View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tealhope
New Member!
Female 

25-05-2012, 09:17 PM

Will jogging past other dogs help with leash reaction??

I'm always looking for different ways to help with my leash reactive pup. I'm wondering if I jog past or do any other fast paces with encouragement when we see other dogs help reduce leash reactions when we see other dogs or will that put him over threshold?? I've been doing other methods but a majority of the walks we go on have little to no doggy encounters. I've tried practicing at the dog park but its hard getting there many days because its so far.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2012, 09:26 PM
Speed increases arousal
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-05-2012, 09:45 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Speed increases arousal
True but with some dogs they become more focused and thus beneficially distracted by the faster moving object i.e the handler, rather than the previous potential target.

However as with so many things in training, it depends on the individual dog, and the skill and timing of the handler, including their ability to engage the dog with them, which in some cases can be helped by speed as this can both make the handler more interesting to the dog, and give it more to think about, leaving less opportunity (and time or chance) to be reactive to other things.

With other individuals, and/or with a less skilled handler, the increased excitement/arousal will indeed make them more reactive to the original target/stimulus.

The overall outcome can also be influenced by the reaction of the stimulus dog to the increased speed i.e. does it attract extra attention from the potential target thereby raising the intensity of that stimulus for the case dog?
LindsayP
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-05-2012, 10:27 PM
I must admit rightly or wrongly I've took to jogging past other dogs..it seems to help Reg as he just wants to get away, it's almost like he struggles to decide between fight and flight, giving him the option of flight calms him right down.
I'm sure there must be better ways of dealing with this but it works for us.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2012, 11:39 PM
When I am out with Bella and see anyone, anything, any dog, coming towards us - I call her to me and put her on her lead. I don't get excited, I speak to her calmly and we just continue - sometimes it is a walker who wants to say hello to the dog. More often it is a native of Cyprus who thinks dogs are the devils spawn! And when it's another dog I leave nothing to chance until we are abreast of them.

If it's a 'nice dog' with a 'nice owner' off comes the lead and let them play and run together for a while. I would say just about 100% of the time I can call Bella back to me when she/I/they have had enough and she will come like an angel. And I SMIRK and feel very SMUG when the other owner cannot catch, recall or grab or even get anywhere near their dog as we walk off! (I know I am horrible!)

I used to put myself out and stand stock still or even help them to grab the dog. But nowadays I think what the hell - let them run after us - my dog is with ME - they should spend a bit of time training their dog! Very often they will shout STOP! at me! I have told them 'Don't speak to me as if I am your dog - try practising the stop and stay on your dog instead!'

I am not just horrible, I am pretty evil and take delight in briskly walking off in whatever direction they DID NOT want to go - while they look more and more feeble and hopeless trying to get their dog to come to them instead of following me.

I find pleasure in the simplest things!
Jenkel
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-05-2012, 11:55 PM
Originally Posted by Tass View Post
True but with some dogs they become more focused and thus beneficially distracted by the faster moving object i.e the handler, rather than the previous potential target.

However as with so many things in training, it depends on the individual dog, and the skill and timing of the handler, including their ability to engage the dog with them, which in some cases can be helped by speed as this can both make the handler more interesting to the dog, and give it more to think about, leaving less opportunity (and time or chance) to be reactive to other things.

With other individuals, and/or with a less skilled handler, the increased excitement/arousal will indeed make them more reactive to the original target/stimulus.

The overall outcome can also be influenced by the reaction of the stimulus dog to the increased speed i.e. does it attract extra attention from the potential target thereby raising the intensity of that stimulus for the case dog?
Tass

that was very interesting and true, I'm always accused that I'm going too fast when I'm doing any training/agility with Kel (GSD) but he actually responds better at speed and his focus becomes 100 percent, if I slow him he quickly drops interest.

julie
Tealhope
New Member!
Female 

26-05-2012, 04:02 AM
I do find that the more active I am with him, the better he is. Thanks i'll def. start working on more games on lead
Tealhope
New Member!
Female 

26-05-2012, 04:06 AM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
When I am out with Bella and see anyone, anything, any dog, coming towards us - I call her to me and put her on her lead. I don't get excited, I speak to her calmly and we just continue - sometimes it is a walker who wants to say hello to the dog. More often it is a native of Cyprus who thinks dogs are the devils spawn! And when it's another dog I leave nothing to chance until we are abreast of them.

If it's a 'nice dog' with a 'nice owner' off comes the lead and let them play and run together for a while. I would say just about 100% of the time I can call Bella back to me when she/I/they have had enough and she will come like an angel. And I SMIRK and feel very SMUG when the other owner cannot catch, recall or grab or even get anywhere near their dog as we walk off! (I know I am horrible!)

I used to put myself out and stand stock still or even help them to grab the dog. But nowadays I think what the hell - let them run after us - my dog is with ME - they should spend a bit of time training their dog! Very often they will shout STOP! at me! I have told them 'Don't speak to me as if I am your dog - try practising the stop and stay on your dog instead!'

I am not just horrible, I am pretty evil and take delight in briskly walking off in whatever direction they DID NOT want to go - while they look more and more feeble and hopeless trying to get their dog to come to them instead of following me.

I find pleasure in the simplest things!
For some reason I find this disturbing..Whatever floats your boat but i'm glad i'll never have to cross paths with you
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-05-2012, 06:58 AM
Originally Posted by Tass View Post

i agree, its a yes and no answer. its down to precise timing and handling, and what you do directly after each little run. i used this method to quiet down my reactive gobby GSD X collie when i took her on long walks with friends dogs, and used this method so i eventually had her walking by the dogs. Each time she gobbed off i sprinted ahead, then came back somewhat. If she gobbed again, i sprinted off, until the distance became shorter and shorter. But the thing that determined the success of this, and this is crucial, was how fit and energetic i was, as it was danmed hard work sprinting up hills at a second's notice.

and it depends WHY the dog is reactive, mine screams and shouts when she sees other dogs as she wants them to be closer, as she is too bullishly friendly, and gets frustrated.

and i did other stuff during the walk too, like general obedience and work to a tennis ball
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

26-05-2012, 07:03 AM
When you say 'leash reactive' what is happening?

Is the dog lunging, pulling to get to the dog or pulling to get away?

Is it all dogs or just some?

What have you tried so far apart from jogging by?

What age is the pup?

Where are you with loose leash walking? How reliable are your sit down and leave commands right now?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >