Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2009, 12:41 PM

Poor Dog - cruelty through 'kindness'

I'm almost tempted...knowing we've been through it all before with Hoki

.....but it was much harder work than I expected and for the first time in 2 years we have two fit healthy dogs, which I would just like to enjoy for awhile, though I do feel guilty for feeling that way.

I hope he finds a home that will get him slim and fit again.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20090112/...g-45dbed5.html

A charity in Scotland is looking for a new home for a dog who has had to be placed on an extreme low-fat diet because he is too fat to walk. Patch weighed 4st 4lb (28kg) when he was brought in to the Dogs Trust's Glasgow centre - twice his normal weight and roughly equivalent to an eight-year-old child.

Because his legs cannot support his body weight, he has to be placed in a special harness and carried around.

Now the centre's staff are trying to get the six-year-old Beagle Cross into shape.

Over the next few months the aim is to slim him down to a more manageable 15kg.

Victoria Kelly, from the centre, said: "Patch was handed in to the centre just before Christmas after his owner passed away.

"We get a lot of overfed dogs in the centre, but nothing to the extent of Patch.

"As soon as he came in we knew something needed to be done."

Patch's obesity leaves him at grave risk of developing heart failure, diabetes, liver disease, pancreatitis or arthritis.

However, he risks organ failure if he loses weight too quickly.

Staff are therefore placing him on a gradual exercise programme, consisting of short daily walks in his harness and hydrotherapy sessions.

Ms Kelly said: "Dogs that have been overfed can exercise to reduce their weight. What's happened with Patch is that his weight has prevented him exercising.

"The harness supports his body so the weight isn't entirely on his legs. We take him on very short walks throughout the day.

"Since he's been with us he's actually lost a kilogram in weight already, so he's on the right path."

Now the centre is looking for a home for Patch, promising to meet the cost of any further medical treatment.

Ms Kelly said: "We're looking for a home to work quite closely with us, but also somebody who can avoid falling for the charms of his big brown eyes, pleading for treats.

"He's a lovely dog and he'll fit right into a home."
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2009, 12:58 PM
I saw this poor dog on the local news I do hope they manage to slim him down sufficiently to enable the poor thing to actually walk
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2009, 01:16 PM
Saw this too and feel sorry for the poor dog hope he gets fit and can enjoy walking again - its going to be pretty hard as you say Hali.
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2009, 01:27 PM
It really angers me seeing things like this.

The owner surely saw that their dog was overweight. It's not hard to tell...
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2009, 01:31 PM
Similar to the programme we watched last night about the heaviest teenager. Where do you draw the line on cruelty!

I want him. I really want this little guy. I wish I could have him. No over feeding in my house, much to Woody's disappointment! ;o)
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2009, 01:36 PM
I saw this last night on the news, that poor boy. Whoever takes him on has a hard job ahead to get him healthy again
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2009, 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I saw this poor dog on the local news I do hope they manage to slim him down sufficiently to enable the poor thing to actually walk
With the determination to do it I'm sure they will. In some ways it is easier at the rescue centre since the dog isn't lying at your feet giving those big puppy dog eyes or getting sulky/moody through hunger. I just hope that his body hasn't suffered too much through it.

Originally Posted by rachelsetters View Post
Saw this too and feel sorry for the poor dog hope he gets fit and can enjoy walking again - its going to be pretty hard as you say Hali.
Do you know I was surprised how hard it was. You can't simply up the exercise too much as their bodies can't cope and getting the balance right between a sensible diet and a starving dog takes a lot of work.

But what I would say to anyone thinking about rescuing him, is that from seeing how happy and healthy Hoki now is, it is so worth the effort.

Originally Posted by jesterjenn View Post
It really angers me seeing things like this.

The owner surely saw that their dog was overweight. It's not hard to tell...
I agree, but having rescued a dog very similar (Hoki, a border collie, weighed 39kg when she was rescued), I do have a little more understanding. Once they are very overweight (and there's no excuse for that in the first place), it can be difficult to tell without scales whether the dog is losing weight. My OH and I used to have bets with each other before a weigh in as to how much she had lost. Neither of us ever guessed correctly and in fact on one scarey occasion where we hadn't weighed her for a few weeks, she'd actually put on 2kg

Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Similar to the programme we watched last night about the heaviest teenager. Where do you draw the line on cruelty!

I want him. I really want this little guy. I wish I could have him. No over feeding in my house, much to Woody's disappointment! ;o)
I'm sure you'd do a good job too - not sure that poor Patch could cope with the active Woody just yet though
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-01-2009, 02:38 PM
I will never understand why people think it is OK to overfeed a dog like this. Poor fella, hopefully they manage to get some weight off and find him a good home.
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-01-2009, 02:40 PM
Hali,

Just you enjoy your fit healthy dogs for now and don't feel guilty about it. You have worked really hard to get them that way. You can't rescue all the neglected dogs out there, even though it breaks your heart to see them that way. It sounds like the rescue centre will take good care of him.
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2009, 02:59 PM
Poor boy. Always hard to see a dog you think you could help - but if the circumstances aren't right for you, you are not actually doing the dog - or yours- a favour.
Fingers crossed someone will come forward and give this lad a forever home.x
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >