Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2014, 01:55 PM

Prune juice as a laxative for dogs?

just before Lent and then my "break" wee dog had had an
enema for a blockage. not a happy experience for her and nor for i suspect the vet.

he had advised that she would be sore for a few day but she started to eat.

only thing was she was still straining unproductively every time we went outside.

no huge red soreness like before and she was peeing.

i googled of course, in between deciding to go back to the vet with her.

read an interesting case history re a cat in similar case whose owner wore a track t o the vet...enema after enema and then she wa s told the cat would be on daily strong laxatives all her life. the owner was not happy and asking for advice.

as before castor oil dribbled through with little else.

then someone online recommended prune juice so i invested in a carton of tesco basic...never knew there were so many varieties of prune juice.

she is easy to dose as she has a little gap between her top front teeth. a syringe fits in neatly.

so on went the prune juiceand that day nothing much

so i determined to take her to the vet the following morning. repacked the car, got it to outside the door, filled my flask etc etc etc

went to get her and there by the door of their room a neat heap of poo....hers as collie wanders doing hers.

it was though several weeks before she was totally back to her old ebullient and regular self.

prune juice works for her ...gently but firmly.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-05-2014, 11:23 AM
Whenever I've had a dog that I thought was struggling to go, Rio once had problems ejecting a rather odd shaped bone she'd swallowed I just give them pilchards or sardines which are nice an oily and seem to do the trick. These days they are fed them quite regularly anyway. Never even thought about prune juice to be honest.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2014, 02:07 PM
I'm surprised to read prunes are recommended Rosebud. In view of the fact that grapes are considered poisonous to dogs. (Something I didn't know about until quite recently, my last dog loved grapes and ate them with no ill effect) When I googled about the grapes I recall reading that prunes too are toxic to dogs?

That grapes, raisins and prunes can result in kidney damage or even kidney failure?
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

11-05-2014, 02:34 PM
Some information about dogs and prunes HERE.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

11-05-2014, 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by Tang View Post
I'm surprised to read prunes are recommended Rosebud. In view of the fact that grapes are considered poisonous to dogs. (Something I didn't know about until quite recently, my last dog loved grapes and ate them with no ill effect) When I googled about the grapes I recall reading that prunes too are toxic to dogs?

That grapes, raisins and prunes can result in kidney damage or even kidney failure?
I think those lists are sometimes a bit misleading in all honesty, I think it's prune stones which contain cyanide that are toxic. They list all sorts such as apples whereas again it's the pips containing cyanide.
It's a miracle Diesel is still alive and kicking, he eats a couple of apples a day, always has the broccoli stalk, nicks grapes whenever the opportunity arises and is always hunting down nuts around the parrots cage.
One dogs toxic appears to be anothers must haves
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2014, 07:06 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
I think those lists are sometimes a bit misleading in all honesty, I think it's prune stones which contain cyanide that are toxic. They list all sorts such as apples whereas again it's the pips containing cyanide.
It's a miracle Diesel is still alive and kicking, he eats a couple of apples a day, always has the broccoli stalk, nicks grapes whenever the opportunity arises and is always hunting down nuts around the parrots cage.
Every time I read another new warning about dangers to dogs re what they eat I MARVEL at how the tens of thousands of stray and street dogs here survive and look healthy. They survive entirely on what they can scavenge out the back of Tavernas and dustbins.

Or for that matter all the old mongrels people used to keep who lived long healthy lives (most of them ran the streets all day too) and before all this advice about what dogs could and couldn't eat was hardly heard of. As kids we used to regularly share our sweets with the dog!
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2014, 06:39 AM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
These lists are very misleading. often based on one dogs experience anecdotally disseminated and with no objective proof

our dogs have over decades eaten grapes etc and we wonder if the one really bad case was due to chemical being sprayed.
l
it is like the cats being lactose intoerant business; never one in 40 years
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2014, 06:40 AM
Every time I read another new warning about dangers to dogs re what they eat I MARVEL at how the tens of thousands of stray and street dogs here survive and look healthy. They survive entirely on what they can scavenge out the back of Tavernas and dustbins.

Or for that matter all the old mongrels people used to keep who lived long healthy lives (most of them ran the streets all day too) and before all this advice about what dogs could and couldn't eat was hardly heard of. As kids we used to regularly share our sweets with the dog!
thank you!
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2014, 06:44 AM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Some information about dogs and prunes HERE.
ah that is a sales site so of course...

their reasoning is invalid in this case

the advice came for me from very and experienced dog folk and i trust that over any advertising hype
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2014, 06:46 AM

amazed us too but that was based on i think one lab in a greenhouse so we wonder re toxic pesticides etc.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >