Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-03-2010, 05:43 AM

Which flea preventative?

I want to get my pup on a flea prevention

but what really works I know here there is

Bio Spot

Advantage and

Frontline are the 3 "best" ones but do they really work are their any other kinds? Because Honestly i'm not made of money i dont have a money tree

im looking for some thats "not cheap" but a sensable price

advice?! plz?!
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2010, 06:17 AM
It is a bit of a mix, with flea treatments, they are expensive but if they work it is worth it.
Frontline is good but apparently the fleas are starting to become resistant to it.
Advantage, I have just started using which so far seems good.
Never heard of Bio spot
if you shop around there can be a price difference if you can find a catalogue where they send it directly to you it can work out a fair bit cheaper ( but still expensive, if you get what I mean)
spaznchevy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-03-2010, 06:21 AM
yes i do its just soo costly but Chevy is worth it though
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2010, 07:35 AM
Hi,
I would avoid using anything that is your typical pet shop methods, although they now sell frontline at petshops and chemists.

I personally use frontline spray its easier as i have 3 cats and 2dogs and can use the same product on all three. Also i dont like the spot on all that chemical concentrated into one small area, I have seen reactions to this and dont want to take a chance with mine.

Speak to your local RSPCA hospital you may be eligable to get frontline from them at a reduced rate.

You also need to treat your home once a year otherwise what ever you use will be pointless. the spray costs me less than 20 quid and that lasted me two treatments.

ATD x
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2010, 07:40 AM
I use 'advocate' from the vets (although I did hear you can get it online, keep meaning to look that one up) which covers fleas and worms through a simple drop treatment.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-03-2010, 11:17 AM
I personally wouldnt bother unless you are surrounded by cats or critturs. Just treat if Chev gets them. My boy is 3 now and the only time he has 'had fleas' was due to playing with hedgehogs. And even then he didnt get flea treatment, i just picked them off him when i had parked the hedgehog out of harms way. They are easy to find on a black n tan (and hedgehog fleas dont like dogs apparently anyway?!)

I wouldnt fret about it (unless there is concern about flea born diseases in your area?)
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-03-2010, 11:22 AM
I would talk to your vet. They have the safest and most effective ones. There are many different ones, some of them protecting against other things too. My dogs are on Sentinel because it also protects against whip worms too. Not all vets carry all the different products. Let your vet help you pick one.

Many people don't like the OTC flea products. We tried one last year on the golden puppy we had. He broke out in a rash.
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2010, 11:34 AM
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
I would talk to your vet. They have the safest and most effective ones. There are many different ones, some of them protecting against other things too. My dogs are on Sentinel because it also protects against whip worms too. Not all vets carry all the different products. Let your vet help you pick one.
so your vet is going to promote the one they stock, look around for yourself
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2010, 11:14 AM
I can actually help here. I can tell you absolutely do NOT get anything over the counter in a pet store. (Anything made by Hartz, or Sargentz or the like, may as well be labeled "dog poison")

In my experience Biospot doesn't work at all.

The best, safest on the market are the Frontline, Advantage, Advantix, spot ons, or the new comfortis is a monthly pill that kills fleas for 30 days.

Where in the US do you live? Is it a warm climate? Do you have lots of ticks?

For me, I don't treat except for the summer months, or if she gets fleas. I get a dose of capstar from the vet, its a one time dose that will kill all the fleas on your pet in four hours and keep them off for 24. Then apply a spot on to prevent for the rest of the month.

The only exception to this is if you live in an area with TICKS! Ticks are evil little ******s that carry nasty diseases that can kill your dog, so if you have ticks in your area, its safer to put a monthly preventative on, at least in the spring/summer/fall. You can typically skip winter.

Hope that helps!
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2010, 11:28 AM
Have you looked at Diatom earth. It is a powder or a spray that kills and prevents fleas...and it is a natural dust so no chemicals.