine, but after being sick after them (a known possible side effect) she refused them. She takes the anti nausea pills fine, but perhaps she remembered being sick after the anti biotics. They are to be taken on an empty tum, so we have had little choice but to put them at the back of her throat and wait until she's swallowed.

Still waiting for vet to call back. Will try again if they don't call by 12.45. Would like to speak to them/take her in if needed before Easter hols.

I too feel so sorry for her as she is so obviously starving hungry. She doesn't seem ill as such, but she isn't zooming around madly like a puppy would either, presumably because she hasn't a great deal of energy.

K x
elmac13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2008, 12:31 PM
Maybe the vet could give you a liquid form of the antibiotic or even an injection. Hope you get things sorted anyway.
AiredaleKate
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-03-2008, 12:38 PM
Elmac, I hope so. There are two other anti biotics which can be used normally, but neither are safe for puppies as one is known to stunt growth, the other to cause kidney problems.

Good job she's cute as she's giving mummy grey hair!
elmac13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2008, 03:17 PM
She is very cute I pinched your Bagpuss idea and got one for Rufus. He loves it.
AiredaleKate
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-03-2008, 03:26 PM
Well, I spoke to the vet, who in turn had spoken to one of her colleagues at the main hospital.

She said they are both totally stumped that that many tablets could have passed through like that and have never experienced anything like it, not too reassuring. Said was I sure it wasn't vomit, but it was definitely not

So for over the Easter weekend we're to keep her on the Hills ID only, and either our vet or the one from the main hospital will contact us early next week to see about further tests for malabsorption problems, although the original fecal tests should have indicated this if it was a problem but didn't.

Elmac, madame comandeered poor Bagpuss on a secret mission upstairs when the stairgate was open! I think they must like the super softness/squdginess of him. She carries mine (hers!) around everywhere, though after this mornings poop fest, he is currently in the washing machine

K x
elmac13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2008, 08:42 PM
Originally Posted by AiredaleKate View Post
Well, I spoke to the vet, who in turn had spoken to one of her colleagues at the main hospital.

She said they are both totally stumped that that many tablets could have passed through like that and have never experienced anything like it, not too reassuring. Said was I sure it wasn't vomit, but it was definitely not

So for over the Easter weekend we're to keep her on the Hills ID only, and either our vet or the one from the main hospital will contact us early next week to see about further tests for malabsorption problems, although the original fecal tests should have indicated this if it was a problem but didn't.

Elmac, madame comandeered poor Bagpuss on a secret mission upstairs when the stairgate was open! I think they must like the super softness/squdginess of him. She carries mine (hers!) around everywhere, though after this mornings poop fest, he is currently in the washing machine

K x

Keep us posted on progress.
AiredaleKate
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-05-2008, 01:28 PM
Just an update on our pup.

All is fine now. She was kept on the Hills ID as it was keeping her tummy settled.

Fecal tests were repeated two weeks ago and were completely clear of the Campylobacter and Chlostridium Perfringens, so looks like we've got it cracked.

She's put on a good amount of weight and great condition again, and we have now begun a switch to Burns food which she is doing great on so far.

Our vet thinks the reason for the tablets passing through and the continued tummy problems were that her poor little tum took such a bashing originally that it took some time to repair itself and couldn't cope with the added irritation of antibiotics. Hopefully now she'll stay happy and healthy!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >