Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
KCrow
New Member!
Female 

13-01-2013, 12:09 PM

Can dogs get Meniere's Disease?

My 13 year old Maltese, Buffy has in the last month started going deaf, standing in the one place as though confused and losing her balance when she goes to move. She sometimes falls over but mostly staggers. She seems completely disorientated and bumps into things - something she would never do before. (She has been so active previously, that she would even jump up onto the top of her kennel to look through the kitchen window.) She occasionally rubs her right ear with her paw. She no longer protects herself from being walked on etc and she is not running around and greeting visitors when they arrive.
I've had her to the vet but he doesn't know what is wrong with her. I brought up the possibility of a brain tumour but scans to diagnose such things are too expensive to pay for when your dog is 13. It occurred to me today that she could have Meniere's Disease. Is this possible?
Does anyone have any ideas what could be happening?
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2013, 12:25 PM
My nan's dog was like that when he got old, we put it down to a kind of dementia, not sure there is anything a vet can do as it will probably be age related, someone else on here may have other ideas,but she maybe coming to the end of her happy life now and time to start thinking if she still has a good enough quality of life that she is enjoying or time to think about the unthinkable Thoughts are with you x x
KCrow
New Member!
Female 

14-01-2013, 11:40 AM
Thanks Zoeyvonne.
I appreciate your advice. I don't think Buffy is at that point yet but would definitely consider putting her down when she is in too much pain or discomfort.
She still seems content but is very different. I'm thinking it may be Vestibular Syndrome. I'll take her back to the vets with that suggestion.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-01-2013, 02:06 PM
it sounds like some sort of inner ear infection? my friends dad had one and he kept falling over for no apparent reason

fingers crossed xxxx did they not suggest a course of anitbiotics or drops at the very least? start simple and all that?
KCrow
New Member!
Female 

15-01-2013, 04:06 AM
Thanks Dobermonkey,
I think we are on the right track.