Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hammer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

03-04-2009, 07:39 PM

Severe Stiffness & Limping

Hi guys,

I've had a terrible few months with my Boxer, Benson, to the point where he has become an enormous strain on me, particularly due to the amount of money I'm spending on him, and secondly due to the frustration that I cannot seem to fix him.

About 5 months ago I noticed Benson seemed to be developing stiffness, particularly when getting up and first walking around. As he was not even four years old, and due to the fact that it came and went, I didn't think much of it.

However, one morning about 3 months ago, he couldn't even get off his bed. He just kept looking at his back legs, but wouldn't stand. Eventually, he made it onto his feet and limped outside for a wee.

That was my first visit to the vet regarding this problem, today was my tenth. Having x-rayed Benson's entire body, the vet discovered an abnormality in his spine, causing two vertebrate to rub together, thus causing inflammation and in turn severe limping and stiffness in his limbs.

Benson was put on Metacam which seemed to work very well for the first fortnight. However, after about a month on Metacam he was pretty bad again. The vet said to give it another couple of weeks, but things didn't improve.

The vet then suggested that as well as the Metacam I try him on a supplement called Synoquin, which I immediately agreed to...he is now 3 weeks into the 6 week loading dose. The vet said that he also had to go on a weight management programme, dropping him from 35kg down to 29/30kg which he is now at.

Today, the vet took him off Metacam as it simply wasn't working and has now prescribed me with Prednoleucotrpin...I haven't got a clue what this does.

I'm finding it really difficult right now. Every spare penny I have is going on the dog, and it's causing a lot of arguments between my wife and I. He is insured with Direct Line, but they are being very slow in paying me back. However, when renewal time comes in August, I know that he's now virtually uninsurable!

Can anybody advise me as to whether they think Prednoleucotropin and Synoquin will help him once it's in his system? Is there any food I can give him that will help his bones and joints? Are there any other supplements/medications etc that will help?

Your advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2009, 07:49 PM
No advice, sorry, just wanted to offer some hugs to you all - sounds like you're going through the mill.

x0x
pupsandpets
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-04-2009, 07:54 PM
Hi
I have a golden retriever with elbow dysplasia and she is on seroquin. It's just a joint supplement to help reduce stiffness and it works well for her but she has other medication aswell.
She also takes Rimadyl which is an antiflamtory as well as a pain relief and that actually made the difference as it obviously helped with the pain.
She also has to have a monthly injection of cartrophen.

To be honest the medication helps but we noticed the biggest difference in her when they refered her to hydrotherapy swimming. It's been fantastic and then more recently the vet also started giving her acupuncture and it's like we have a different dog. You wouldn't beleive there is anything wrong with her at all.

Has your vet made any of these suggestions? Obviously it's a different problem and may not help but if they do suggest it I would really recommend giving it a try.

My vet don't charge me up front they send their claims directly to the insurer so I'm not out of pocket - could your vet do the same to help you?

Hope that helps.
Tori

ps - one word of warning - I started giving Holly the pedigree joint sticks that are advertised on TV but then discovered it has the same ingredients as the seroquin so I was actually giving too high a dose, so don't be tempted by those!
bugzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-04-2009, 07:56 PM
I've used and reccomended people to use Devils claw for dogs with stiffness/joint problems. My sisters collie has arthritus and after I reccomended she put her collie onto devils claw her bracken doesnt appear to have any stiffness at all. I've used it myself with my Dobermann's, and my hubbys dad also uses it as he is getting stiff in his old age too. My Aunties Partners labs are getting on a bit and she has also started to use Devils claw on her labs, she also uses something called green lipped muscle?
You can buy devils claw in liquid form from health food shops, or online on places like ebay etc. The one I used to buy was called NO-BUTE Devils claw.
hope this helps.
JIMMY LAW
Dogsey Junior
Male 

03-04-2009, 08:00 PM
Have you thought of acupunctre, it sounds very similar to a freinds boxer. This isnt a cure but its a relief and you should see the difference in her once she has had the treatment.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2009, 08:38 PM
I have a dog who has suffered from Spondylosis (arthritis of the spine) for years. We have managed it by giving him joint supplements - glucosamine, chondroitin & MSM, plus cod liver oil. I buy the human ones online as they are massively cheaper.
He also had acupuncture from my vet, and chiro from a qualified chiropractor.
He has just gone on to metacam (he`s 14).
I find warmth helps (keeping the back warm that is) and gentle swimming to relax the muscles, and also gentle exercise.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

03-04-2009, 09:07 PM
Ollie isn't 3 till June and has started to limp on his left leg after resting and walking 10-15 minutes. He is on Forever Freedom an aloe vera gel drink it has made his life easier, it has glucosamine sulphate and chrondoitin sulphate and msm a natural painkiller and anti inflammatory, also lobster and crab shell. His breeder recommended this to me.
You can buy it off the internet and with delivery costs about £26 a month, he started on 60 mls a day to get it under control about a month and is now on the maintenance level 30 mls a day.
Skyesmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-04-2009, 09:17 PM
Willow has mild arthritis in her back legs I give her glucosamine and condroitin tablet every day (human ones) which have helped her so much I really noticed a difference when she didn't have them for a couple of days (due to sickness) also have heard green lipped muscle extract is excellent for joints etc, but not tried it yet

Good luck and i really hope you find a treatment to ease his discomfort

Jann
X
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2009, 09:59 PM
Have you looked into Bioflow magnetic collars?

http://www.amazinghealth.co.uk/bioflow-dog-collar.htm
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2009, 10:26 PM
Cod liver oil and green lip mussel tabs are awesome for stiff joints etc.I'm just about to add those to my wee cockers diet as he was showing signs of being a little stiff after his walkies the other night there xxxxx
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >