View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
venus
Dogsey Junior

11-05-2005, 05:37 PM

any advice?

hi has anyone got any advice. when i take my boy staffy in the show ring, all he does is put his nose constantly on the ground. at welks i was in a class of 15, and it seemed he was the only one doing it. can any one help??????????

many thanks
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2005, 05:56 PM
How old is he Venus ?
b-eye
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-05-2005, 05:57 PM
a little dab of citronella or lavender oil, on the chin i find helps, mine are both hoovers if they get the chance but find the oil helps especially if its outside rings
good luck
Huggles
B-eye
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2005, 06:04 PM
How does that work B-eye- out of interest?
Housedog
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-05-2005, 06:44 PM
Hello Venus, hold something in your hand that is more interesting to him than any ground scent,
venus
Dogsey Junior

11-05-2005, 07:39 PM
he is 2 years old on the 30th of this month, he does get a bit grumpy in the ring and either wants to lie down or just constantly sniff!!
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2005, 03:40 PM
The idea of putting something smelly on his chin is to disguise the scents he is smelling on the ground .He is a mature male and so unfortunately is scenting bitches that have been in the ring. I have this problem with my 2 mature elkhounds and it is most frustrating.Unfortunately bitch owners will take in season bitches to shows and the scent can linger for days....I find this frustrating and most inconsiderate.
How to stop it? Well the oil on the chin is worth a try.However with my lot it has been a case of getting strict with them and re training.I give a command when attention is required and then treat and praise.The dogs are not allowed to scent the ground even whe they are not being seen in the ring.
venus
Dogsey Junior

12-05-2005, 03:51 PM
so realistically how long will it take me to untrain this behaviour do you think? will he know the difference between being in the ring and when he goes for a walk?. when we are in the ring and i tell him off, he goes into a big sulk and looks really bored!!
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2005, 03:55 PM
Originally Posted by Archer
Unfortunately bitch owners will take in season bitches to shows and the scent can linger for days....I find this frustrating and most inconsiderate.
Funny you should say that as at a recent show someone told the steward there was blood on one of the mats in the bitch ring is anyone really that desperate for a place ?
venus
Dogsey Junior

12-05-2005, 04:24 PM
i had that in one of the rings went i went to a show in exeter. the bitch was next to me and my hot blooded male dog, i looked down and saw she had blood coming out of her, he was going mad trying to hump the floor and my leg!! eventually he became so stressed that he just lost it and pooed every where. since then i must admit he has composed himself better and we went on to win a first, i think the judge felt sorry for us, only i felt sorry for the steward who had to clean up our mess, even though i offered to do it!!. the owner was oblivious to it apparently!!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >