Our sister sites
Our sister sites
dog_lover
New Member!
Male 

25-06-2012, 08:32 AM

First Season

Hello,

My first bitch is in season. Swollen yesterday, followed by bleeding today.
How long will this last - (10 days approx?)
And how long until she is completely finished (safe to be off lead etc) (2 -3 weeks?)

I want to breed after 3 seasons, so approx at the age of 2 - 3. When would I take her to stud. (Once the bleeding has stopped?)

Thanks.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2012, 01:56 PM
Originally Posted by dog_lover View Post
Hello,

And how long until she is completely finished (safe to be off lead etc) (2 -3 weeks?)

I want to breed after 3 seasons, so approx at the age of 2 - 3. When would I take her to stud. (Once the bleeding has stopped?)

Thanks.
Seasons vary, generally the bleeding lasts for a week or two followed by pale coloured discharge that you don't notice for a week or two afterwards, they have usually finished within 3-4 weeks.

With regards to breeding you need to do a hell of a lot more research as you are asking such a basic question online.
Bitches vary as to when they ovulate during a season, it is typically 9-15 days after bleeding starts but I have known bitches ovulate as early as day 3 and as late as day 28.

Like I said, do a LOT more research before you breed her (including relevant health tests) before you even consider it.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2012, 03:31 PM
My whippet just finished her first season . She bled for the whole 4 weeks . They are all different .
Cant offer any advice about breeding a bitch as I have never bred one .
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2012, 04:03 PM
The bitches oestrus cycle aka seasons can vary from bitch to bitch & they don't actually "bleed"blood but normally have a blood-like discharge for a week or so at each end of the cycle.

The normal oestrus cycle lasts around 3 weeks in the bitch, and can be divided into a number of distinct
stages:
Pro-oestrus usually lasts for around 9 days. In pro-oestrus the vulva becomes swollen with a red discharge. Male dogs may show interest in bitches in pro-oestrus, but the bitch will not allow mating.
Oestrus also lasts around 9 days. The bloody discharge typical of pro-oestrus is reduced. This is the time
when bitches will allow mating.
Dioestrus lasts around 45 days. After oestrus the same hormonal changes occur in the bitch whether or
not she is pregnant. During dioestrus levels of progesterone rise. Dioestrus ends spontaneously in the
non-pregnant state, and with whelping in the pregnant state. It is this part of the cycle that can result in a
'false-pregnancy'.
The actual oestrus middle period is when the bitch can be mated normally.

What breed is your bitch ?
toobendy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-06-2012, 04:16 PM
just like with humans every dog is different. please think carefully before deciding whether to breed, think about things like whether you could look after several pups for 8 weeks possibly having to basically become mother to them if the mother doesn't like them or doesn't produce enough milk. my stepdad bred from one of his labradors, he waited until she was 6 years old which from what I understand is quite old for a first litter & he didn't consider that she might not like the pups. He works away from home for up to 6 weeks at a time & so I ended up looking after the pups because the mother kept snapping at them, she would allow them to feed once or twice a day but I had to stand over her otherwise she would snap at them. Once she was done feeding them which was usually before they had had enough she would start growling & snapping at them. It is a big responsibility & can take up a lot of time & you also have to think about the fact you might not be able to find homes for all the pups, what would you do then? my stepdad ended up keeping 3 out of 4 pups because 2 of the pups had problems with their front legs. the litter was a complete failure. out of 5 pups 1 was stillborn 1 had problems with both front legs that was going to cause him a lot of pain so my stepdad decided to have him pts 1 had an enlarged heart & died at 6 months 1 has a skin problem & constantly has bald patches because of it & the other 1 we thought was healthy but he has just started having fits. I'm not trying to tell you you definitely shouldn't breed or it would be irresponsible I'm just saying make sure you do your research first & make sure you'll have time for the pups if you do have to be their mother
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2012, 04:31 PM
Hello,

Thanks.
no one can tell you how long it will last as all bitches are different. mine bitch usually bleeds for around 10 days, but i keep her separate from the dogs for the full 4 weeks, as ive known bitches be mated as late as day 28 of the cycle.

as for breeding, like others have said if you are asking such a basic question then you need to do alot more research. obviously we all have to start somewhere, and at least if you dont want to breed until the dog is 2/3 (the sensible thing to do) it gives you alot of time to research things more thoroughly.

you need to look at what health testing needs to be done for your breed (what breed is she?) and whether her results are good and healthy.

then you need to look at the stud dog, find one that is also healthy and compliments your bitch. you want to produce healthy puppies that follow the breed standard.

my bitch was mated three times during her season by the stud dog, i think (cant remember exact days without looking at the calendar) was day 9, 12 and 15.
dog_lover
New Member!
Male 

26-06-2012, 11:24 AM
Thanks for your help.
The reason I ask for mating reasons was due to another discussion being held elsewhere, who were incorrect, and I wanted to put them straight. However I asked in here more of a statement of (aren't i right) so just wanted to confirm.
I thank you for your help, but please be clear - I am not a backyard breeder, nor do I ever intend to be. This will be my first time. However from day one of getting my bitch have been taking every precaution to intend she is a good quality breed. I have been keeping records monthly of her growth, her character, and now will be keeping records of her season.
I have many books, and been making numerous notes, and continue questioning breeders, vets, and looking for advice on forums (such as this) to continue my learning and development for the situation.

I thank you for your help and clarification.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2012, 11:28 AM
Thanks for your help.
The reason I ask for mating reasons was due to another discussion being held elsewhere, who were incorrect, and I wanted to put them straight. However I asked in here more of a statement of (aren't i right) so just wanted to confirm.
I thank you for your help, but please be clear - I am not a backyard breeder, nor do I ever intend to be. This will be my first time. However from day one of getting my bitch have been taking every precaution to intend she is a good quality breed. I have been keeping records monthly of her growth, her character, and now will be keeping records of her season.
I have many books, and been making numerous notes, and continue questioning breeders, vets, and looking for advice on forums (such as this) to continue my learning and development for the situation.

I thank you for your help and clarification.
good to see you are taking steps in the right direction

this forum is here for any other problems you have, not just breeding or even just to share stories about your dog. would love to see some pictures in the picture section
Thalice
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-06-2012, 02:14 PM
Hi there

You need to get yourself a copy of 'The Book of the Bitch' - a veritable bible when it comes to owning and/or breeding from a bitch.

As others have said - every bitch is different - the most important thing to note, though, is that your bitch is at her most fertile and willing to mate just as you think the season is over. ie when the bleeding stops and the vulva begins to subside and soften - so beware !!

Thalice's Mum
Alex Wright
New Member!
Male 

26-06-2012, 03:26 PM
Well wishing your dog best of luck to give birth to some great kids... Looking forward to the day when you are going to upload the pics of those young puppies...